Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know these are just asking prices on e-bay BUT WOW !!

Old 05-27-2015, 09:02 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 232 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by DiegoR
Really? I did know the 96' - models supposedly didn't come with that gem of engineering! Maybe somehwere in the 96' year they started to fit them
The last couple months of '96 production also has the beefier input shaft. Guess this was before JIT delivery.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:05 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heheh, like I said before those prices are surely in Pesos....

Jaime
Old 05-28-2015, 02:24 AM
Will T
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a few more ads appeared on eBay today with crazy asking prices. Does anyone know if any and how much they are actually sold for?
Old 05-28-2015, 08:38 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well two personal experiences for me were:

1. Amelia island auction the arena red 30k reserve for 190 i think was bid up to 180 and didn't sell. So it was indeed bid pretty high and that car was in fair condition. It needed a massive detail....couldn't even tell if paint was good it was so dirty; shocking for a high end auction house.

2. the blue one in my hometown by Mecum auctions. This was very rough....pretty beat/but all there...i took pics of this and posted....had 110k miles on it and who knows what mechanical issues it had...oil dripping under one turbo i noticed......i think it sold for 55.....but in hindsight I should have bought it..... right in my back yard
Old 05-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Will T
Just a few more ads appeared on eBay today with crazy asking prices.
I get those alerts seemingly every morning these days. Right now I'd say there are more 993TTs on eBay than there have been at any one time in the past 2 years or so.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:19 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 232 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
I get those alerts seemingly every morning these days. Right now I'd say there are more 993TTs on eBay than there have been at any one time in the past 2 years or so.
....and now there are 17 on cars.com. An all time high for the past 7 years I think.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:09 AM
TTS in Tokyo
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gents, I just pulled the trigger on a Japan spec 911TTS (yeah, it is different, more like a turbo with X50 and other bits), from the dealer classics line.

Not sure what is going on here in terms of global 993 prices. Locally, there were three 993TTs exported from Japan in the last two days, and the car dealers were saying that demand is ridiculous (30 calls a day!).

This may be a bubble, but that's what I thought about the Dino three years ago...
Old 05-29-2015, 09:26 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by TTS in Tokyo
This may be a bubble, but that's what I thought about the Dino three years ago...
Has the Dino market gone down? I thought they are consistently a $350-400K cars.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:45 AM
TTS in Tokyo
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Has the Dino market gone down? I thought they are consistently a $350-400K cars.
Definitely not gone down. I was looking a bit over three years ago, and back then, they were maybe $75K-100K cheaper, and probably more importantly, there were some pretty good cars out there. I wanted one for a long time but sort of wimped out... not a great choice.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:46 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridin Dirty
Well two personal experiences for me were:

1. Amelia island auction the arena red 30k reserve for 190 i think was bid up to 180 and didn't sell. So it was indeed bid pretty high and that car was in fair condition. It needed a massive detail....couldn't even tell if paint was good it was so dirty; shocking for a high end auction house.

2. the blue one in my hometown by Mecum auctions. This was very rough....pretty beat/but all there...i took pics of this and posted....had 110k miles on it and who knows what mechanical issues it had...oil dripping under one turbo i noticed......i think it sold for 55.....but in hindsight I should have bought it..... right in my back yard
Mechanical oil drip would scare the living, well you know the Idiom, out of me for that vintage turbo. One could certainly spend a small fortune especially if the turbos have gone south. And its not like one just replaces a single turbo, should always be done in pairs. But we all know that. For $110K it would be PPI time, compression test - everything inspected.

That's funny about Amelia Island usually that is the place for Porsches at Auction. Least Wayne Carini says it is. And the 993 shouldn't be old enough to get it into the "Preservation" class at any Concourse just yet.

Definitely not gone down. I was looking a bit over three years ago, and back then, they were maybe $75K-100K cheaper, and probably more importantly, there were some pretty good cars out there. I wanted one for a long time but sort of wimped out... not a great choice.
Yup, wasn't too long ago one could acquire one for near $100K to $125K for an excellent example. The last 18 months prices have been creeping up and just the past three months Values have been hitting $200K. But this is true for any low number Collector car! Many of us missed the boat on this one. And like I said before. If I'm going to spend $200K on a car it will be a Bespoke Porsche Turbo. Even if it is a depreciating asset.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:48 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

A leaking turbo would scare the **** out of you?

They can be rebuilt for about $1,200 for the pair, you can find good used ones for about $600 for the pair, and a new one is like $1,500.

Of all the scary things on these cars, a bad turbo isn't even close to horrible.

At $110k, however, that should have been taken care of.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:25 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
But this is true for any low number Collector car!
They aren't Toyota Camrys, but production numbers aren't that low on the 993TTs. And judging from most of the ones listed, they aren't often drivers cars getting wrecked off the market. The problem here seems to be more from intense demand materializing out of nowhere. Why didn't wealthy collectors care about the 993TT (and other air-cooled 911 Turbos, for that matter) until just now?

This sort of thing doesn't help either, I guess:

Name:  uqbuPvLl.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  96.5 KB

"The top 30 Porsches to invest in." In other words, "BUY BUY BUY!"
Old 05-29-2015, 12:05 PM
993Godspeed
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
A leaking turbo would scare the **** out of you?

They can be rebuilt for about $1,200 for the pair, you can find good used ones for about $600 for the pair, and a new one is like $1,500.

Of all the scary things on these cars, a bad turbo isn't even close to horrible.

At $110k, however, that should have been taken care of.
Agree on all counts.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:33 PM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TTS in Tokyo
A Japanese spec 993 TTS showed up in Vancouver recently (Canadians can import cars that are 15 years old or older from countries other than US and Mexico). The exotic car market is exploding (along with real estate) in Vancouver BC so I wouldn't be surprised if more show up.

Some may be stored until they reach 25 years old an can be exported to the USA.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:02 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then why does one hear of the 993 with bad turbos which in the end cost a small fortune to fix. Due to by the time the turbos have gone other issue's have arisen. For some reaeon its always more than just the turbos. Wridden hard and put away wet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I know these are just asking prices on e-bay BUT WOW !!