Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumperette delete hurt value of original 993TT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 01:09 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bumperette delete hurt value of original 993TT?

First post, thanks for having me. Just purchased an all original arena red 993TT. 51k miles and pretty perfect except the front fenders and bumper have been sprayed not sure why; all original body panels with no body work.

Anyway, I've got that customization itch. Simply want to make the front exactly like the 993 turbo S with a bumperette delete. Does anyone think that will hurt the value since the rest is original?

Further, not to get wordy but why do others buy a new bumper when my body man says filling in that lil bit where the bumperette was is easy.

Thanks in advance to all. Alright I'll be wordy. My rationalization is that as long as the customization is subtle and tasteful it may be acceptable?
Old 05-19-2012, 01:26 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on your new car... Arena Red rocks.

If your car were of "collector" grade with <10,000 miles or so, I'd say leave it stock. Otherwise, feel free to make it as you wish. Filling the bumper to cover the bumperette holes seems to work just fine... its not necessary to buy a Euro bumper.

Pictures?
Old 05-19-2012, 07:28 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Bumperette delete in the front and painted rear bumperettes is da bomb.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:11 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 177 Posts

I echo what Steve says. Won't affect the value of a higher mileage car.

More importantly, THIS
Old 05-19-2012, 12:43 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

THREAD

sounds like a nice car
Old 05-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No Need to buy Euro bumper. And the painted bumperettes from BumperPlugs are sweet!
Attached Images   
Old 05-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha! Just as I thought you guys are amazing!! Can't talk to just anyone about this stuff. No one has your perspectives. Example: love the wife, but I can do exactly what I'm proposing here that is turn the front into as tasteful example of a 993TT "S" euro style and honestly I don't think she would even notice.

And lil more clarity here: I think we drive our cars so most can't be a garage queen 10k mile car. But I plan on doing exactly what I did today with it. Things like taking it to the kids little league game 3 miles down the road. I might put a thousand on it a year this way. But I did buy the car in hopes that it would at least hold its value. I suppose the 50k mile mark is perceived a a bit long in the tooth? I jumped on this b/c of the miles-there are quite a few out there approaching 80k miles. (speaking purely from a value perspective)-we all know these things can run a half a million miles.

But lastly, again from the value point I almost purchased a 2005 911 Turbo S cab (same miles). And that 996TTS cab was $10k less than my 993!! Still think I made the right choice. May lose some respect for me but I really don't mind the runny eggs; don't like em but don't despise them either- guess it was a lil faux pas slip in Porsche history.

And Steve pics soon I promise beautiful day here in PA, I'll take some today. But hope I don't disappoint b/c this car is a literal time warp, it is just right out of the brochure with absolutely nothing changed on it ever (just a Porsche club sticker-ha!). And the rear bumperettes painted with fronts deleted-could not have taken the words out of my mouth better.

So I'll likely proceed with your continued blessing and do the body work option instead of a whole new euro bumper. Although the whole new euro bumper sounds like the right thing to do at the same time it seems a lil wasteful especially of you have an overpriced omnipotent body man-ha!

-Joe
Old 05-19-2012, 04:40 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Joe,

At 50,000 miles, your car is still a really low mileage example. Its barely broken in. And you'll probably never lose a nickel in depreciation. Rufus has 132,000 miles... just a boy, really. Drive and enjoy.

Quick Reply: Bumperette delete hurt value of original 993TT?