Sponsored by:

Sold my Turbo through consignment today

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 01:41 PM
lumpy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold my Turbo through consignment today

Sales data point for the market watchers...offered at $76k and change and went for $74k. Black on black with 30k miles, 2 owner, pss9, trg sways, hardwired v-1,check valves on turbos and all service records from 9k miles to present.

http://www.globalmotorsportsinc.com/...s-Very%20clean!
Old 05-02-2012, 03:14 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

They do seem to be going up in price!....still
Old 05-02-2012, 03:35 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice. How much does the seller (Global) get in fees? Why couldn't you sell in on your own? Exposure, hassles, tire kickers, logistics??? Thanks.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:21 PM
lumpy
Racer

I did try and sell it on my own and the prospect even paid for a ppi (included leak down and compression at a locally trusted mechanic at Rentag motorwerks) and the only thing wrong was the accumulator which I had replaced...he wanted to see the car in person before making an offer and he started at $30k and went to to $50k....my jaw dropped and I felt insulted...so I consigned it with no hassles really. It sold in 2-3 days after being listed so maybe not priced right but i'm happy. Global sold it for $74 and I took home $70.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:03 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

****, I would have given you 70 for it!
I'm looking at one now w 33k for 70k, so that's about right.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:13 PM
993TurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by lumpy
I did try and sell it on my own and the prospect even paid for a ppi (included leak down and compression at a locally trusted mechanic at Rentag motorwerks) and the only thing wrong was the accumulator which I had replaced...he wanted to see the car in person before making an offer and he started at $30k and went to to $50k....my jaw dropped and I felt insulted...so I consigned it with no hassles really. It sold in 2-3 days after being listed so maybe not priced right but i'm happy. Global sold it for $74 and I took home $70.
I had a similar experience with my 964 that was recently sold through consignment. After it was sold, I had people tell me that they would have paid more than I got, but before it was sold other people who were interested wanted to put me and the car through a lot to sell them the car. The value of not having to answer unending questions and deal with tire kickers is pretty high. For me, I paid $2k and feel like I saved $4k in hassles (on a $20k car).
Old 05-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just goes to show the strong demand for nice examples of these cars.... glad you're pleased with the sale.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice! Same color combo as my '97 TT. Mine has 55K miles, though. I have added red seat belts and Fister muffler to it. Also has HB sport seats.

Good to see firm pricing on these cars. Given how few miles I drive it (just less than 1,000 last year) sometimes I just think I ought to let another Porsche fan own/enjoy it.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:59 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

unfortunately lots of tirekicker in the private resale mkt.
part of the reason i always dump my car at dealers.
but there are some RL'ster who put money where their mouth is.
my last 2 RS sold on RL, buyer paid sight unseen.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:46 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by lumpy
Great job! Thanks for the feedback and true market reflection. I'd say you did very well on the sale. On a like-like Turbo, based on your sale, the market is up at least $10,000 since I purchased back in late 2009.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:58 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
my last 2 RS sold on RL, buyer paid sight unseen.
that frame straightened right out, huh?
Old 05-05-2012, 04:13 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

This just proves that yet again the TT's are a good buy right now. Rock solid.
I reckon the 997TT will be the same price soon. The 996TT has come down here so far recently that they are almost a bargain.
Unbelievable whats happened.
993TT's rock
Old 05-05-2012, 08:50 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Lumpy, you have been very forthright and informative. Thanks. This gives great data to the Forum. Are you willing to tell us your purchase price when you got it? And how many miles you drove her (rough cost/mile) during your years of ownership?

I am going to guess your purchase price was about $10,000 more ($85,000ish) than your current sale price. Not bad after 20,000 miles (another WAG) of enjoyment. Am I close??

Thanks again.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:51 PM
lumpy
Racer

Sure No HTwo O. I bought the car from RPM around Jan 2006 with 9,xxx miles for $93k. I didn't negotiate much because I promised myself to get one after reading an Automobile article (I think by David E. Davis) around 1996/97 about how great these last of the air cooled cars are. At the time (1996), I had my first real job and the turbo was my motivation! It was a smooth transaction with Ray at RPM and I really considered a new 996 turbo at the time. Most thought I was crazy for paying so much for an old car but I wanted to experience one as close to new. I still love this series and will get another hopefully from a rennlister when the time is right.

I drove the car about 21k miles but I spent approximately $22k in service expense and $8k in upgrades. I'm excluding monthly parking in manhattan and the increased insurance and gas expense. The biggest one timer maintenance expense was around $6k (mostly labor at an independent in NYC) bucks to add check valves, replace inner cooler hoses and rebuild the turbos around 18k miles. I'm not sure what happened but I went through the smoking problem after an oil change and the normal corrective actions (ie new porsche filters and drained some oil) but there was oil everywhere. After rebuilding the turbos, the check valves and insisting on Porsche filters I never had any problems and I have to thank all the guys on rennlist for that!

The Pss9, trg sway bars and corner balance/alignment transformed the handling and was a large chunk of the upgrade expense. The other part was the hardwired v-1 with the indicators etched in the original rear view mirror.

I won't get another one with super low miles because I experienced it but more importantly they seem really well built and hold up if someone maintains the car as it should. My driving experience only got better with miles and when I had not so good days, it made me feel better to go for long drives to Bear mtn and back. Leaving the car in nashville when I moved back to NYC full time was difficult but I couldn't deal the guys in the parking garages and always worrying about every door ding. I driveled too much. Sorry. Hope that helps.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
that frame straightened right out, huh?
no, sold cheap as scrap metal

Quick Reply: Sold my Turbo through consignment today