Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any info on the dealership Top Gear Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:59 AM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Slantnose!
Wasn't my experience... ...has the website been finished?
Still no web site.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:46 AM
rlsammax
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the market for a 98 Carrera S or 4S………..Have the cash. Any leads would be appreciated.

Rlsammax@verizon.net
Old 03-30-2015, 11:02 AM
Boxzilla
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not looking so good lately....

Was looking at cars they had posted locally, then did a quick internet search....per www.ripoffreport.com this group is not looking so good lately. Appears they may has some friends on the list posting positive results. Go outside the group for impartial opinions.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:20 PM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxzilla
Was looking at cars they had posted locally, then did a quick internet search....per www.ripoffreport.com this group is not looking so good lately. Appears they may has some friends on the list posting positive results. Go outside the group for impartial opinions.
Very skeptical about these people.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:50 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I was recently there, as I almost bought a 997tt they have, very nice guys, I'm glad I went, they gave me a hour long tour of their shop. They have some unbelievable cars, like a collection of 964 3.6t in every color! It's mostly a wholesale deal, not really public retail showroom so to speak. It's a huge warehouse in the middle of an industrial park. You'd never know it was there, good for security I guess. Aret and Sean are very cool guys and will take care of rennlisters. I think they're planning some interactive events for Rennlist folks in the near future. Hope that helps C
Old 03-31-2015, 09:47 AM
DarrellT
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know about responsiveness for others - but I sent Sean several messages about cars and location to visit to look at one in particular and nothing. Silence was all I got back.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:37 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting, I was hooked up with Sean via my engine builder, I only had a cell number. I never tried their general number.
Again, I too was very skeptical, but ended up pleasantly surprised.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:19 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Do your due diligence

I'll add my $0.02 here after inquiring about one of their cars. The car was a white RSA advertised at $149K, the same price as a 15K mile example that was barely driven and truly stock (never modded) that was for sale just up the road from me (it was sold before I could get it).

The white one at Top Gear was advertised as follows:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111688876743

1993 PORSCHE RS AMERICA
RARE ALL OPTION DELETE VEHICLE (LIGHTWEIGHT)
ONLY OPTION THIS VEHICLE HAS IS LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL
SUNROOF DELETE
AIR CONDITIONING DELETE
RADIO DELETE
REAR SEAT DELETE
RARE WHITE WITH BLACK SPORTS SEATS
ONLY 29,373 ORIGINAL MILES
RARE SUNROOF DELETE
PAINT APPEARS TO BE ALL ORIGINAL
ACCIDENT FREE
RED SEAT BELTS
ALL BOOKS AND KEYS
CLEAN AUTO CHECK
AFTERMARKET EXHAUST

That was the full extent of the description. The photos made the car look like an immaculate trailer queen. However, upon further inquiry it was discovered that:

The had a roll bar, seats and race belts which were removed at some point. The holes are there and the carpeting shows where they were. (That's why the stock seats looked so nice.)

It had Turbo Red calipers on the front and the heater boxes have been removed and headers installed.

It had aftermarket shocks and springs.

It had a rear engine tow hook.

There was a hole in the roof where, most likely, there was a car/pit radio installed.

The lower rocker panels were riveted on.

Red seat belts were added at some point as they are not on the original window sticker.

IMO, the eBay add was very misleading. It made it sound as though the car had only one mod. There was no mention of extensive track use and no evidence of it in the photos.

If you wanted a track car, this one might have been a good one, but not at that price. It was priced and marketed more like a car that one would by as a collector item.

I like and own both kinds of cars. But I won't buy a car from someone who conceals this kind of information in an online ad.

P.S. I will concede that this type of advertising is fairly common. So, if it doesn't bother you, then I would suggest having someone do a PPI before committing to buy. It's a little more work and takes a bit more time, but it's worth it.

P.S.S. I know of several places that deliver exactly what they say, often more, and you don't need to do a PPI. Just don't assume all dealers are like that. In my experience, only about 10% are that up front about their cars.

Quick Reply: Any info on the dealership Top Gear Porsche?