newbie qu re keyfob and immobilizer

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 07:58 AM
derder
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie qu re keyfob and immobilizer

Hi all,

new owner of a 97 C2S. my first 993 and loving every minute of it.

few little issues,

- I am trying to work out the key fob issues.
previous owner told me that because of the immobiliser, everytime I start the car, I have to....

1) unlock the car using the keyring remote
2) put the car key into the ignition slot
3) press the key remote, which locks the car.
4) press the key remote (again) to disable the immobiliser (with the key still in)
5) start the engine.

is that correct?
it seems very counter intuitive to unlock, then lock, then unlock before I can even start the engine.

and it is normal for the remote key to be a bit of hit-n-miss? I replaced the large battery inside the remote, which improved the range a bit, but 50% of the time I find myself pressing it 5+ times before the car unlocks?

there's a small lithium battery inside the computer chip (as well as the large battery) inside the key remote, should I replace that too?

thanks in advance. lots of newbie questions sorry....
Old 03-01-2017, 08:49 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

The sequence should be:
Unlock the car with your electronic fob;
Enter the vehicle and turn the ignition;
Car starts.
No need to repress the fob once it is in the ignition.

The ignition active to start the car times-out after a short period between when you initially unlock the car and the system automatically reengages the immobilizer. I run into what you experience if I sit in the car for a period and then want to restart.

Not sure what lithium battery you speak of but the remote battery can be an issue as even a newly purchased one can be aged stock where you purchased it. Also cleaning the battery contacts in the fob and making sure they are bent to make a solid contact is important.

If you see the red led light when you press the button every time you press the fob, your fob is working. If it only illuminates on some actuations then something is amiss in the fob at the battery or the actuation switch.

As your working fobs battery ages the distance from the car where it works becomes shorter, If you find you must hold it a foot or less from your car you probably need a new fob battery.

Good luck,
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 03-01-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:56 AM
BlackSnake99
Instructor

I just lock/unlock every time I start the car. A pain but not complicated.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:02 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Last question first.
Range is not great with the remote. Are you sure your press is activating the remote? Does the led light on remote when pushing the button? If not always the button can wear out. Not sure of a fix.

As for the immobilizer, if your car is unlocked, jump in, key in ignition. Turn until the immobilize light on the dash comes on. Push button once on remote. Now start the car.
If the car is locked. Push remote button. Get in car. Start car within 20-30 seconds. All good.
Gotta sit and pick your teeth, adjust your package, hug your date? The immobilizer will time out. It thinks maybe you are not going to start the car, and he wants to prevent anybody else from trying.
If this happens, follow instructions above for a unlocked car.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:38 PM
sacman
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 85 Posts

for my car, if it was locked I have 1 minute after it is unlocked to start the car. That's it.

QN
Old 03-01-2017, 10:11 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

THIS...

As for the immobilizer, if your car is unlocked, jump in, key in ignition. Turn until the immobilize light on the dash comes on. Push button once on remote. Now start the car.

If the car is locked. Push remote button. Get in car. Start car within 20-30 seconds. All good.

Gotta sit and pick your teeth, adjust your package, hug your date? The immobilizer will time out. It thinks maybe you are not going to start the car, and he wants to prevent anybody else from trying.
If this happens, follow instructions above for a unlocked car.
LMAO ^^^
Old 03-02-2017, 09:52 AM
JamesP
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 33 Posts

Mine was a bit hit and miss after replacing battery and I cleaned up the contacts and now works a lot better. A few seconds with a hand file is all it took. Range still isn't great, however, I read somewhere that you shouldn't use remotes (car, garage etc) from a distance as you're more open to people intercepting the signal. Not sure if that's an alternative fact or not...
Old 03-02-2017, 12:15 PM
jrmdir
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Re: the comments about poor/intermittent battery contact, this mod looks worthwhile:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ontact_Fix.htm
Old 03-02-2017, 01:10 PM
suban
Instructor

While we are on the subject... I rarely lock my car and it always starts without messing around with the immobilizer/fob. Does that mean my immobilizer is disabled or did I read something wrong in this thread?
Old 03-02-2017, 07:53 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds like a bypassed immobilizer.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:29 PM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

(1) If the car is open/unlocked then when I get in I must use the remote to Lock - Unlock - Use the key to start.

(2) As to range, there is the trick of holding the remote to your chin to increase the range. Works for me by a few car lengths. YMMV.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/tech...care-rem-83663
Old 03-03-2017, 11:41 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Default Extending remote fob range...

Originally Posted by ezinternet
As to range, there is the trick of holding the remote to your chin to increase the range. Works for me by a few car lengths. YMMV.
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/tech...care-rem-83663
A silly as this sounds you may be expanding the effective antenna or useful ground plane the remote has available.

I wonder if one puts the remote in their mouth and actuates it with their tongue they can lock or unlock their car from in their house like a remote on a modern car allows?

On a more serious note, I believe the antenna is just a wire tucked under the headliner edge along the driver side of the car. I wonder of repositioning it or adding some wire to it can increase useful range?

Other's thoughts??

Andy
Old 03-03-2017, 06:15 PM
BlackSnake99
Instructor

Originally Posted by pp000830
On a more serious note, I believe the antenna is just a wire tucked under the headliner edge along the driver side of the car. I wonder of repositioning it or adding some wire to it can increase useful range?

Other's thoughts??

Andy

I can open mine from outer space.

Name:  590A567E-AE50-4575-A2BF-2E14225B6B06_zpsjs92uj5n.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  54.2 KB
Old 03-03-2017, 06:49 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,378 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSnake99
I can open mine from outer space.

LOL....
Old 03-05-2017, 01:11 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Battery life in my fob seems to vary from only a couple of months in some cases to at least 6-8 months at other times. I finally put a regular battery change reminder on my calendar. I keep a spare battery and small screwdriver in the glove box and have done 2-3 "field" battery replacements over the years. It's a sinking feeling when your remote doesn't want to unlock the car.

I haven't done the spiral spring DIY upgrade shown on Pelican but I do clean the contacts regularly and check for a decent interval before the indicated expiry date when I replace the battery. I regularly use the fob-to-chin trick; it works.

Quick Reply: newbie qu re keyfob and immobilizer