Sponsored by:

Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:24 PM
apo128
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Coating

Any reccomendations for shops that do ceramic coating of exhaust tips?

Also, does the coating add any type of thickness that will impact the tips reattaching properly?

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:28 AM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.fdmotorsports.net/index_files/Page951.htm

They outsource ceramic coating, but everyone I have seen post about their work seems to have been happy.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:42 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny. I just sent Darin my Turbo's bypass pipes on Monday afternoon. I am going to have them ceramic powder coated in Black Velvet. No more polishing the chrome tips.

I also sent him my metal license plate frame to have either powder (not ceramic) coated in the same/similiar black velvet color, or Arena Red to match the car. I thought this was a nice little "attention to detail" to make sure the back end looked its best.

I wonder if the tips will run any "cooler" to the touch?

Here are his color choices for the ceramic coating:
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2011, 11:27 AM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting subject indeed. I don't know about performance gains but the exhaust fumes will flow faster if kept cool. Lot's of people ceramic coat the entire exhaust systems inside out. The tips are often neglected and they do get very hot.

How scratch resistant is the ceramic coating? I've heard that you prolong the life of the exhaust system by doing the ceramic coating so I guess it preserves the metal against rust?

I think the black TT mufflers on FDs homepage are mine as I did mine like two years ago. I'm super happy with the product, just wondering about the coating.

Also, I'm doing a fair bit of polishing on my SS big ovals. I've been thinking about doing them in the "cermakrome" ceramic finish. Will they then be easier to keep clean? Just rinse with soap and water? Scratch resistant? How would you compare the visual appearance of the cermakrome vs. the OEM polished tips? Will the "crome" finish last? I think the shine of polished steel will be tough to beat. I understand if you coat the tips in black, then you won't have to worry about polishing but I like the stainless look .
Old 12-11-2011, 03:27 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Viggo, for tips if you like the polished look I would not ceramic coat them. The Cermachrome finish does not look as shiny as polished tips. It looks more like polished aluminum. If that is the look you are going for, then that would be ok, but if you like the "chrome" polished look, keep them polished. Ceramic coating is paint, so it will scratch if you put a lot of pressure to it. Once it is heat cured, it is pretty tough though.
Attached Images   
Old 12-11-2011, 03:47 PM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 993TT

Fister, what finish is behind the black mufflers? I've always wanted tips to look more like factory wheels & rear emblem.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:24 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rare911s
Fister, what finish is behind the black mufflers? I've always wanted tips to look more like factory wheels & rear emblem.
It's Mag Silver. It's very cool!
Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2011, 03:24 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look up Swain Tech in New York. Had my whole exhaust treated. Exellent durability and meticulous work.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:53 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

What are people's thoughts on ceramic coating the cats? - They are the most visible when you are under the car and are there any benefits? They can really start to look bad after awhile on their exterior.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:52 AM
WhiteCab
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Cats

From FDM:

Name:  993-ENGINE.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  65.7 KB
Old 11-11-2016, 12:22 AM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 93 Posts

FD coated my existing cat. Very pleased with result.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:17 AM
carguy19
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by V
Interesting subject indeed. I don't know about performance gains but the exhaust fumes will flow faster if kept cool. Lot's of people ceramic coat the entire exhaust systems inside out. The tips are often neglected and they do get very hot.
It's actually just the opposite. The ceramic coating keeps the heat inside the exhaust better, compressed turbocharged air (Exhaust) travels with much more velocity then cooler air, so you want to keep all the heat in the turbo and exhaust that you can on the hot side. This is why you see all the turbo blankets, header wrap, and coatings for turbo cars on the hot side of the turbo and associated parts.

The ceramic coatings keep the heat in and are much cooler outside the pipes because of this. (When i say cooler, definitely dont touch them when the car is running, they are still hundreds of degrees, but just less hot on the outside because of the coating then regular piping).
Old 11-13-2016, 12:37 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

I am just wondering how a ceramic coat and noise related modification might effect the value of the car. (I know everybody hates that question) Also the Bischoff mufflers are virtually impossible to find. I guess if my time horizon is quite long it shouldn't or should it matter? I would be inclined to ceramicoat everything except the turbo.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:42 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Look up Swain Tech in New York. Had my whole exhaust treated. Exellent durability and meticulous work.
+1

IMO this is the best ceramic coating out there.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating