Sponsored by:

CAE shifter with 2wd conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 02:58 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default CAE shifter with 2wd conversion

I've done multiple things to the shifter over the years from stiffening the linkages with washers to 4wd short shift kits, 2wd conversion and current 2wd short shift kit - FD motorsport forward rod/?platinum rod (I believe I have a precision universal joint and not just the golden rod). The FD shifter actually works pretty well and have been happy with it, but wanted a change...

The 2wd conversion needs a shift box that needs to be welded or bolted in (I bolted mine in - I have a thread somewhere). Anyways, had been interested in this shifter for a while and just got it from Germany the other day. Looks like if you are thinking about 2wd conversion, this shifter would make the conversion easier as it doesn't need the shift box (if you have a c2, the shift box needs to be modified/cut), so I just need to unbolt my shift box and use this shifter. Not sure if this is clear but will post pic when I put it in. Looking at the parts, looks nicely made. Should be pretty easy diy from the looks of it. Took some up close pics so you can see the mechanism. (Also there was some discussion a while back about the stock shift **** and if it has a screw or not... mine which is stock has no screw, just some rubber pieces and pressure fit, just need to make sure the rubber pieces are in the right position). Took the centre console out, covered the parking brake mechanism with some material. That's all I've done for now, if I have time over the weekend will finish the install.
Attached Images        
Old 12-18-2015, 03:34 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Not quite sure how the underside works - so there is a pin below that attaches to the solid rod back to the transmission? I see the rod there with quite a big bracket at the end ...
Old 12-18-2015, 10:47 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

There's not much to it Mike, the rod as you can see in the second pic has a bend in it so that the tip of it directly attaches to the shifter via that collar on the shifter, and there is a spring mechanism for centering and limits of the H pattern. Will become clearer when I put it together.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:23 PM
White911TTOne
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Skull, check my old post if you need help on the install. Mark.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...e-shifter.html
Old 12-20-2015, 05:57 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

^cool, exactly what I need. Did do the same thought process with the 4wd delete and not needing the box. Fortunately I bolted the box to those same nuts in the tunnel so should be straightforward to install this shifter. Still at work though this weekend, might get some time in the garage today, might not. Good to see you thought the cae it was a worth while upgrade.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:52 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

More or less finished the install. Pretty straight forward, worst part was removing the zillion nuts holding the various under car panels, although I got to admire my cf handiwork.
Have attached some pics to show how the rod connects to shifter. Our trans has an internal shift gate but the adjustable stops on the CAE acts as a gate. It has an adjustable centring spring that hold the shifter in the 3/4 plane (to augment stock). Then the adjustable stops for 1/2 and 5/6, as well has the reverse. Pretty neat. Slightly stiffer/more precise than the full FD SSK set up and the throw is approx 60% or so and the **** closer to the steering wheel. Will attach vid with close up to show how it works.
Attached Images     
Old 12-21-2015, 01:56 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

weight loss stock 3.8kg - CAE 2.3 kg = 1.5 Kg

Old 12-21-2015, 02:10 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

I'm actually amazed the shifting works with this single rod and how you can eliminate all the mechanism of the stock system. Pretty cool.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:04 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

So some feedback after some time with this shifter and use on the track. I really like this shifter. The throws are slightly stiffer and the action feels more 'positive' as mentioned previously. The reverse lock out although you don't need it is kind of cool. On the track, there was one up hill left hander after a straight that after having to quickly shift from 5 to 4, would slip out of 4th on occasion (not sure if I needed a rebuild or poor technique as it's a quick shift) and I got into the habit of holding my hand on the lever to keep it in 4th for a extra second while going up the hill. But with this shifter it was not a problem at all and cured the tendency to slip out of 4th. I don't think I'm shifting any quicker as although the throw is shorter, I tend to be more deliberate as it is stiffer - but I do like the **** being closer to the steering wheel. My lap times are faster on my first track day vs later in the season last year but seems my first track day times usually seem quicker for some reason so can't really comment. Also my exhaust is different

Quick Reply: CAE shifter with 2wd conversion