Sponsored by:

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 10:32 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 241 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by nine45s
I would start by changing the small oil filter and be sure not to over tighten it, I have seen new filters (Porsche) cause this and some people claim it's from over tightening.
Keep the oil level at the bottom of the stick when engine is fully warmed up.
I wonder if there's some variability between cars? That'd be about 1/2 a litre light on mine. I fill so that the dipstick level is comparable to the temp gauge. So 1/3 of the way up the stick @ first temp gauge line (7 o'clock) and just about 1/2 way up the stick @ 2nd line (9 o'clock). Mine doesn't run hotter and never smokes.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:17 PM
monkeyrs6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if the small filter was damaged how come so much oil in left hand turbo and very little in right side turbo. If oil was being pulled through right hand turbo how come no oil in right hand inlet pipe yet so much in intercooler. Tim
Old 05-25-2016, 04:29 PM
9993tt
2nd Gear

Default Oil leak

I had a similar problem with my 993tt. The oil leak was difficult to find. The oil leak came from the oil supply hose, to turbo, between air and exhaust side. First time it was enough to tighten it on turbo side. But after a while it started to leak again. The next was to change out the hose together with the check valve with new. At the same time the workshop replaced the small tank below the turbo also. They said it had a crack. But this solved the problem for me. No more oil leak and no blue smoke.
If the leak is on the passanger side it is easy to see the pipe if you remove the wheel. It is more difficult on other side.

85 930 iris blau
96 993 speed gelb
96 993 schwartz
96 993tt speed gelb
Old 05-25-2016, 04:32 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

if oil is in to the intercooler (if significant amount) , and if it is leaking from the intercooler hose/turbo connection on the right side - it must have gotten there from the right turbo (seals). Might have been a temporary thing i.e. overfill that was corrected? or intermittently working small filter? I'd clean everything up (including he intercooler hose) and put things back together and reassess.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:18 PM
monkeyrs6
Intermediate

Yes Oil must be being pulled through the right side turbo just supprised the small tank is empty and no oil in the intercooler pipe. The first thing i did was clean out the intercooler and pipe then ran the car to check the oil level( which was spot on )then checked the intercooler again which had yet more oil in it. The GT2 Stage one k24 turbos have only 4k miles on them and no play or black smoke so i have ruled them out. So left with the small oil filter which was installed by Porsche. A techy has suggested a blockage in the turbo return line or blocked turbo small sump. Just taken delivery of new small oil filter(which i am hoping is the problem) just waiting for removal tool. Have booked car into the main dealer who serviced the car but not confident they will admit to any error should they find a fault with their work. Many thanks for peoples imput..Tim
Old 05-25-2016, 09:37 PM
nine45s
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
I wonder if there's some variability between cars? That'd be about 1/2 a litre light on mine. I fill so that the dipstick level is comparable to the temp gauge. So 1/3 of the way up the stick @ first temp gauge line (7 o'clock) and just about 1/2 way up the stick @ 2nd line (9 o'clock). Mine doesn't run hotter and never smokes.
No doubt there is variability between cars, I can not run with the dipstick at the 1/2 way point.
I have check valves on the feed lines but stock sump return lines. I may be able to run a higher oil level with the P trap return lines.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:35 PM
monkeyrs6
Intermediate

I would start by changing the small oil filter and be sure not to over tighten it, I have seen new filters (Porsche) cause this and some people claim it's from over tightening.
Keep the oil level at the bottom of the stick when engine is fully warmed up.
Ok so i have just pulled the small filter, hoping to find a failed valve inside. No, the filter was perfect and not on overly tight. So where next.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:49 PM
race.it
Instructor

Have you cleaned the whole area and had the car running with the wheel off where have seen the oil. Then get the car running with maybe a light shining in to see if there are any fumes with oil burning on the exhaust etc?
Old 05-26-2016, 09:59 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 241 Likes on 163 Posts

No doubt there is variability between cars, I can not run with the dipstick at the 1/2 way point.
I have check valves on the feed lines but stock sump return lines. I may be able to run a higher oil level with the P trap return lines.
That's 1/2 way when the engine is quite hot. I only have the Turbo Kraft feeds with stock returns.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:41 PM
nine45s
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by monkeyrs6
Ok so i have just pulled the small filter, hoping to find a failed valve inside. No, the filter was perfect and not on overly tight. So where next.
I could never see anything wrong when I inspected filters I removed that caused the problem.
Put the new filter on, clean intercooler, tubes, etc., make sure it does not have too much oil, and drive it.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:51 AM
monkeyrs6
Intermediate

How much oil should there be in the turbo sumps, emptied today found less than 1oz in each after 10 mile run, but no oil in intercooler after changing small filter. Car shows between 1 and 2 at tick over on pressure gauge but reved over 2 jumps up to the top of the Gauge. Could i have some sort of blockage on oil lines.Tim
Old 05-27-2016, 08:22 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

First, never use stop leak additives, second, I hope you are running a full synthetic oil.
Since the car was parked for some months, wash down all the oils residue and drive it for extended periods for several days. Sometimes the seals dry out from lack of use.
Check for leaks after each use to see if you can spot the leak.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:53 PM
monkeyrs6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rstarga
First, never use stop leak additives, second, I hope you are running a full synthetic oil.
Since the car was parked for some months, wash down all the oils residue and drive it for extended periods for several days. Sometimes the seals dry out from lack of use.
Check for leaks after each use to see if you can spot the leak.
Yes top quality 5w 40 fully synthetic. What do you make of the pressure gauge jumping up to the top over 2000 revs. How much oil shuld be in turbo sumps???. Tim
Old 05-30-2016, 10:14 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by monkeyrs6
Yes top quality 5w 40 fully synthetic. What do you make of the pressure gauge jumping up to the top over 2000 revs. How much oil shuld be in turbo sumps???. Tim
I would surely expect leaks, regardless of oil quality, if you're using any 5w40 oil in a TT.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:11 AM
monkeyrs6
Intermediate

I will replace with the Harley stuff next oil change or do you think i should do straight away .. What do you think about the oil pressure Gauge ?? Ta Tim

Quick Reply: Oil Leak