Sponsored by:

Looking into buying this 993 turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 07:08 AM
993KHTO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldman40
just making sure you are aware that the color is turquoise blue METALLIC, which is very different than turquoise blue (L3AS). it is advertised in the title slightly in a misleading way. this is a much greener hue than perhaps the photos let on. tbm is a rare color, mostly because it was very particular and still doesn't suit everyone's taste. otoh, tb is a rare color, because not many wanted it at the time. now it is a highly prized factory color, in part due to the notoriety of seinfeld's infamous 993 turbo S in tb, in part because it is has aged well in the serendipity of porschephile revisionist history.
Yes, thank you. This car is/should be L25D. I understand it to be slightly more green as well. Have you seen both in person? Do you believe people prefer TB over TBM simply because of the Seinfeld factor or because TBM is green or both? Thank you for your input--it is appreciated.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:49 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sincerely sorry to be devil's advocate but IMHO that's a color only an enthusiast would love. I think it does nothing for it (show pics to ANY layperson and I think they would likely comment "eh..it's ok")...but it is unique and this is an enthusiast forum so......

Are the white gauges on the build sheet? With 23k on the clock where are the original gauges....or are these overlays?

Did I miss the price?
Old 06-11-2016, 09:58 AM
carguy19
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 993KHTO
Yes, thank you. This car is/should be L25D. I understand it to be slightly more green as well. Have you seen both in person? Do you believe people prefer TB over TBM simply because of the Seinfeld factor or because TBM is green or both? Thank you for your input--it is appreciated.
I looked at this car personally about 2 months ago. You can email me and I can tell you about it. I can also give you some insight to Rich Sloan. He is a great guy. I've known him for years.

aloicarl@gmail.com
Old 06-11-2016, 10:09 AM
993KHTO
Racer

Originally Posted by Ridin Dirty
I'm sincerely sorry to be devil's advocate but IMHO that's a color only an enthusiast would love. I think it does nothing for it (show pics to ANY layperson and I think they would likely comment "eh..it's ok")...but it is unique and this is an enthusiast forum so......

Are the white gauges on the build sheet? With 23k on the clock where are the original gauges....or are these overlays?

Did I miss the price?
I appreciate the "devil's advocate" point!! Thank you! What is kind of funny is that many people seem to love Riviera Blue, but it is simply not for me. Even TB, which was mentioned above, really isn't really for me either. I sort of like this metallic color but need to see it in person. For me, I have to see it in person. For example, I absolutely fell in love with Amazon Green on 964's--but I never cared for that color in pictures...
Old 06-11-2016, 10:55 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

I appreciate the "devil's advocate" point!! Thank you! What is kind of funny is that many people seem to love Riviera Blue, but it is simply not for me. Even TB, which was mentioned above, really isn't really for me either. I sort of like this metallic color but need to see it in person. For me, I have to see it in person. For example, I absolutely fell in love with Amazon Green on 964's--but I never cared for that color in pictures...
ok so priced fairly.

maybe it does show better in person than these pics. but to me pics make it look like just an old Porsche nothing special except to enthusiasts.

i like being able to drive anywhere and people still staring at the curves and relish in the repeated comments of "that's 20 years old?... no....I don't believe it... it's beautiful".
I just acquired a grabber blue Mustang GT500 (662 hp & grabber is Fords riviera blue). I have a staff of young adults and just the other day one of em commented "the over the top mustang is cool but your oldest 911 actually is still the one".

this color is coveted b/c it's unique but does nothing for the curves. That rare color should bring more of a wow factor IMO.
....strange i like all the 993 colors, even amethyst (anyone remember Barney?) I remember Barney was repainted a different color though; but painted quite well if i recall correctly.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:14 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is the capricious nature of car collecting and history why one color is more coveted than another. both are "rare" colors. tbm is rare and obscure, but all that matters is if you enjoy it.

unfortunately rare doesn't always equate to more valuable in the car collecting world.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:42 PM
burton
Rennlist Member

It appears that this car may have one of Gert's front protection bars installed.

