993 Forum 1995-1998

Upgraded Walrod Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 03:33 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Upgraded Walrod Bushings

I know there are many happy Walrod bushing owners like myself on Rennlist. I also know there are some that hate poly in this location due to stiction and binding over time. I had to taper the metal inserts on a lather until I was happy with how free the assemble moved once installed on my car. While not ideal I still prefer them over RS in the front lower control arms. They offer similar support of solid monoballs without the noise and discomfort.

One of the guys on the Miata forums came up with a great idea to solved the downsides of poly bushings in control arms. He uses a SAE863 specification, which is a high load, iron-copper based (not even really bronze I guess), oil impregnated bearing to go between the poly and metal sleeve. This is what the control arm assembly pivots on now. It's free moving like a monoball but still has the isolation qualities of poly. In other words the best of both worlds.

I plan to machine a set for my own car as a one off. Depending on interest one of our respected vendors on the forum said he would open to carrying them as a option for walrod bushing owners.

Here is what it looks like on a Miata. The 993 version would be slightly different but you get the idea.
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2017, 04:43 PM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gotta love Creo, better than Catia in some aspects.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:12 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I think the bushing material you are refering to, is oilite. It has some very interesting machining properties, that you may find laughable or frustrating, depending upon your outlook.

A google search will explain the mat'l and machining properties.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:51 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nine9six
I think the bushing material you are refering to, is oilite. It has some very interesting machining properties, that you may find laughable or frustrating, depending upon your outlook.

A google search will explain the mat'l and machining properties.
I heard it can be a challenging material to machine. I'll be using someone who has experience working with the material so I am not too concerned with that aspect of things. I am mostly interested in the final results.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:56 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Were these ever produced? Sounds like an interesting option, as I’m deciding between Walrods and RS rubber to replace my control arm bushings.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:03 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

I have a spare set of inserts. Just need to chase down some extra control arms to play with. It will likely be a one off situation. If there is enough interest I will put my guy in touch with Darin at Fister and let him run with it from there.

It really is the ultimate street/track setup. All the low friction benefits of spherical bearings without the wear and maintenance. They also offer better NVH that spherical bearings.

I am getting caught up on my other projects so I hope to have it done late spring/early summer.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:36 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Kinda off topic, but is it true that Singer is using Walrod bushings? it would make sense since Chris is working there but i'd be interested in find out if they went with rubber or PU on their cars.

Quick Reply: Upgraded Walrod Bushings