Sponsored by:

Time tackle oil leaks.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 03:08 AM
JHR55
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time tackle oil leaks.

Next project is to stop all the oil leaks. Had purchased the lower valve cover and gaskets. Thinking of changing the clutch and the timing chain gasket too. How about the timing chain cover? Do I need to replace them?

While the engine is out, what else should I change?
Old 04-09-2016, 09:08 AM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Time tackle oil leaks.

Mine were leaking both timing chain covers but did at the same time the valve covers as well. Was doneweith the engine in it's place though. For the clutch you can keep in place the engine as well but might be easier for some to take down the whole package.

Replace the chain tensioner gaskets as well while you are at it, bit tricky to compress it back but totally doable. If not done it will leak sooner than later especially the right side which face down to the floor.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:47 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 241 Likes on 163 Posts

Not trying to hijack this post but I was chatting with an owner about engine oil leaks in his 60k mile 993tt. He said he stopped all of them with Lucas Stop Leak. Anyone try this?
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2016, 01:09 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Not trying to hijack this post but I was chatting with an owner about engine oil leaks in his 60k mile 993tt. He said he stopped all of them with Lucas Stop Leak. Anyone try this?
Soooo tempting arent they? Magic in a bottle. But in my personal experience if it sounds too good to be true........
Maybe this is different. The brand is certainly well respected. I used a similar product on my old cayenne turbo. It didnt like it. It immediately began running like a cement mixer almost like it was going to violently shake itself apart. Yup that bad. Thankfully only $1500 to clean it out of the engine at dealer. (that's partially sarcastic but it could've been worse much worse as dealers do not repair /open these engines in the states)

It would be great if this stuff is different I've got a leak in my through bolts. Eventually will have to crack the case open probably for 12k at least. On the advice of this forum I changed to mobile one V twin 20/50 oil. Using that nearly stopped my leak. That weight oil took my leak from a Silver dollar size small puddle per week (using the Porsche recommended oil) to about 5 drops per week using the V-twin
Old 04-11-2016, 02:24 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

I'm wondering if your experience is due to the tighter tolerances on the water koolers. I used the Lucas Oil Stabilizer in my '74 260Z and it helped. The Leak Stop eliminated all bleeding, including the front main seal, and had no effect on performance. I used both of these products on the advice of my tech who uses them as a matter of course in these old Z's. Next oil change I'll use the less invasive Oil Stabilizer.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:59 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Man - you guys are braver than me - I used v-twin and no additives period. Unless I know exactly what that stuff does, I really do not want it in my engine.

Is there any specific information on the Lucas product for instance on how it works? For instance, if it contains particulates to plug gaps on oil leaks, it may also plug piston sprayers, which are pretty small on the 993. That sort of stuff.

If it's any easy to fix leak (like covers, etc) then I just fix them. Base cylinder gaskets and through bolts are different, but I am going to tolerate a fair amount of oil leaking before I tear the engine down ...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-19-2016, 07:07 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

I had your concerns as well Mike but was unable to find evidence of negative experiences through first hand users, several techs or the internet. In fact I found nothing but positive reviews on this product. Soooo, I was not hesitant to use it in my 260Z but did not use it in my 993tt. Forked out the $$$$ to have the valve cover gaskets replaced, plus plugs, etc. "while they were in there".
Old 04-19-2016, 07:16 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I know the 993 engines for example are quite sophisticated and unique - not sure for instance if the 260Z has piston squirters, or individual cam oiling bars. Any product which "stops leaks" also will stop spayers, etc. The new damage will not be immediate but might take time, or in the the case of a piston squirter, a hole is burned through an overheated piston ... I think it's a good choice not to put this into your 993 engine.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Time tackle oil leaks.