I wonder if the car was ever owned by a Rennlister?
Old 06-11-2016, 02:57 PM
993KHTO
Racer

Originally Posted by burton
It appears that this car may have one of Gert's front protection bars installed. I wonder if the car was ever owned by a Rennlister?
Would love to talk to a RL member that has owned it! Yes, it does have Gert's FPB.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:04 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Many years ago a RL bought a TBM 993 turbo off eBay. My memory is kind of sketchy, but this is what I recall. I'll try searching in a couple days when I'm back on my laptop.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:11 PM
993KHTO
Racer

Originally Posted by Ridin Dirty
This car has option "X71" which I believe is aluminum instrument dials. These gauges in the car are not white. I've seen the car in person and have similar gauges in my 993 NB. That said, I am not certain if these are the dials from option "X71." (But they seem to be?)
Old 06-11-2016, 10:05 PM
toddturbos
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have this option on my 97 TT, funny thing is, I currently have the "exact" milage on mine as well. If you look closely you'll find the face around the right screw is starting to delaminate. I had a similar problem. These OEM aluminum face garages are no longer available. I ended up having to purchase track down and purchase "two" OEM used sets before i found one that matched with my existing set. Because mine has appeared to been garaged all its life, the gauges have no fading, the first set I bought had slight fading. It was actually Palo Alto Speedo that picked up on it. I was told once the delaminates starts, it continues to get worse and eventually flakes off. Anyway, it bugged me enough and I wanted my TT as close to perfect as possible. Point being, it's just an awareness issue that you should know about.

On a side note, the only business dealing I had with Richard Sloan was a positive one, he brokered the sale of my 97 TTS, was nothing but professional. Easy transaction. Great looking TT, I wish you luck. Todd
Old 06-11-2016, 10:53 PM
993KHTO
Racer

Originally Posted by toddturbos
I have this option on my 97 TT, funny thing is, I currently have the "exact" milage on mine as well. If you look closely you'll find the face around the right screw is starting to delaminate. I had a similar problem. These OEM aluminum face garages are no longer available. I ended up having to purchase track down and purchase "two" OEM used sets before i found one that matched with my existing set. Because mine has appeared to been garaged all its life, the gauges have no fading, the first set I bought had slight fading. It was actually Palo Alto Speedo that picked up on it. I was told once the delaminates starts, it continues to get worse and eventually flakes off. Anyway, it bugged me enough and I wanted my TT as close to perfect as possible. Point being, it's just an awareness issue that you should know about.

On a side note, the only business dealing I had with Richard Sloan was a positive one, he brokered the sale of my 97 TTS, was nothing but professional. Easy transaction. Great looking TT, I wish you luck. Todd
Todd, thank you very much. I have this option on my 993 C4 Cab. However, none of my gauges have experienced delamination. I was wondering what was going on with the gauge face on this 993 TT. Now I know. And now I know it is difficult to replace. Thank you.

I've found both Brett and Richard to be very professional as you mentioned.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:58 PM
993KHTO
Racer

1 correction to a post I made earlier...Paint code L25D is simply "Turquoise Metallic." Thus, I believe this car color is simply Turquoise Metallic. As I look through the list of 993 paint codes, I do not see "Turquoise Blue Metallic" at all. Apologies. (Obviously there is "Turquoise Blue" etc...)
Old 06-12-2016, 02:50 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 122 Posts

I just sold a 993 Cab w/ 16k miles in this color. Here are a few photos to give you another idea of what the color looks like:

Old 06-16-2016, 11:01 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Be sure you get a good ppi, that car was definitely a RLrs car, I'll also search my sources.
I know Sloan, he consigned a car for me once, he's a nice guy but ultimately he's a used car salesman, due diligence. My understanding is that all the cars are on consignment.
GL

Quick Reply: Looking into buying this 993 turbo...