Sponsored by:

Aquamist water/methanol injection

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 04:07 PM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aquamist water/methanol injection

With the extreme ambient temperatures this summer, I decided to buy an Aquamist HFS-6 system for my 993TT, which has UMW "GT1" turbos and tuning (~1.0 bar boost). I use my car for mostly for track days, with occasional street driving. I run 100 octane at the track and 91 on the street, and basically I'm looking for extra insurance and minimizing knock sensor intervention rather than a more aggressive tune.

Searching the forum, I'm surprised at how few have tried water/meth injection. I found a few posts from people who had projects underway, but I didn't find any information about completed installs.

So, anyone running Aquamist or another water/meth injection system? I'm hoping to learn from someone who's already done it before I dive in.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:35 PM
V
Drifting

Ask Spartan, he is your guy...
Old 08-10-2012, 05:41 PM
BIG 928
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive got it on my old gt2 evo racer and now a cayman with the gt2 engine. it works great and my inlet temp went from 45/50 deg c where boost dropped off throughout the race to 30/35 where it holds 1.5 bar for 30 minute races. dont know how my inlet temps compare to others as my sensor is in the carbon plenum where it meets the top of number 6 throttle body as i run 6 throttles with 2 plenums. aquamist works though, i have a master switch then a boost sensitive switch that you can adjust. i preset mine to 1 bar, as the point that it injects. i run 50/50 methanol/water. any more questions, just ask

regards mark
Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by V
Ask Spartan, he is your guy...
Word.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:45 AM
dacbap
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmayzurk
With the extreme ambient temperatures this summer, I decided to buy an Aquamist HFS-6 system for my 993TT, which has UMW "GT1" turbos and tuning (~1.0 bar boost). I use my car for mostly for track days, with occasional street driving. I run 100 octane at the track and 91 on the street, and basically I'm looking for extra insurance and minimizing knock sensor intervention rather than a more aggressive tune.

Searching the forum, I'm surprised at how few have tried water/meth injection. I found a few posts from people who had projects underway, but I didn't find any information about completed installs.

So, anyone running Aquamist or another water/meth injection system? I'm hoping to learn from someone who's already done it before I dive in.
I've been running it for two years now and mainly track my 996TT, same set up HSF-6, very easy to use and keeps everything running cool during the hot hot days of summer. I'm running larger 3071's water cooled turbo's, 72lb inj, EPL tune, depending on the track I run anywhere from 1.1 to 1.3 bar. I run mainly 93 octane.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:12 AM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

careful, it rusts your cylinders
Old 08-14-2012, 11:51 AM
tacker
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been running water meth for the last year. My set up comes on at .6 bar. Data logs prove the system works very well at keeping temps down. I fab up a custom tank in the front bumper with the fill next to the gas cap.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

haha so few here have tried it. It's turbo 101 on most platforms.

I have the HFS 3 with a custom fuel cell tank up front and run 50/50 meth (VP racing methanol not washer fluid) and water. The more meth the greater the cooling as well as the octane but your AF will get lower (richer). My car is not tuned for it and I use it for IAT cooling only. On average it will bring my AF down from the low 11's to the high/mid 10's at WOT.

My car is a built 3.6 with tial A28's and I run two .1 aquamist knozzles and will go through about 2'sih gallons of fluid in a 30 min track session. They are plummed in the center channel of the IC so there is ample time for the fluid to atomize (this is how it cools the IAT). It runs on injector duty cylce so you just have to tap into an injector line and your're done. You can change the parameters on the control board and watch with the flow gauge to fine tune it to your flow needs. Its very easy. With the HFS 6 you can get really fancy but unless you tune the car for it (our ECU's aren't smart enough to really take full advantage imo) then you can save yourself time and money and get a simple system.

Only get aquamist and I only recommend Jeff Howerton at Howerton enginnering. He built my tank setup and here is a pic off his site. No affiliation just a happy customer

http://ec.cdn.cincopa.com/Porsche+Is...AQ6X-qJ&as=mp3

When you open the trunk all you see is the CF top so it looks nice, the fuel cell for piece of mind if in a bad crash and I can still fit a couple cases of beer in there. Honestly a plastic tank is fine but I tend to go overboard sometimes.

Let me know if you have any questions
Old 08-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=wagongotya;9764198]careful, it rusts your cylinders [/QUO

lol
Old 08-14-2012, 03:00 PM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spartan
haha so few here have tried it. It's turbo 101 on most platforms.

