Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem with dual exhaust tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 01:31 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

how are your inserts designed? maybe wrapping the inserts in wool prior to bolting them into the fangs? I suppose you could put some into the tips prior to attaching them but the wool would be obstructing the exhaust/exhaust would have to pass through the wool (from what you describe) - no? Not sure how obstructive it would be and not sure how long that would last! Be a good experiment though..
Old 03-14-2016, 02:11 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Remember the original can openers, that'd punch the triangular hole to pour out of cans? That's what the holes, staggered in the baffle look like. There's about 8 holes (2 on each side) in them. Your idea of wrapping it around the insert, would probably be a bit more defined/equal, than just shoving some in before an install. I could keep it uniform and hope to reduce it, w/o losing too much power. The "whooshing", "jet fighter" sound through the front straight, has been my biggest problem. I pass sound (88.6), but those who don't, have complained about my car. I was told once, to "back off" through the straight. )-:
Would like to avoid any lifting.
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 185
Size:  164.4 KB
Old 03-14-2016, 03:19 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you passed sound, what right did anyone have to tell you to back off?!
Old 03-14-2016, 03:39 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pstoppani
If you passed sound, what right did anyone have to tell you to back off?!
That's what I figured. Going up the hill towards the top of the corkscrew, I get blk flagged. Pull in and talk to track stewards. They say "you're good at the sound booth, but through the straight, it sounds like a jet". Then said they were advised to "talk to me about sound". So the rest of the weekend I backed off a bit thru the straight. After some inquiries, I found out some guy was whining to the coordinator about his car getting dinked for blowing sound. As he was whining, I went thru the front straight. He says "what about that guy"? So they asked them to pull me in and talk to me about it. That's when I decided to make the longer fangs with the MC baffles. I still get people asking how I pass sound? It's more of an air rushing sound, as opposed to exhaust sound. Not a big deal. Just want to do what's needed, so I don't have to lift anywhere (-:
Old 03-14-2016, 07:21 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know, unless they can show you that the car is too loud via a db reading, you can drive WOT and they shouldn't be black flagging because some twit complained (it happens all the time). Plus, the jet sound of our cars is not really very loud ; just sounds odd.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:54 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

I agree with you, but also understand what's at stake. Although the sound booth is at a specific location, they can test for sound violations anywhere on the track. I eventually spoke to the event coordinator about it. He wasn't upset with me (or my car), but pointed out the GM for the track, has his office right in front, of the front straight. All of the people at MRLS and the people that have run the events I have been to, are all outstanding, gracious enthusiasts. The problems with "sound" at the track, have nothing to do with the track management, event coordinators, or (for the most part) motorsports enthusiasts. It lies with a small group of extremely litigious morons. So until this group either gives up (not likely), mysteriously disappears, or is stopped by the courts (also not likely), I'll do whatever I have to do, to totally inconvenience myself, so I can abide by the sound restrictions. Yes it sucks, but the beauty of the track is more than worth it.
What really pisses me off, is the idiots (who know of the limits, regularly reminded of the limits, and can do what's nec. to not exceed them) go and rip past the sound booth at the end of their session.

Hey, Ryojo. I'm sorry to rant on your thread. Got side tracked (-:
Aloha
Richard
Old 03-15-2016, 04:08 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

No problem Richard, rant away, therapeutic to share!
Old 03-21-2016, 07:20 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Another RLer had these "997" tips for sale a while ago. Picked em up, got em welded together, and kinda like them. Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 150
Size:  205.1 KB

Quick Reply: problem with dual exhaust tips