993 Forum 1995-1998

Top mounts

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 07:57 AM
cluskera
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Top mounts

Hi folks, I've asked a few questions on rear suspension and thanks to you my understanding has grown. one more !

my rear top mounts have paint markings on them and I've tried to use a "keep things the same" approach. However I like to understand better. On jackals forge for example I see this pic :

How do you know you have your top mounts the right way oriented? For example does it matter if the paint mark is towards rear or front if all the nuts are securely on.

sorry if that's a daft question - to me it sits flush at the rear both ways round but I do notice markings on mine too. How do you know if it's right?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2017, 11:05 AM
squidge
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 45 Posts

I actually just stumbled across this last night while doing the same job.

For the front, the paint mark should be pointed forwards. For the rears, follow the information below, which explains the actual orientation of the shock mount. The four top nuts get torqued to ~25ft-lbs.
Attached Images  

Last edited by squidge; 02-27-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:55 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

I ordered new mounts and don't recall seeing any R or L markings on the top. Looking at pictures in the PSS10 install thread I don't see the pictures either: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...l#post13817654

Visually, the top mounts look symmetrical left to right.

So my question is: I wonder if this is still a relevant instruction when installing PSS10? If so, I'll need to pull mine and double check the orientation.

Is there a similar orientation requirement for the front? I don't think the fronts can go in wrong, they are assymetrical and only fit one way, so I believe those should be fine.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:16 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Looking at the shop manual and comparing it to the PSS10 diagrams I think I see why this is necessary in the original shock. In the stock shock there are asymmetrical parts below the mount that need to be oriented correctly.

In the PSS10 these parts are not used and all is symmetrical. So I don't think the orientation matters with a PSS10 install.

Not sure if OP is installing PSS10 shocks but this thread caught my attention given the fact that I just installed mine.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:18 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

BTW - the picture that started this thread is of a front suspension mount, not rear. Mentioning it in case it becomes a source of confusion for you cluskera.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:55 PM
squidge
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 45 Posts

Ah, sorry about the front vs. rear mixup. Paint mark has to point forward up front, as that mount isn't symmetrical.

In the rear, my new shock mounts do have the L and R marking, and I interpreted the instructions on their orientation as a way to get the shock mount to align properly when installing the shock into the car, but in practice this morning it's not really that helpful. They tell you to align the L/R marking with the "ball joint bolt" which I don't know how'd you do with the shock out of the car.

​​​​​
Old 02-26-2017, 01:03 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

I'm still stuck on whether it matters when doing a PSS10 installation. Since you have yours in-hand, do you see any assymetry in the mounts or the stops (those boat shaped things on the top)?

I don't see mount orientation mentioned in the various PSS10 instructions and tutorials I've found.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:17 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by squidge
Ah, sorry about the front vs. rear mixup. Paint mark has to point forward up front, as that mount isn't symmetrical.

In the rear, my new shock mounts do have the L and R marking, and I interpreted the instructions on their orientation as a way to get the shock mount to align properly when installing the shock into the car, but in practice this morning it's not really that helpful. They tell you to align the L/R marking with the "ball joint bolt" which I don't know how'd you do with the shock out of the car.

​​​​​
The ball joint bolt they're referring to is the sway bar end link, look at the lower left picture with red text overlaid from the shop manual.

IIRC, the rubber and upper washers (aka stop plates) are assymetrical. Their orientation vs the mount is determined via the 3 notches in the center opening. The PSS10 instructions assume you return them to the original positions.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:57 PM
cluskera
Instructor

Hi yes it's the rear I'm worried about. It's hard to see into the tower so I'll have to pull them.

its koni fsd shocks I'm using. I don't recall seeing a R/L marking I have to say.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:27 PM
cluskera
Instructor

Originally Posted by squidge
I actually just stumbled across this last night while doing the same job.

The paint mark should be pointed towards the front, but that's really just a visual cue for the information below, which explains the actual orientation of the shock mount. The four top nuts get torqued to ~25ft-lbs.
sorry im a little confused - is it making reference to the rear sway bar / drop link joint? In the picture on the right diagram you see the rubber cushions under the metal part at the top - the fat one on my car is nearest the cooling fan which suggests I'm back to front then? Does right mean as you stand at back of car and look forward?

My left one as I look forward from back
Old 02-26-2017, 03:56 PM
cluskera
Instructor

Sorry I see sway bar link question answered. Cooling fan better ref certainly. Yeah I could well be back to front
Old 02-26-2017, 04:01 PM
cluskera
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
BTW - the picture that started this thread is of a front suspension mount, not rear. Mentioning it in case it becomes a source of confusion for you cluskera.
thanks - yes I was talking about the rear and using that as an example of the paint marking...
Old 02-26-2017, 05:08 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Curious, I went back to my photos and found a shot where you can see the "R" (in yellow), and the notch (in red) that should point to the center of the drop link ball joint. Based on that, you should be able to confirm 100% that the top mount is oriented correctly.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:17 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mpruden
Curious, I went back to my photos and found a shot where you can see the "R" (in yellow), and the notch (in red) that should point to the center of the drop link ball joint. Based on that, you should be able to confirm 100% that the top mount is oriented correctly.

Good find. Do you think this is observable while the shock is mounted in the car or does it need to be dropped?
Old 02-26-2017, 05:47 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Unfortunately, it does not look visible in situ.

Quick Reply: Top mounts