Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone try the BB Tri-Flo Exhaust System?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2001, 03:08 AM
Jimmy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Anyone try the BB Tri-Flo Exhaust System?

My recently bought 993tt has this system installed and my local Porsche service center told me this system is setting off the check engine light and they couldn't do anything. They said somehow the system is interfering with the O2 sensors.

Any solution?
Old 05-30-2001, 05:59 AM
JWKC
Instructor

I got the BB Tri-Flo exhaust ,but never installed on my car.One of the tail pipe were not fit correctly. I send back to the shop and they did exchanged a new one for me.
As for the check engine light. I heard from some one said that if you have the BB Headers and heatexhange . You will have the OBD II Problem and got the check engine lights on!.Pls check if you car also got the BB Headers

Joseph

[ 30-05-2001: Message edited by: JWKC ]
Old 05-30-2001, 06:33 AM
Jimmy
Intermediate

Yes, I have both the headers and mufflers installed. Heard of any solution???
Old 05-30-2001, 08:14 AM
JWKC
Instructor

As what I understand. If you have the headers. the exhaust emissions may already exceed the OBDII acceptable level.May be you can have your ECU reprogramed. (I might be wrong on that)!!
I noticed from your e-mail address you are from HK,And I got my BB muffers from 911 ZENTRUM. I belive the are the Importer of BB Exhausts in HK. May be you can Give them a call.
since My 97 GT2 is OBDI. May be you can change your ECU to an OBDI (Any one can give an opinion on that ???)

Thanks
Joseph

[ 31-05-2001: Message edited by: JWKC ]
Old 05-30-2001, 12:38 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Jimmy,

I too have the B&B mufflers and tips BUT NOT the headers. When i purchased my 993TT about a month back, I went to the local Porsche dealer to identify my suspension and, as an afterthought, asked them about the muffler system. They detailed the suspension quite thoroughly as that was my main line of inquiry but I think the service adviser simply wrote B&B headers a bit casually even though there are no headers on my car. The service advisor actually meant B&B mufflers and tips. And when I read the actual mechanics report, he too did not indicate headers but just mufflers and tips. However when I casually spoke to my previous owner's mechanic on some other matter of mailing, he was a bit upset almost that anyone would even casually think that he would install a header on a 993TT. Such was the extent of his disbelief in "messing" as he called it with the 993TT stock manifold (for regular drivers I guess atleast). Just conveying the news.. I dont know if the extent to which this is absolutely accurate. I guess his belief is that it is not worth the trouble altering the headers for regular drivers.

Perhaps you can go the route suggested by JWKC which, considering that you are in Hong Kong, may be quite okay (OBD1 change) OR you can probably look into going back to stock manifold and retaining just the mufflers and tips like on my car. I may actually go back to stock on that too!

Cheers

PS: JWKC, can you please show me more pics. That GT2 is just too cool. Am usually not a fan of such big wings but yours just looks so awesome even in that little pic. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2001, 11:24 PM
JWKC
Instructor

Ran ,
If you are interested ,Please feel free to visit My cars Photos albums
Old 05-31-2001, 01:39 AM
Jimmy
Intermediate

Ran and Jo,

Ran, after hearing what you said, I talked to Porsche again, and they now said what they meant were B&B mufflers and tips, not headers. So, I guess I now have the same setup as yours, did you ever have any check engine light problem?

Jo, thanks for the info on Zentrum. I will try to locate them and give them a call.
Old 05-31-2001, 03:13 AM
JWKC
Instructor

Question

Jimmy,
How did the Porsche mechanic say about the o2 sensors? what diagnostics error code number they got when they Plug in the tester??I got the workshop repair mannal.May be I can find out for you!
thanks

Joseph

[ 31-05-2001: Message edited by: JWKC ]
Old 05-31-2001, 05:34 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
After gaining + 40 hp on my modified 965 turbo with B&B headers, I considered putting them on my modded 993tt but after talking with B&B confirmed that the gains to be had were minimal compared with the older systems. The factory 993tt header system is very efficient as stock. Can't comment on the mufflers, I run cargraphic mufflers, quite loud outside the car, no resonance inside work well flowing 550hp.
Old 05-31-2001, 07:48 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Jimmy,

To answer your question.. NO, I dont have any issues as far as check engine light etc. To the best of my knowledge, a plain vanilla muffler and tip aftermarket swap should NOT create such issues especially if it is a known co like B&B.

I have the same question for you as JWKC. Also, perhaps you should
a) figure out if you really dont have the headers as, from what I have heard, the headers or the way the headers are installed is usually the problem OR
b) take JWKC's offer and talk to him about your error codes and see if mechanics have missed something - from my experience (see earlier reply, this kind of stuff is to be expected - they didn't even get the description of the system right!!).

As TB993TT says, one does not gain much with exhaust system swaps on the 993TT unlike in the 964 C2 Turbo where all kinds of mods produce results. So, I still think an easy solution is to swap this stuff out. OBD2 does not lend itself to power increases the easy way. Of course if you are bent on having any small increase in power then best to investigate with JWKC.

Keep me informed of what you find out should you talk to JWKC. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2001, 07:51 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

JWKC,
Great pics. Nice collection of cars. If I'm ever there, I'll want to check em out first hand!! I was almost going to be there this January
Thanks for the link.
Old 05-31-2001, 10:45 AM
Jimmy
Intermediate

Exclamation

Ran and Joseph,

A quick update. I just got my car back from the Porsche service center. I plugged in my scan tool and it read 'P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank2)' Does that mean one of the cats is not working right? Which side is bank2? Which one(s) of the datas from the scan tool would help?

Please help diagnose the problem for me.

P.S. Dan, I will reconfirm the headers once my friend comes over tomorrow to help out.
Old 05-31-2001, 03:00 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jimmy,

Be sure the CATS are hot before you test them with the scanner. Go out and drive the car for a while before the test.

Rick
Old 05-31-2001, 05:32 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Jimmy,

Bank 2 is the passenger (right) side CAT. Did the error message come from the 1st oxygen sensor or the 2nd? If it came from the 1st sensor than your oxygen sensor is bad, need to replace it. If it is from the 2nd one, you could have a bad CAT, bad oxygen sensor, or faulty connection. Most likily if the headers were worked on, make sure who ever installed the header installed the original oxygen sensor back correctly, that they didn't cross threaded the sensor, and the it is connected. p-car.com
Old 05-31-2001, 11:07 PM
Jimmy
Intermediate

Rick & Robin,

Rick, yes, the cats were hot when I did the scanning.

Robin, my scan tool software doesn't say specifically from which sensor the error message come. Any abnormal value of sensor readings I could look at to find this out? Some readings:
Bank2 Sensor1 0.075 to 0.775 Avg 0.327
Bank2 Sensor2 0.105 to 0.765 Avg 0.498

Many thanks again! You guys are super!!

Quick Reply: Anyone try the BB Tri-Flo Exhaust System?