Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone has a good tool for adding motor oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 12:54 AM
Jimmy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone has a good tool for adding motor oil?

I have no problem adding motor oil to my 993 but the recently bought 993tt is causing a problem, the intercooler is in the way. Any tool suggested to make it hassle free?
Old 06-01-2001, 01:14 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jimmy,

My 1997 993TT's oil filler neck has a self-contained, black plastic, accordion-style filler neck that is helpful. I am able to pull it out several inches - to the side of the intercooler. The oil can then be added easily straight from the bottle without other aids such as funnels.

Hopefully, you'll find this on your example! Good luck!
Old 06-01-2001, 06:36 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Hi Jimmy,

-- Gloves to avoid heat.
-- Be sure that you are NOT missing the accordion style filler neck (not that it is a big deal)
-- I found it convenient to also get an extra funnel with a flexible rubber spout and then direct it towards the accordion funnel. It helps avoid the heat and risk of the oil getting into the wrong place.

Actually, since you just bought the car, why don't you start off with an oil change. Thats what I did - well, I actually did a "yearly maintenance" together with some other minor things.

Cheers

Originally posted by Jimmy:
<STRONG>I have no problem adding motor oil to my 993 but the recently bought 993tt is causing a problem, the intercooler is in the way. Any tool suggested to make it hassle free?</STRONG>
Old 06-01-2001, 10:37 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Here is a free funnel to use that works well. Use a empty plastic motor oil bottle and cut it in half, and flip it upside down and insert it into the oil filler opening. And now you can pour oil into the enlarged opening carelessly.

Robin
Old 06-01-2001, 12:20 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

I found that removing the accordion style filler neck improves the flow of putting in the oil.

I just use a funnel with a long tube on it. Any major automotive store has those.

Rick
Old 06-03-2001, 10:51 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched my mechanic do this and he took off the top part of the intercooler. There were 4-5 bolts which he removed to do this.

This added a bit more clearance to the oil filler pipe.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Anyone has a good tool for adding motor oil?