I have the HFS 3 with a custom fuel cell tank up front and run 50/50 meth (VP racing methanol not washer fluid) and water. The more meth the greater the cooling as well as the octane but your AF will get lower (richer). My car is not tuned for it and I use it for IAT cooling only. On average it will bring my AF down from the low 11's to the high/mid 10's at WOT.

My car is a built 3.6 with tial A28's and I run two .1 aquamist knozzles and will go through about 2'sih gallons of fluid in a 30 min track session. They are plummed in the center channel of the IC so there is ample time for the fluid to atomize (this is how it cools the IAT). It runs on injector duty cylce so you just have to tap into an injector line and your're done. You can change the parameters on the control board and watch with the flow gauge to fine tune it to your flow needs. Its very easy. With the HFS 6 you can get really fancy but unless you tune the car for it (our ECU's aren't smart enough to really take full advantage imo) then you can save yourself time and money and get a simple system.

Only get aquamist and I only recommend Jeff Howerton at Howerton enginnering. He built my tank setup and here is a pic off his site. No affiliation just a happy customer
Spartan, thanks for the info, especially the Howerton tip. His custom work (tanks, etc.) is really nice, and there's lots of good tech info on his site:

http://howertonengineering.com/

I think I'll go with one of his twin tanks if I can make it fit alongside my cool suit cooler in the trunk.

Doing some quick jetting math on my setup (44 lb/hr injectors @ 3.8 bar, 1.25 bar max boost), it looks like I need a couple of 0.8mm nozzles. My initial assumption on nozzle placement was near the intercooler inlets. Any particular reason you chose the center channel of the intercooler?
Old 08-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Spartan, thanks for the info, especially the Howerton tip. His custom work (tanks, etc.) is really nice, and there's lots of good tech info on his site:

http://howertonengineering.com/

I think I'll go with one of his twin tanks if I can make it fit alongside my cool suit cooler in the trunk.

Doing some quick jetting math on my setup (44 lb/hr injectors @ 3.8 bar, 1.25 bar max boost), it looks like I need a couple of 0.8mm nozzles. My initial assumption on nozzle placement was near the intercooler inlets. Any particular reason you chose the center channel of the intercooler?
You don't want them by the intercooler inlets. Remember the WI's job is to cool the charge air and it has only so much energy to do that. The cooling effect of meth is the changing of liquid to gas. If you spray it before the air goes through the core then all that enery is wasted in the IC if that makes sense. Very inefficient. Its like blowing on your coffee to cool it then putting it in the microwave before taking a sip. By having it post IC core you let the cores do their job then the WI uses all of its energy in the most efficient way possible to lower IAT's before the throttle body. We are lucky to have that center channel in the IC as it gives the meth time to atomize before going getting distributed in the manifold. Trust me on this one only install them post IC cores

I used .8's and was not going through enough fluid. Worked with Jeff and the 1's were the ticket and I'm happier with that setup. Discuss your setup with him and start out small and see how much fluid you use. Maybe 1's are better but you only have enough fluid for a 30 min session using .7's or 8's. All depends on your tank size and tracking habits.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:19 PM
tacker
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm using a 1.0 and .9 and burn thru a 1/2 gallon in 20 mins. Tanks size is 1.8gal. The track is Texas world speedway and I'm a novice driver. For reference
Old 08-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tacker
I'm using a 1.0 and .9 and burn thru a 1/2 gallon in 20 mins. Tanks size is 1.8gal. The track is Texas world speedway and I'm a novice driver. For reference
Aquamist? If so you should be going through a lot more than that
Old 08-15-2012, 10:57 AM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan
Aquamist? If so you should be going through a lot more than that
Doesn't that depend on how he's plumbed the sensors, set the triggers, and mapped the duty cycle for the pump?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wagongotya
Doesn't that depend on how he's plumbed the sensors, set the triggers, and mapped the duty cycle for the pump?
Assuming its an aquamist then there is not enough flow from one of many reasons. Guage should show full flow the second under WOT (actually it should be setup to flow almost equal between throttle position and flow rate but lets not get picky) since its based off injector duty cycle not boost. If you don't flow enough fluid you don't make a significant difference in IAT's

Quick Reply: Aquamist water/methanol injection