current 993 turbo s values

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:36 AM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gbm
+1

There is a black/black TTS that Sloan has had listed for over a year with 9,710 miles. When I was speaking to him a year ago regarding one of the '97TT's he had listed he mentioned that his bottom line on the TTS was 160k. Single digit mileage price indeed. I have no idea as to the condition of this car.

There's no such thing as a '96 TTS to my knowledge.

Geoff
That is correct. 993TTS production 97 (US & ROW), 98 (ROW only).
Old 04-04-2011, 03:39 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a SY w/ 5k miles that sold for $190k.

http://www.experiencemu.com/#/inventorydetail/1

(I know nothing of the deal other than what the website says, no affiliation.)
Old 04-04-2011, 08:43 AM
TTKan
Pro

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Here's a SY w/ 5k miles that sold for $190k.

http://www.experiencemu.com/#/inventorydetail/1

(I know nothing of the deal other than what the website says, no affiliation.)
Well, it is Speed Yellow; that explains the high price.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:09 PM
SSTAR
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I spent quite some time looking at these cars last spring and determined (at that time) that good single digit mileage cars can be bought in the $160s.

Sloan asks quite a bit for his cars (seems like the 9700 mile black car hasn't moved while the silver car w/ sub 10k miles he had moved) but will come down when pressed. I think another poster alluded to that.

I know that the more special cars (like the yellow car with yellow wheels from RPM) may have sold for more (just a speculation) as they have unique configurations from the factory that warrant the extra value.

Remember the white TTS on ebay in the fall (was located in the bay area)? I think the asking was $120k-130k and it had mid 20k miles on it.

Just my $0.02. Cheers
Old 04-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Marshy
Racer

Originally Posted by SSTAR
Remember the white TTS on ebay in the fall (was located in the bay area)? I think the asking was $120k-130k and it had mid 20k miles on it.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Similar looking vehicle (but perhaps different) than the one described above. No affiliation,etc.

Geoff
Old 04-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Marshy
Racer

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...-s-photos.html

This silver TTS was just being advertised on ebay last week but has disappeared now. Vehicle has a documented accident in 2000. Current owner was looking for a high 90's price tag with approx 25k miles. Vehicle is in Florida. No affiliation,etc

Geoff
Old 04-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Spidey 993

That one sold for $90,600. Accident on rear bumper and separate hood replacement incident.

The white one is on Autotrader for $139k, with ~25k miles.

Cheers -
Tony

Originally Posted by gbm
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...-s-photos.html

This silver TTS was just being advertised on ebay last week but has disappeared now. Vehicle has a documented accident in 2000. Current owner was looking for a high 90's price tag with approx 25k miles. Vehicle is in Florida. No affiliation,etc

Geoff
Old 04-04-2011, 08:34 PM
sonny1
Banned

One just got sold at EBay for $90K!
Old 04-05-2011, 05:28 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bb993tt
A TTS was offered in '96?
My bad
Old 04-05-2011, 12:57 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Happens to me all the time.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:04 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

I spent quite some time looking at these cars last spring and determined (at that time) that good single digit mileage cars can be bought in the $160s.
yup.

I know that the more special cars (like the yellow car with yellow wheels from RPM) may have sold for more (just a speculation) as they have unique configurations from the factory that warrant the extra value.
nope.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ELPORSCHA
That is correct. 993TTS production 97 (US & ROW), 98 (ROW only).
Just be very careful about assumptions on the Turbo S market -- there's been years of "hoarding" (nicest word that comes to mind right now) by a few dealers thinking they can stifle supply and then have the only cars on the market on offer at insanely inflated prices (ie. $160K -- $200K.)

Check with credible references on real selling prices, real auction results and real market value. SCM or PMletter.com come to mind. Or sales on ebay. Not the advertised nonsense by a few parasite traders. These sky high prices are out of step with the market and the car has not achieved any kind of investor/collector status beyond a handful of examples with zero miles or unique provenance. At 5K miles and up, it's a driven car, not a collector example. At 18K miles, it's a low mileage Turbo with the appeal of the S body, but the 424hp engine upgrades are nothing to write home about -- and 15 year old K24's are in need of a rebuild anyway.

Just to be clear, I'm not at all arguing against the Turbo S per se -- it's a very low unit volume production run, it's a rare car by averages and it's well worth a 50% premium over a normal Turbo, but there's no way to make an apples to apples comparison. As mentioned, it's hard to find too many of them to start defining rules or generalizations. Equally well, as mentioned, it's damn hard to find a buyer with the folding stuff, so it's still, even for this rare case, a buyer's market.

