Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I think my battery is dead!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help! I think my battery is dead!

Guys, last night my wife came home late from a charity event. She heard my '97 Turbo "ticking". Thinking it may be a battery issue she plugged in the trickle charger. When I awoke this morning she told me about it. I checked it out and noticed that I had left the front hood open
Now the car won't start. The only light that comes on is a small one under the dashboard beneath the gas guage and oil guage. I believe this is the light by the ignition switch.
My question is, doI have AAA "jump" the car battery? Will this hurt anything? My biggest concern is that I have heard that is a pain in the a_s on these cars if the battery goes dead due to codes being "erased" or disappearing. Is that accurate? What would I do to fix that issue? I can't believe that these car batteries don't tend to die from time to time making this a regular issue.

Please advise!
Old 06-11-2011, 01:52 PM
rinlv1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get a new battery if it's more than 2 years old. I would recommend Optima battery. Nothing wrong with jump charge. If readiness code resets, u just need to drive it and if it doesn't reset there's remedy for that too. GL
Old 06-11-2011, 02:14 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

If you disconnect your battery, you will also lose your radio code (assuming stock radio). If you can keep 12V running to the system while the battery is changed, you will be better off.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rinlv1
I would get a new battery if it's more than 2 years old. I would recommend Optima battery. Nothing wrong with jump charge. If readiness code resets, u just need to drive it and if it doesn't reset there's remedy for that too. GL
My battery is definitely more than 2 years old. If I call my Porsche dealer (who would install it) would they have an Optima battery? What should I expect to pay for battery and install.....knowing the dealer will not be cheap.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:30 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Do it yourself. Buy an Interstate MTP-91. Direct fit and has the proper venting. Costs about $120.

Never use a trickle charger. Only use a battery maintainer. Mine are plugged in whenever not being driven.

If you leave the hood open in the future, just manually close the locking latch, and the light will go off in about 1 minute. Then to lock and re-latch the hood, you MUST unlock the latch by pulling the front trunk release in the cabin.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:35 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Very recent:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...b-battery.html
Old 06-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

replace this yourself man...it can be done with the tools in the frunk.

If you take it to the dealer, $125 of your dollars will disappear for no reason.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

"nver use a trickle charger. Only use a battery maintainer. Mine are plugged in whenever not being driven."

I may have misspoke. I use a Porsche charge-o-mat. Is that a maintainer or a trickle charger? I thought they were the same thing?

And, guys, u are giving me WAY to much mechanical credit. I can barely put gas in these things let alone change batteries. It sounds like I should get an Interestate put in it. I believe that's what the dealer put in my last 911 (a 996...ugh)
Old 06-11-2011, 08:36 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by Parnelli
I may have misspoke. I use a Porsche charge-o-mat. Is that a maintainer or a trickle charger? I thought they were the same thing?
You are good-to-go. That's a maintainer. A "trickle" charger never really shuts off, when fully charged and can cook a battery. A maintainer shuts off.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:23 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 241 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
You are good-to-go. That's a maintainer. A "trickle" charger never really shuts off, when fully charged and can cook a battery. A maintainer shuts off.
I think they're the same thing now. I have been using Canadian Tire trickle chargers on both cars for years. They have automatic shut off and are solid state. Lots of us use 'em up here with no difficulties. I used to have a Porsche charger but the auto shut-off failed.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:38 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

I think trickle charger and maintainer are synonymous.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try to recharge the battery with a CTEK XS3600 (same as the Porsche dealer sells but without the Porsche brand).The battery on my Ducati is from when the motorbike was new (2002) and still works perfect. If the battery has been maintained correctly during the years I think there might be some life in it yet. The charger might save your battery. Try it before buying a new battery.

The battery on my 993tt is more than three years old now and had a hard life. Not by me but some workshops have mishandled it by not disconnecting it when they have been working on the car or stored it for me. My CTEK has saved it many times since 2007 when I bought the car.

The only thing that will be erased when disconnecting the battery is the radio code. I think some fault codes will be erased as well.

Good luck!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

"I think some fault codes will be erased as well."

so I will not have a problem at emmisions time due to this? (the car has always passed the smog/emmissions test in the past, of course)
Old 06-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

GOOD NEWS!! just went out to garage and the car started! The battery must not have totally died because the radio came on without having to set a code number in. Plugging that battery maintainer in must've helped. Drove it for about 20 minutes and plugged it back in (would' ve driven longer but have a family commitment I have to go to)

I freakn LOVE that car!

thanks for all your help guys! at least now i have an idea of what to do if battery does actually die
Old 09-05-2012, 01:15 AM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts
Red face Remotes Okay - Car Battery Dead Procedures

I knew it would happen because I can't connect a trickle charger to my car and I rarely drive it BUUUUUUUT my car battery seems to be totally dead. The doors don't even unlock with the remote and the little lights in the side door windows aren't blinking.

My first question is (most likely stupid), if I unlock the car with the key the alarm doesn't typically go off it did have a charged battery? Some cars (Subaru's) are like that - very annoying. I presume if the battery is dead I shouldn't have a problem I just don't want to run the chance of up setting my neighbors, waking up their kids, in the middle of the night.

I guess I'll need my radio code? Frustrating because I don't recall seeing it in all the handbooks and documents I received when I bought the car.

Naturally I'm checking into batteries now. This thread is good but maybe a bit dated. It might be a bit dated. What's this business about a "mat". Certainly don't want a vented wet cell but not prepared to spring for GTR RS lithium kind of stuff

What other trouble am I in for (alarm codes?), advice, criticisms, questions?

Thanks Alot!

Quick Reply: Help! I think my battery is dead!