Sponsored by:

Wheel Balancing with Spacers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 10:18 AM
sblaylock
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Balancing with Spacers.

Switched out my stock rims for a set of RUF 18s yesterday.

Stock

RUFs

It definitely changes the way the car looks and I'm very happy with them.

The new tires are Michelin Pilot Sports in stock sizes with maybe 1000 miles on them. On the drive home I noticed a vibration ~75 mph. I called the PO and asked if he had noticed a vibration when he had them on his C2. He said they were totally smooth.

The only difference between the installs is the 35mm (RUF) spacers. I can't see that being the issue, but could the spacers be putting the wheels out of balance? I'm going to get the wheels balanced tomorrow.

Does anyone have any ideas what the vibration could be, and when the wheels are balanced do they do them with the spacers?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 09-18-2011, 10:44 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wheels look great! I still go to the dealership (the only times), and pay the crazy money, to have my tires properly road forced balanced, and knowing they have the deep-pockets incase they ever marked up my wheels.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 451 Posts

Glad you made it home safe and sound Scott! As I said on the phone, my car was a smooth as silk with those wheels on it...so much so that even my wife commented on it a few weeks ago on a drive home from picking up a pizza. If you aren't happy with them, we will be in Ottawa in November, so we can pick up the wheels and I will refund your money. To be honest, I am having severe seller's remorse
Old 09-18-2011, 02:43 PM
sblaylock
Advanced

Originally Posted by Onami
Glad you made it home safe and sound Scott! As I said on the phone, my car was a smooth as silk with those wheels on it...so much so that even my wife commented on it a few weeks ago on a drive home from picking up a pizza. If you aren't happy with them, we will be in Ottawa in November, so we can pick up the wheels and I will refund your money. To be honest, I am having severe seller's remorse
Thanks Mark. The only thing I can think of is we mixed the wheels up left/right when we mounted them on my car. I'm going to swap them and see if it solves the vibration. If not, I'll get them re-balanced using the road forced method to see if the shop can figure it out.

Keep me posted on your November trip. I don't think you will be taking the wheels with you, but it would be nice to get together again.

Thanks again for all your help yesterday,
Scott.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:01 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sblaylock
Thanks Mark. The only thing I can think of is we mixed the wheels up left/right when we mounted them on my car. I'm going to swap them and see if it solves the vibration. If not, I'll get them re-balanced using the road forced method to see if the shop can figure it out.
I don't think you can do that, aren't the Super Sports a directional tire? You need to have the tires & wheels properly road forced balanced. It is possible, but very unlikely, you may have a new tire that is out-of-round. They will be able to find this with the proper balancing equipment. No sense in paying over $4K for great tires and awesome wheels, to cheap-out at a discount tire shop for installation.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Have you changed out your front control arm bushings yet?
Old 09-18-2011, 07:13 PM
sblaylock
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bradford
Have you changed out your front control arm bushings yet?
Not yet, but the wheels that came off the car were smooth.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:16 PM
sblaylock
Advanced

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I don't think you can do that, aren't the Super Sports a directional tire? ...
There is no directional arrow on the tire, just "Outside" stamped on them.

I will look to get them road force balanced.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sblaylock
Not yet, but the wheels that came off the car were smooth.
I would first rebalance the front Ruf wheels. If there is still a vibration, replace your front control arm bushings. I used to have the same problem and it was fixed by changing the bushings. Much written about this on the 993 forum. Good luck
Old 09-18-2011, 08:49 PM
sblaylock
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bradford
I would first rebalance the front Ruf wheels. If there is still a vibration, replace your front control arm bushings. I used to have the same problem and it was fixed by changing the bushings. Much written about this on the 993 forum. Good luck
That sounds like a good plan. I'll do some research on the 993 forum as well.

Thanks the advice,
Scott.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Scott passed by my area before proceeding to meet Onami in Oakville for the RUFs and I checked his stock wheels (which I purchased and picked up from Onami in Oakville yesterday). So I took some iphone pictures and my car was dirty after being rained on the other day:
Attached Images    
Old 09-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Ooo, I like that last pic Danny.

To answer the original question, the spacers don't cause any vibration issues on my car. I purchased my wheels/spacers new when I installed on my car.

Back to the fron CA bushings, these wheels are heavy and the additional weight could be a factor on the old bushings in your car. Just a thought.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:20 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

35mm is an awfully big spacer. It's probably an adapter. Check to see if they have a pilot on them for the wheels to sit on while being tightened. That should help center them while being tightened.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:50 PM
sblaylock
Advanced

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
35mm is an awfully big spacer. It's probably an adapter. Check to see if they have a pilot on them for the wheels to sit on while being tightened. That should help center them while being tightened.
They do have a pilot on them and did an R&R on them yesterday to be sure they were centered correctly. Everything looked good.

I'm scheduled for a road forced balance on Wednesday as Bradford suggested. If that doesn't fix the issue, I'll look at getting a set of Walrod bushings as replacements.

Originally Posted by Texas993
Back to the front CA bushings, these wheels are heavy and the additional weight could be a factor on the old bushings in your car. Just a thought.
I didn't think of the additional weight potentially causing the problem, but that does make sense as to why I didn't feel it with the hollow spokes.

Scott.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:20 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Please lower your car!!

Quick Reply: Wheel Balancing with Spacers.