Sponsored by:

Peeking over the fence.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 09:25 PM
Yellow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Peeking over the fence.....

Decided to hop over here to the 993TT board. I've got this strange TT craving that's hit me over the last week or so. It's my personal opinion that it happens to all Porsche owners sooner or later, whether or not I've pushed my 993 to the perceived limit and feel I'm ready to move on.

I'm not as well informed on the 993TTs as the 930s, so this post is really a chance for me to get some homework done.

I'm not one to leave the car bone stock for long, but will never sacrifice daily driveability for power and speed. Having said that, I tend to favor "non-destructive" changes to engine: Intercooler, ECU, exhaust, and possibly the turbos.

OK, so here are some questions I have:

What are my options for these modifications? Better to stick to a single vendor like FVD?

Experience on any of these aftermarket products in terms of performance?

What's the consensus on the lifespan of a stock 993TT engine, assuming that it's been cared for properly?

Oh, I'll let you guys on a little secret: I've been taking late night peeks at Nick Amos' Silver Beauty. Yeah, it's the only cure for my insomnia. Sweet dreams.

Yellow

'88 911 -> '78 DP 930 -> '90 964 -> '96 993 -> ???
Old 06-28-2001, 10:38 PM
NickA
Advanced

Smile

Yellow, you dawg! Ogling my baby! Actually, it's fine by me.

A good portion of what I know about 993TT upgrades I've learned from fellow Rennlisters (JimB, Rick, MarkD, VikenB, Steve W., Rob W., Robb M., JohnDII, Roland, Anir [sorry if I left anyone off -- too many others to name]). I haven't been to Rick's webpage in a while, but if it's still there then that's definitely a good resource for you. Also, the Andial webpage has some good info as well.

I'll close with a somewhat bold statement: most enthusiasts will probably agree that, if properly taken care of, the 993TT motor will last for a long, long, LONG time. The cars and their engines are somewhat "overengineered" in my opinion, and can survive even in the hands of a relative moron. (I'll let others who are more knowledgeable chime in on the potentially destructive effects of ill-conceived modification programs).

Happy motoring; here's another pic:

My 993TT for sale webpage
Old 06-28-2001, 10:49 PM
Yellow
Instructor

Yes Nick....deep under the cover of darkness....when the lady is in dreamland. Stop posting those pics, you're killin' me!

I'll check out Rick's page. Can someone point me in the right direction? I can't seem to find it in the member directory. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2001, 11:24 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Stop posting those pics, you're killin' me!
Just thought I'd "flaunt" another enticing view of the 993TT to get you a bit more interested in Nick's beauty (Make sure your wife doesn't catch you looking at another girl's rear end!).

Old 06-29-2001, 02:54 AM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yellow,

Go to http://www.993tt.com and read the Modification section. Before I modified my TT, I did a hell of a lot of research, and found a lot of very expensive snake oil out there.

The three vendors that really do well is Steve at Rennsport Systems, Mike at Schatz Motorsports, and Andial.

I do know that Steve and Mike can put together a system that uses the street GT1 Turbos and a modified ECU that will make your TT fly without killing the reliability. Andial can put together systems all the way up to 630 HP.

Good Luck!

Rick

Quick Reply: Peeking over the fence.....