Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know these are just asking prices on e-bay BUT WOW !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 10:50 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Then why does one hear of the 993 with bad turbos which in the end cost a small fortune to fix. Due to by the time the turbos have gone other issue's have arisen. For some reaeon its always more than just the turbos. Wridden hard and put away wet.
It's because they went to an untrustworthy shop and are not mechanically inclined themselves or have a friend who knows these cars to seek proper advice.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:00 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried writting a response three seperate times and each have flown off the quick reply. So I will just say they were usuall quoted $35K-$40K for part's and Labour. And then I would say, guess I've Hung out around Robertson's for too long and would say "oy gevalt"!
Old 05-31-2015, 12:59 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

I tried writting a response three seperate times and each have flown off the quick reply. So I will just say they were usuall quoted $35K-$40K for part's and Labour. And then I would say, guess I've Hung out around Robertson's for too long and would say "oy gevalt"!
so an oil drip from turbos now requires $35k to $45k to repair?

Thats a set of k24s, a full rebuild, a new clutch, and a few happy endings.

lets try to keep this forum somewhat factual.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:49 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
a few happy endings.
A few only? Maybe if you are going Elliot Spitzer route.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
so an oil drip from turbos now requires $35k to $45k to repair?

Thats a set of k24s, a full rebuild, a new clutch, and a few happy endings.

lets try to keep this forum somewhat factual.
Well unfortunately for a lot of folks who cannot get down into the guts of the car's engine and don't know squat about the system'; we can and do get taken for the superlative ride. Saying a new Turbo or Remanufactured Turbo cost X amount is fine, then labor is added and other cost... so forth and so on. Adds up and with unscrupulous dealer's and shops WILL take advantage of people with car troubles and really give them a shellacking when the final bill shows up.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:07 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Well unfortunately for a lot of folks who cannot get down into the guts of the car's engine and don't know squat about the system'; we can and do get taken for the superlative ride. Saying a new Turbo or Remanufactured Turbo cost X amount is fine, then labor is added and other cost... so forth and so on. Adds up and with unscrupulous dealer's and shops WILL take advantage of people with car troubles and really give them a shellacking when the final bill shows up.
Can't this happen with any car? Turbo or non-turbo. The real money comes when the engine or transmission get's taken apart. Not bolt on parts...

Turbo's add a bit of complexity and more torture on the oil but it is also designed to accommodate such things.

Johnny
Old 06-04-2015, 01:10 AM
COBRA MAN OF UT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If interested text 8017216098
Old 06-08-2015, 05:58 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 234 Likes on 157 Posts

So I did a quick scan of these ebay listings from this May 21 post. Only the reasonably priced ones have received bids while the high priced ones are not getting any action. Looks like nothing has sold. What does that tell ya?

Old 06-08-2015, 06:00 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

What's funny is that I get almost as many "An item you were watching has been relisted!" emails as I do "New items for sale" emails from eBay nowadays. It's certainly a buyer's market if you want to overpay.

I've been thinking about the "eBay isn't the real market" claim I hear sometimes, too. I don't know, if I had the cash on hand and a car I liked popped up on eBay, and the price was right, why wouldn't I bid on it and buy it? If a nice looking 30k mile car set at $160k doesn't get a single bid, is that because this secret cabal of real buyers doesn't know eBay exists, or is it because the car just isn't worth that?

Quick Reply: I know these are just asking prices on e-bay BUT WOW !!