Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kafkaesque Turbo Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 04:48 AM
WingChun
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just use those synthetic gloves to grip the filter and tighten with both hands. Using a wrench will only lead to issues!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:50 AM
utahrock
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My Oil Leak Got Better

After replacing the engine oil filter and draining the turbo sumps a couple of times I was about a quart low (which doesn't hurt anything). The old oil filter and its internal valve looked perfect so it didn't seem that was the likely problem. I drove a few miles, parked and it was still leaking. So I expected it might be time to rebuild the turbos.

I had the first track day of the year on Saturday and I didn't want to miss it. I talked it over with my mechanic and decided to attend. I added a quart of oil before going and that brought it up to 1/4 on the stick which is where I always have it. I went to the track, had a great time, wore the tires out faster than I have before and the car ran great. Well, guess what? It didn't leak a drop of oil the whole day and once back in my garage it is still leak free.

Now someone may ask if it was overfilled before and the answer is absolutely not, I had not added any oil since the last oil change and I check it all the time and it was never above 1/4 on the stick. So what cured the leak? Maybe the old filter (Porsche OEM) did start leaking and the new one fixed the problem but perhaps it had some residual oil somewhere that needed to work its way out. But I'm not sure how likely that is since I drained the sumps and took off the plastic turbo intakes and cleaned them out and wiped off all the oil I could find.

Anyway, I'm happy. I'll probably install the check valves and just monitor the situation. Maybe the car just wanted to be driven at high RPM for 80 minutes or so...

Quick Reply: Kafkaesque Turbo Oil Leak