Sponsored by:

*** Intercooler Hoses Popping off ***

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 08:38 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm about to replace my hoses with MY '97 versions and some breeze clamps, what is involved in getting to the turbo outlet connection? I assume at least rear bumper and mufflers, but what else?

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:58 AM
race.it
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got told its the rear bumper and the mufflers (have not attempted mine yet) but I dont have mufflers on as I have the fabspeed bypass tubes.

there is a picture in one of the previous pages (page 4 i think) showing access to the top joint on the turbo.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

There's no need to remove the bumper to get the lower hose connection. But if you're going to mod the sheet metal to make room for the breeze clamps you'll probably ant to remove the bumper and the muffler support brackets.

I suspect the lower connections aren't in need of better clamps as much as the upper connections are. This is probably because of the smaller diameter of the hose and the support offered by the nearby sheet metal.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Phelix,

What do you mean by "mod the sheet metal".
Old 12-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Bradford
Phelix,

What do you mean by "mod the sheet metal".
Space is quite tight around the lower connections and the Breeze clamps are a fair bit wider. They won't fit without trimming the engine sheet metal that separates the engine compartmebt from down below.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by phelix
Space is quite tight around the lower connections and the Breeze clamps are a fair bit wider. They won't fit without trimming the engine sheet metal that separates the engine compartmebt from down below.

Interesting, mine fit fine without modiying the sheet metal. If you look at the pic I posted, the sheet metal has not been altered.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I did see that. I wanted a few mm of hose past the clamp and that would have meant trimming the sheet metal. But if your install is working then
Old 05-30-2010, 04:55 PM
98C4S
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has just happeend to me! 400 miles after owning the car, the hose split off at the jubilee clip end, mangleing the top of it so I cant use it again.

I have just ordered the High Torque Jubilee Clips, shall I just order a Hose from Porsche? the standard 408HP one, or shall I get the X50 one - will they fit.

Does anyone have any instructions on how to change the hose, Can I do it myself?

thanks in advance
Old 05-30-2010, 06:49 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Porsche only sells one hose for the 993tt and it's a pricey one. You can do it yourself, just arm yourself with a full array of expletives! Job is much easier if you remove the rear bumper and mufflers.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:51 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

The clamp space is greater with the stock engine mounts. The RS mounts raise the engine slightly and really pinch that area.
Originally Posted by Bradford
Interesting, mine fit fine without modiying the sheet metal. If you look at the pic I posted, the sheet metal has not been altered.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:39 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

>98C4S
Try Suncoast Porsche in Sarasota for the hoses - they have good prices on P parts.
T bolt clamps help a lot.
I blew one last year with same outcome - torn at IC connection.

Good luck.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:48 AM
98C4S
Advanced

Thanks for the responses guys, I am based in the UK - London, so I think I am stuck with OPC's to get the parts. I have ordered some High Torque Jubilee clips so I will use them.

Does anyone have any instructions on how to do this without taking the bumper or Mufflers off?

Pics would be great too!

Thanks again
Old 05-31-2010, 10:02 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 98C4S
Does anyone have any instructions on how to do this without taking the bumper or Mufflers off?
It's pretty straight forward, just take the intercooler off and take a look at the space you have down by the turbos. You will need to take the wheels and mufflers off as a minimum. I've done it multiple times, but the space is limited... just be careful you don't drop anything into the turbo...
Old 01-29-2011, 08:54 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

OK, I'm resurrecting this old thread...did anyone ever find another source for the hard intercooler pipes that were previously sold by MindOverMotorsports and Huntley Racing?

Thanks in advance!
David
Old 05-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lifting an old thread. The right hose to the intercooler came loose during a track day two weeks ago. It has happened once before that it came loose. That time it was on the end closest to the intercooler. After that I changed both hoses with new OEM ones. It was two years ago. When they were changed, I was informed that the fit was not perfect on the right side. So this time it came off at the other end closest to the turbo. I was not surprised when the Porsche workshop called me today to give me an update what had happened.

The car was not drivable so I had to call a tow truck two weeks ago. Had to take a flight home. The course was located at a remote location on an island. This is something I do not want to encounter again.

Searched the forums and saw that it is not uncommon for the right hose comes loose. Is it just not my car that the fit is not perfect? Is the solution to replace the hose clamps? If that is the case where can I buy the clamps mentioned in this thread in Europe?

Could it be that it is possible to adjust the turbo and intercooler to fit better on the right side? The dealer that has the car right now said that they where not totally happy with the fit. This could happened again. They want to order a new hose (the old one is two years old). This won't change a thing. And I don´t know if it´s worth to let them spend hours to adjust the turbo or the intercooler if they somehow is not fitted right.

Any comments?

Quick Reply: *** Intercooler Hoses Popping off ***