Sponsored by:

Installed the 380mm brakes last night

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installed the 380mm brakes last night

Man these things are big! With the rear RS calipers this is going to be a great combo, goodbye brake fade. I'll update the thread wit pics of the wheels on later, I still have to run the ducting to the scoop I have under the front diff cover.

I purchased these pretty CF brake duct attachments that I REALLY wanted to use and over complicate things with but to be honest the old way the ducts were ran did just fine. With the stock brakes I ran the duct to the small hole between the caliper and the wheel carrier (GT2 in my case don't know how different it is from stock there), it didnt' look like much but it work really really well taking air from a duct I made under the front diff cover with the ducting running where the front drive shafts would usually be (2wd conversion). Being that the 380mm comes with a bracket to move the caliper over an inch outward from the carrier there was even more room for the duct so I just did the same thing. It looks like a restriction but if it worked before with even more restriction it should work even better now.

I trimmed the ducting after the pictures were taken and it shoots air directly into the center of the rotor which is where you want it

Will post up more pictures here later tonight with the wheels on
Old 08-12-2009, 01:52 PM
vincentdds
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look like it's another knuckles buster job.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vincentdds
Look like it's another knuckles buster job.
Ha! Between working on this and the boat my hands look like hamburger. I usually work with nylex gloves but I ran out
Old 08-13-2009, 01:47 PM
johnneurauter
Rennlist Member

Looking good. Will we see you up at Road America? Grapevine says you have a nice new trailer.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:04 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

What wheels will you run over those brakes? I also have the 380mm (15") fronts, and use the Ruf wheels (well... I am FORCED because everything on my car is Ruf). I recently bolted some 18" BBS Motorsport wheels on the front... and they clear by the tiniest fraction of a mm. I think those wheels are still for sale BTW. if you are interested.
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2009, 02:10 PM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Great job josh! I love looking into bbs motorsports and only seeing brake, brake and more brake
Old 08-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ca993twin
What wheels will you run over those brakes? I also have the 380mm (15") fronts, and use the Ruf wheels (well... I am FORCED because everything on my car is Ruf). I recently bolted some 18" BBS Motorsport wheels on the front... and they clear by the tiniest fraction of a mm. I think those wheels are still for sale BTW. if you are interested.
I have BBS motorsports for the track that clear by almost an inch! For the street I run forgelines that were custom cut to fit over the brakes. Those BBS centers look different than mine, what model are they?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by johnneurauter
Looking good. Will we see you up at Road America? Grapevine says you have a nice new trailer.
Sure do John! Going up to Ben's next week to pick it up then taking the car to kelly moss for an alignment prior to RA. I'm going to RA with the audi club the week before the pca labor day event though. Labor day weekend I'll be on my boat enjoying the weather hopefully but you guys have fun out there
Old 08-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You'll like the new brakes. At Road America this week they were 375F while the rear rotors w/ RS calipers were 475F! Too bad my lap times were up 3 seconds... Calling Cervelli to do some coaching at MidOhio this fall.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:54 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ca993twin
What wheels will you run over those brakes? I also have the 380mm (15") fronts, and use the Ruf wheels (well... I am FORCED because everything on my car is Ruf). I recently bolted some 18" BBS Motorsport wheels on the front... and they clear by the tiniest fraction of a mm.
This is very interesting info, that they'll clear 18" BBS MS wheels, since I have these on my car. Any idea what the offsets are on the wheels in the picture?
Old 08-13-2009, 05:01 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The wheels are owned by a local guy, Rod Graff. (831)475-3460. He is a wheel expert and has all the details. Please let him know you heard about them from his Santa Cruz buddy, Steve.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:02 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Danke!
Old 08-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Acropora
You'll like the new brakes. At Road America this week they were 375F while the rear rotors w/ RS calipers were 475F! Too bad my lap times were up 3 seconds... Calling Cervelli to do some coaching at MidOhio this fall.
I turned the lettering on my RS calipers brown at my last event so some sort of ducting will be going on there shortly. No matter what they are going to get alot hotter due to the size but that doesn't mean a little air can't help

What gives with the times going up Brad?! Surely there is a mod that can fix that
Old 08-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

You guys should be aware that none of the Porsche 993 based racecars (Cup, RSR, or GT2) used RS rear calipers. Generally using RS rear calipers results in way too much rear brake when using "normal" 332 mm front discs.

With 380mm discs, I felt the RS rear calipers were still too much on an RSR with 14 inch wide back tires.

Maybe a better solution is to use Turbo rear calipers and remove the pressure limiting valves on the rear brake lines. This is how all the race cars were set up.

They also used the RS booster (which is quite expensive but REALLY helps the brake feel) and a different ABS ECU. The ECU is also very expensive and requires some wiring changes.

Chris Cervelli
Spline Technologies
Old 08-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Premier Motorsp
You guys should be aware that none of the Porsche 993 based racecars (Cup, RSR, or GT2) used RS rear calipers. Generally using RS rear calipers results in way too much rear brake when using "normal" 332 mm front discs.

With 380mm discs, I felt the RS rear calipers were still too much on an RSR with 14 inch wide back tires.

Maybe a better solution is to use Turbo rear calipers and remove the pressure limiting valves on the rear brake lines. This is how all the race cars were set up.

They also used the RS booster (which is quite expensive but REALLY helps the brake feel) and a different ABS ECU. The ECU is also very expensive and requires some wiring changes.

Chris Cervelli
Spline Technologies

I always thought the RS rear calipers were kind of a band-aid for us novice guys running a front 14+ BBK and let you avoid messing with the rest of the braking system. Would be great to drive a car with the setup you mentioned above

Quick Reply: Installed the 380mm brakes last night