Sponsored by:

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 06:53 PM
monkeyrs6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak

Ok so I have an oli leak but not sure where from. I had my 48k service done by the main dealer back in november, they pointed out a small oil leek saying it was nothing to worry about and that i should use their 10w 60 oil instead of the 5w 40 i had them put in. Anyway the car was put away for the winter and i just got it out again two days ago. i took it for its annual Uk ministry of transport test which included an emissions test which it passed no problem. It was noted that some smoke was coming from the right hand side wheel arch that smelled like burning oil.On returning home i jacked the car up and removed the under tray. Sure enough oil was collecting on the turbo and burning off. The oil seems to be coming from where the turbo disappears up into the engine. As the exhaust is not smoking and passed emissions i doubt it is a duff turbo. Could it be down to the car standing for some time and oil leaking over six months. Does not seem to be the rocker cover but something higher up in the engine. ANYBODY got a suggestion as to where it might be coming from..Tim
Old 05-21-2016, 06:58 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

if it's the right side after a recent service, and from higher up, it's usually the tech's putting oil in too fast and overflowing around oil fill tube...
Old 05-21-2016, 07:00 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

take the intercooler off and wipe up the oil around the fill tube/around the engine tin.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:05 PM
monkeyrs6
Intermediate

Service was back in November. Is the intercooler easy to remove..Tim
Old 05-21-2016, 08:00 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Yup pretty straight forward

8 mm screws for the shroud ?x6
6mm Allen to the throttle body x3
Electrical connector
13mm bolts to fan shroud x2 (have your hand behind to catch the square nuts)
2 clamps to intercooler hose (note orientation of the clamps)
Old 05-21-2016, 08:27 PM
monkeyrs6
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Ok Many thanks , will give it a go tomorrow and report back..Tim
Old 05-21-2016, 09:31 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If the "tech" did spill oil, it'll be all over the base of the fill tube, all down the side of the boost hose, all underneath the PW Steering reservoir, and puddling just about anywhere it can. Get a can of "CNC QD electronic cleaner". Maybe two cans. This stuff is great for degreasing without any harm to paint, plastic, rubber, or electronics. Just pull the intercooler, place a few ratty towels u dear car, and start spraying the smack out of the whole area. After you've done it from above, get under and spray all of the turbo/exhaust areas that have any oil. Good luck
Old 05-22-2016, 03:48 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

If it not from an overfill, be aware these cars do tend to develop leaks when sitting for prolong periods. Your best after a storage to get the car up on a lift to check the usual spots regardless - valve covers, chain cover gasket etc.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:52 PM
monkeyrs6
Intermediate

Ok so i removed the intercooler today (10 minute job), No mass of oil near the dipstick tube. What i did find was quite a bit of oil dribbled out of the right hand side of the intercooler. So i cleaned it out and took the car for a run . After warming it up i checked the oil level,no problem there. I revved the car up and looked for smoke,none appeared and the car felt really strong on the warm up. Next i removed the intercooler again and found a small amount of oil had collected again. Allso some oil had collected on the bottom of the turbo but hard to see where it was coming from, other than somewhere around where the turbo joins the pipe up in the engine . So where do I go from here, all suggestions welcome..Tim
Old 05-22-2016, 01:01 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by monkeyrs6
Ok so i removed the intercooler today (10 minute job), No mass of oil near the dipstick tube. What i did find was quite a bit of oil dribbled out of the right hand side of the intercooler. So i cleaned it out and took the car for a run . After warming it up i checked the oil level,no problem there. I revved the car up and looked for smoke,none appeared and the car felt really strong on the warm up. Next i removed the intercooler again and found a small amount of oil had collected again. Allso some oil had collected on the bottom of the turbo but hard to see where it was coming from, other than somewhere around where the turbo joins the pipe up in the engine . So where do I go from here, all suggestions welcome..Tim
Pull the turbo intake tube from the inlet side of the turbo. See if oil is in this tube. If so, an oil overfill is likely. When you say level is fine. It can be too high. Shouldn't be past half way on twist, and to bottom third would be better. If oil has permeated your turbo, chances are it won't be good. Carbon kills
Also, if you get it figured out. Flush intercooler (gas works well, but let it completely dry before install) and clean as much as you can.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:23 PM
monkeyrs6
Intermediate

Hi thanks for Quick reply. Oil level is below bottom third of twist. Just pulled the plastic inlet pipe as instructed and there seems to be a small amount of oil around the inside of the pipe but not really on the vains of turbo. I take it this is not good..Tim
Old 05-22-2016, 02:28 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

I'm sure by now you've read Kevin's sticky about failed turbochargers. Small amounts of oil in the intercooler is normal. Not supposed to have much oil in the intake side of the turbo though. It depends on if you think the leak is from the turbo or from above like you mentioned in the initial post. The other fail item in that area (above the turbo) is the hydraulic line - pentosin vs oil ...
Old 05-22-2016, 11:23 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 237 Likes on 159 Posts

If it's a gasket.....

http://lucasoil.ca/products/engine-o...-oil-stop-leak
Old 05-23-2016, 11:57 AM
monkeyrs6
Intermediate

Removed sump plugs from turbos today left them for 25 mins until they stopped dripping. Firstly drivers side (Right hand) had no copper sealing washer. Secondly only 1 1/2 oz from drivers right hand sump and best part of a pint from left hand side. Also now think the leak on the right hand side is coming from the jubilee clip where the cold side charged air exits and joins the pipe leading to the intercooler. I have also checked the oil filters and both are Porsche. As stated before i was surprised to find only a smear of oil on the air inlet hose and the inlet and wheel on the turbo looked clean with no oil. Also no play in the shaft. Now even more confused. Where is Kevin when you need him Tim
Old 05-23-2016, 10:05 PM
nine45s
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I would start by changing the small oil filter and be sure not to over tighten it, I have seen new filters (Porsche) cause this and some people claim it's from over tightening.
Keep the oil level at the bottom of the stick when engine is fully warmed up.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak