Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 design, noise in gearbox? Diff?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:07 AM
Will T
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 911 design, noise in gearbox? Diff?

I've owned my 97 TT for 4 years now. It always makes a mechanical noise like gears grinding in the first few gears. It sat for a few months and started to leak a bit. Upon startup it smoked a whole lot. I've been driving it regularly lately and the leak and smoke are mostly gone but the noise is still there. I took it to McKenna Porsche and they told me I need a transmission rebuilt ($26k!!! Were they on something?) I'm thinking of taking it to 911 design in Montclair for a second opinion, not sure if anyone has any experience with them? Or any other suggestions? Thanks.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:12 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

A place called gbox sells rebuilt units, or will do yours. Should be a few grand less, but the labor is what kills. On a 997tt its like 30hrs book time, probably similar in a 993tt.
There are a few good places in nj, ny.
C
Old 07-01-2015, 02:25 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Why on earth anyone would take a 993TT and devalue it with a gearbox exchange that breaks up a numbers matching car is beyond me. Gbox is also the Motormeister of gearbox builders. Buyer beware.

Kirk at 911 Design is an excellent gearbox mechanic. Go visit them. They have a very impressive facility and a little mini Porsche "museum", including one of Jeff Zwart's old Pike Peak Hill Climb cars on display, among other things.

This 964 thread will give you an idea of the caliber of facility they have:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...per-964-a.html

And no, they won't charge you $26k!!! That must be the price for a new crate gearbox out of Germany. That sure as hell isn't any rebuild job they would do in house. Even if you filled the gearbox with a bunch of my jewelry you would still be hard pressed to even break $15k.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:24 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Will T
I've owned my 97 TT for 4 years now. It always makes a mechanical noise like gears grinding in the first few gears. It sat for a few months and started to leak a bit. Upon startup it smoked a whole lot. I've been driving it regularly lately and the leak and smoke are mostly gone but the noise is still there. I took it to McKenna Porsche and they told me I need a transmission rebuilt ($26k!!! Were they on something?) I'm thinking of taking it to 911 design in Montclair for a second opinion, not sure if anyone has any experience with them? Or any other suggestions? Thanks.
I bought my 4.2L Cup motor from 911 Design. They also did some frame straightening and alignment on my Cup. Very good work, very fair pricing.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:46 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Why on earth anyone would take a 993TT and devalue it with a gearbox exchange that breaks up a numbers matching car is beyond me. Gbox is also the Motormeister of gearbox builders. Buyer beware.

Kirk at 911 Design is an excellent gearbox mechanic. Go visit them. They have a very impressive facility and a little mini Porsche "museum", including one of Jeff Zwart's old Pike Peak Hill Climb cars on display, among other things.

This 964 thread will give you an idea of the caliber of facility they have:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...per-964-a.html

And no, they won't charge you $26k!!! That must be the price for a new crate gearbox out of Germany. That sure as hell isn't any rebuild job they would do in house. Even if you filled the gearbox with a bunch of my jewelry you would still be hard pressed to even break $15k.
Sorry, I'd never heard anything bad about gbox, just thought the op wanted to save some coin. Good to know. Didn't mean to get you wound up, I also suggested he rebuild it as another option.
C
Old 07-02-2015, 10:23 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Sorry, I'd never heard anything bad about gbox, just thought the op wanted to save some coin. Good to know. Didn't mean to get you wound up, I also suggested he rebuild it as another option.
C
No apologies required. You didn't wind me up, I just don't want to see people get taken advantage of. People just need to remember that cheap rebuilds are often expensive in the long run. Plus it usually doesn't make sense to spend an extra $400 on the job with shipping unless one owns a Cup.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:23 AM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lowflying
Chris, the best guy out there is Bill Rader Motorsport, nothing comes close to him., cheers.
Radar did the gearbox in my Cup. Great work and reasonable price.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:27 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Bill is among the best of the best. If you are in a position to remove the gearbox yourself, maybe you could take a Vegas weekend? Otherwise I just do see the logic in shipping one of these. Loren has Kirk do all their Cup Car gearboxes in house. Bill may do AJR and Park Place's boxes but Loren has won PDC several times. Really two top notch operations.

ps. Bill is my single largest dealer. I think the world of him and his work. I am in no way discouraging working with him. I just don't think he offers $400 of added value, which is about what the shipping will cost.

Quick Reply: 911 design, noise in gearbox? Diff?