At $120K, you're paying the premium and you'll get it back on resale. At $160K, the retail buyer is getting gouged and suckered by the dealer and wouldn't get $90K in wholesale to turn the car around to the same dealer the same day.

As ever, the buyer criteria should be around the right options and condition, not around perceived market dynamics or any fanciful notion of a collector value. Unless you're a collector as a buyer and know your oats, then don't seriously expect to see any Porsche turn out to be an investment or a shrewd collectible acquisition. I think you could argue the history is in favor of the 993 Turbo and the 993 Turbo S becoming respected collector and even investment grade Porsche, but it will be some considerable time before that unfolds.

If $120K or $160K is neither here nor there for the buyer, then by all means find the right car -- options and condition, history and documentation -- but otherwise, price has to govern the purchase. A stout 993 Turbo should be $60-80K +/- (market, location, etc. will raise or lower that spread.)

If I had my heart set on a Turbo S as something to keep to the grave, I'd be looking to buy a one-owner original condition car from the owner and pay that person a fair price for both parties -- if that number was too rich for my blood, I'd just have to put the Turbo S on the wall alongside a photo of an F40 and a 962 and 935 and 73 RS and RS60 and ...
Old 04-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Just be very careful about assumptions on the Turbo S market -- there's been years of "hoarding" (nicest word that comes to mind right now) by a few dealers thinking they can stifle supply and then have the only cars on the market on offer at insanely inflated prices (ie. $160K -- $200K.)

Check with credible references on real selling prices, real auction results and real market value. SCM or PMletter.com come to mind. Or sales on ebay. Not the advertised nonsense by a few parasite traders. These sky high prices are out of step with the market and the car has not achieved any kind of investor/collector status beyond a handful of examples with zero miles or unique provenance. At 5K miles and up, it's a driven car, not a collector example. At 18K miles, it's a low mileage Turbo with the appeal of the S body, but the 424hp engine upgrades are nothing to write home about -- and 15 year old K24's are in need of a rebuild anyway.

Just to be clear, I'm not at all arguing against the Turbo S per se -- it's a very low unit volume production run, it's a rare car by averages and it's well worth a 50% premium over a normal Turbo, but there's no way to make an apples to apples comparison. As mentioned, it's hard to find too many of them to start defining rules or generalizations. Equally well, as mentioned, it's damn hard to find a buyer with the folding stuff, so it's still, even for this rare case, a buyer's market.

At $120K, you're paying the premium and you'll get it back on resale. At $160K, the retail buyer is getting gouged and suckered by the dealer and wouldn't get $90K in wholesale to turn the car around to the same dealer the same day.

As ever, the buyer criteria should be around the right options and condition, not around perceived market dynamics or any fanciful notion of a collector value. Unless you're a collector as a buyer and know your oats, then don't seriously expect to see any Porsche turn out to be an investment or a shrewd collectible acquisition. I think you could argue the history is in favor of the 993 Turbo and the 993 Turbo S becoming respected collector and even investment grade Porsche, but it will be some considerable time before that unfolds.

If $120K or $160K is neither here nor there for the buyer, then by all means find the right car -- options and condition, history and documentation -- but otherwise, price has to govern the purchase. A stout 993 Turbo should be $60-80K +/- (market, location, etc. will raise or lower that spread.)

If I had my heart set on a Turbo S as something to keep to the grave, I'd be looking to buy a one-owner original condition car from the owner and pay that person a fair price for both parties -- if that number was too rich for my blood, I'd just have to put the Turbo S on the wall alongside a photo of an F40 and a 962 and 935 and 73 RS and RS60 and ...

he nailed it. Well written!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Marshy
Racer

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
+1. Interesting take.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Motoring Unlimited
AutoX

I just want to chime in as the car we sold was referenced in one of the above posts. The turbo S is a very special car and there are specific buyers out there that are willing to pay a premium for them. While an additional 24hp and a lot of nice cosmetic features are a nice bonus to the already wonderful 993 turbo, I don't believe that the market value on the cars is based on looks or performance but more what it represents from a certain time in Porsche's history.

It has a lot of special attributes: The most powerful air-cooled 911 offered for sale in the US, based on what is considered by many enthusiasts as one of the best 911 designs, and at the sunset of the air-cooled era, not to mention only 182 cars were sold in the US.

I know several owners of these cars and they have no intentions of selling them - for them what it represents means more than whatever they paid for their cars. Isn't that what owning a Porsche is all about?

Quick Reply: current 993 turbo s values