Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Carbon RS seats for 964RS, 993RS and Speedster

Old 03-23-2017, 06:55 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
All depends on whether you could crowd-fund the estimated £150,000 budget on Rennlist? ;-)
I would be open to writing a check for 20-25% of that if it was matched by 4-5 others. I have no doubt you could sell 50 sets worldwide. We could set up a warehouse/distribution point in the US for as many sets as needed here. Talk to Recaro
Old 03-23-2017, 10:13 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 171 Posts

Interesting

Would shell/hardware/minus coverings be an option? Then have them upholstered locally and thus have unlimited color/material choices.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:14 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm likely a few years away from seats (not your favorite type of customer, I'm sure!) but when I get there a modern, certified, aftermarket re-creation of the RS seat would pretty much exactly fit the bill for me.

Best of luck with this!
Old 03-23-2017, 11:09 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
I would be open to writing a check for 20-25% of that if it was matched by 4-5 others. I have no doubt you could sell 50 sets worldwide. We could set up a warehouse/distribution point in the US for as many sets as needed here. Talk to Recaro
All depends on whether you could crowd-fund the estimated £150,000 budget on Rennlist? ;-)
The tooling, buildup, advertisement, and distribution is far greater than a $150K Sterling buildup (even at todays modest exchange rate). I'll give props to idea, but the money would be FAR better spent investing in 9M. Not least of which, 50 sets of a seat is small potatoes to one of the worlds largest manufacturers of OEM/Aftermarket hip huggers.

I'll put my name down for a set
Old 03-24-2017, 12:10 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
Interesting

Would shell/hardware/minus coverings be an option? Then have them upholstered locally and thus have unlimited color/material choices.
We plan to sell complete seats only, so best suggestion is to buy the cloth ones and have them recovered like you would a Recaro!
Old 03-24-2017, 12:11 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Adjustable thickness/density foam would be a plus something like the RECARO Pro Racer Ultima 1.0
Like Colin I can fit into and SPG but it's really a bit too tight for more than a few laps
PP is perfect but the lower bolsters and small shoulder holes are an issue, Taller drivers can't safely use the stock PP w/ small holes w/ shoulder harnesses.

SPG XL is too big but is also the only one w/ the big shoulder holes. I also like the taller side bolsters. The stock velcro tabs are also nice to secure seat belt receptacles that pass through the side holes.

It would be nice to have removable halo too.

Lastly a mounting system sliders+side mounts that is designed to fit 911-993 w/o modification would make install easier.
Thanks for the feedback Bill. Plan is a complete, direct fit solution for any 964 or 993, just like a factory RS seat.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:11 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SPG is the narrowest, the Pole Position in the middle, the XL SPG is the largest. In comparison the 993RS seat is a fraction narrower than the PP but wider than the SPG. I'm 6' and around 200lbs, I fit the SPG and RS seat quite happily but after 2-3 hours in the SPG I have pins & needles in my leg. As for the RS seat, I drove my Clubsport to the 'Ring and back without a problem.

The RS seats come with additional cushioning that you can remove for track days and refit for road. I guess that ultimately we might offer various densities to tune the seat to the owner.

We source our hides from the same place as a well known Crewe motor manufacturer, hence it will be the highest quality available. We also have a source for original Porsche hides. Hence, as long as the customer covers the additional cost of the material, we will cover the seats in anything of their choice (even genuine Scottish Tartan cloth - don't ask!).
Thank you for a very good post describing the different versions of the Recaro. I think the RS seats would suit my needs more than standard Recaro seats if they are comfortable enough to be used on the street on longer distances. I took my car to the Nürburgring and back to Sweden a few times. Might want to do that in the future too. What stopped me from choosing Recaro seats before was that I don't want to destroy the street driving going to hardcore. The turbo is after all a street car firsthand. But it would be nice to have good seats that hold you in position when doing track days and events. I´ve got some thinking to do. First world problems.

I had a ride in a 964RS a few years ago at the Nürburgring. Had no problem fitting in those seats as I remember. In my part of Europe we use meters and kg. I think if I´ve used googles calculation right I weight 165 Ibs and is around 5.8- 5.9 feet tall.

Regarding the quality of the hide I think your well known Crewe motor manufacture is good enough. It´s nice to know that is is good quality.

Last edited by Robert993TT; 07-15-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:38 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would be very interested in a set, especially if there were options in covering materials like you posted above.

I too would consider a deposit if that made the process viable.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:52 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carbon RS Seats

Colin, I was very excited until I saw that you plan to sell only complete sets. I am in an unusual position. I bought a single authentic 993 Carrera RS seat. I had planned to install it on the driver's side, of course. I would be interested in purchasing a replica for the passenger side. Any chance you'd make an exception?
Old 03-25-2017, 01:01 AM
JenSP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interested in a pair - especially as a well known UK supplier of Porsche interiors said to me (last week) they're no longer exporting re-covered PP's with their own 993 fixings due to certification issues outside of UK/EU and potential issues for owner's insurance cover.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:16 AM
JZ98-993
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I would be interested in a pair assuming they are exact replica's of the factory seats, cushions, leather stitching, perforations, grey inner leather and the spines on the seat backs. Been looking for a proper set for my RS tribute and makes no sense to spend the $$$ on originals
Old 03-25-2017, 10:51 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Silver Surfer
Colin, I was very excited until I saw that you plan to sell only complete sets. I am in an unusual position. I bought a single authentic 993 Carrera RS seat. I had planned to install it on the driver's side, of course. I would be interested in purchasing a replica for the passenger side. Any chance you'd make an exception?
I think what I said was that we were only interested in selling a complete, finished seat, so if you just need one we can definitely accommodate your needs.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:54 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JenSP
Very interested in a pair - especially as a well known UK supplier of Porsche interiors said to me (last week) they're no longer exporting re-covered PP's with their own 993 fixings due to certification issues outside of UK/EU and potential issues for owner's insurance cover.
That's a very interesting point, and exactly why we are going to the expense of having our seats FIA approved, even though few will end up in pure race cars.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:58 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JZ98-993
I would be interested in a pair assuming they are exact replica's of the factory seats, cushions, leather stitching, perforations, grey inner leather and the spines on the seat backs. Been looking for a proper set for my RS tribute and makes no sense to spend the $$$ on originals
Well, as far as possible we will be looking to maintain the factory look aside from the seat back which will be polished finish carbon. Standard finishes will be black fireproof cloth (again, close to original spec "Black Nomex") or all black leather. The 964RS coloured centres (triple blue, red or grey) will be a cost option.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:23 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 243 Posts

Will you use trampoline supports for the bottom cushions?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carbon RS seats for 964RS, 993RS and Speedster