DE

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2001, 10:38 AM
Robert Lewe
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post DE

Hi fellow listers:

Well, it’s finalized. I’m all signed up for my first Driver’s Ed event! It is the “Viper Days” event at Virginia International Raceway on July 20, 21, and 22. Everyone I’ve talked to says the course is beautiful, and I can’t wait to drive there. I’m also looking forward to finally meeting Todd and hopefully having him drive my car and instruct me some.
After my wife and I get back from the Parade in Milwaukee, I plan to put on a new set of tires (BF Goodrich TA KD), have the oil changed, and bleed the brakes. As a newbie, I would appreciate anyone’s comments/advice on other things I should do prior to this event.

TIA

Robert Lewe
1997 993tt
Old 06-16-2001, 09:27 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

I strongly suggest you have the brake fluid changed, and fully flushed, rather than just a bleed. (Fully flushed means the accumulator which has to be done with the Hammer or equivalent.) Also, have the brake pads checked for wear. The stock pads are not the best for track and the TT speeds can use them up in a hurry.

FYI - I got 2 days at Grattan and 1 1/2 days at The Glen with almost 0 street miles on a stock set of pads. Have a blast.
Old 06-17-2001, 01:43 PM
Robert Lewe
6th Gear

Mark,
Thanks for the recommendation of a change and full flush of the break fluid. That makes a lot of sense and I am definitely going to do that.
Robert
1997 993 tt
Old 06-18-2001, 01:19 PM
SRF
5th Gear

If you are going to track the car more often, it's a very good move to get better pads on the car. Pagid Orange are usually considered the best all around application for a street and track combo car.
Old 06-18-2001, 01:33 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Pagid Orange have great stopping power and good life for the track. I found them to be awful on the street - squeeled far too much, so I put stock pads on at the end of last year. I had intended to try some different track pads, but wore out the stock in a couple of days. I now have Pagid Sport Pads (Red, I think) and will be doing my first track days on these next week at Mid-Ohio.
Old 06-18-2001, 08:59 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark,

I really liked the Sport Pads. They squealed much less than the oranges, and seemed to work on the track just fine.

And Robert, be sure to change-out that brake fluid at least a couple times a year if you are doing a lot of DE events. A lot of us use the ATE Blue and then alternate with the ATE Amber fluid. This way you will know when all of the fluid is out of the system.

And, by the way, a couple of years ago I witnessed a beautiful 91 Turbo run off the end of the straight at Portland International Raceway because his brake fluid boiled at 150 MPH. Not a pretty sight.

Rick

Rick
Old 06-18-2001, 09:33 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

I just got some temperature indicating paint. Will try it at Mid-Ohio and see what kind of temperatures I am seeing. Should be interesting.
Old 07-01-2001, 11:36 PM
Konrad 996tt
Instructor

Smile

VIR is a great track. I have instructed there a few times this year. The full course (which you will be running) is awesome! It will be very warm though, so keep an eye on the temp gauge, and take ful advantage of the 1/2 cool down lap. The 993tt is a fantastic car for this track. I ran my 993tt with stock pads, and a friend used pagids on his 996. He could probably outbrake my car, but I still have my rotors (his lasted 2 DE ecvents at VIR)!! Stick with OEM pads, at least during your first few DE events. Bleeding brakes is a must, using ATE Blue is a stong suggestion. If this is your first DE event, I would suggest you stick to street tires (pun intended). Switch to slicks after a few events.
You will be mixing it up with some Vipers and other Detroit Iron. They are great point-and-squirt cars, but the stock cars lack handling and braking power. Check your mirrors. Unfortunately, I had to cancel instructing at this event, due to business travel. I will miss it. Good luck!!
Old 07-09-2001, 12:49 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Konrad 993tt:
<STRONG>Unfortunately, I had to cancel instructing at this event, due to business travel. I will miss it. Good luck!! </STRONG>
Konrad are you serious? I was looking forward to a ride in the new car. Big time bummer - will miss seeing you.

Robert,

I will be there as an instructor, look for Speed Yellow 993 #13, there will be a couple of us P-car guys there. Greg Fishman will be there instructing with his C2S race car and a frind from Charlotte will be there with his 996. I imagine we will all be together in the paddock somewhere.

Are you coming Friday too???
Old 07-09-2001, 11:44 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts
Konrad -

Hate it for you and us that you won't be there. I was looking forward to a ride in the silver bullet.

See you soon.

Quick Reply: DE