Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How to instal Unichip?

Old 11-05-2003, 12:19 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts
Question How to instal Unichip?

I just agreed to buy a used Unichip (The Program) piggy back computer. (I have been talking about it for nearly a year!) I would like to instal it myself and take it to the local Unichip dealer just for a remapping.

The installation is very simple and requires 'splicing' the unit's cables to specific ECU cables. What I don't have is a wiring diagram! Can anyone help?

Secondly, rather than splicing original wiring, I would prefer to disconnect the plug to the ECU, and make a short (10cm/4") extension cable which connects to the ECU plug at one end and the female D-sub connection (I assume) on the ECU itself. I imagine it looks something like this:

Does anyone know the exact specification of the socket/plug on the ECU?

Then I can splice into the extension cable and leave the original wiring untouched. I haven't got the ECU in front of me so I hope this makes sense? Is this possible? Where could I find the correct connectors?

If that's not possible then I assume I should use a terminal block such as this:
Old 11-05-2003, 12:40 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Graham,

Run, don't walk from this set up. The Racers Group that originally created it, has sold the business to another outfit. They were getting a bad reputation from this (I was also one who tried it for a short time).....
Old 11-05-2003, 12:45 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Graham, I was under the impression that it was "spliced" in by having a connector that plugs in between the normal connector - no wires actually get cut or spliced. When the guy at TRG explained it to me it seemed like a 5 minute operation (followed by an hour or so of time on the dyno to get the best map). You might want to check with the people who would do the tuning for you.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:57 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Bob, would you mind sharing your experience with me? Offline if you prefer. I have read too many good reviews of this system to believe that it has no merit but I am aware that the installation is only as good as the programmer!

Tom, I don't believe that is a standard Unichip item but TRG may well have designed exactly the sort of thing I am trying to describe.

What I am trying to find is a simple diagram like this one:

Old 11-05-2003, 01:14 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by viperbob
Graham,

Run, don't walk from this set up. The Racers Group that originally created it, has sold the business to another outfit. They were getting a bad reputation from this (I was also one who tried it for a short time).....
I had the Unichip in my 964 and have to say that I am not too sure that there is anything wrong with the product per se- indeed if anything I would think that it really is limited by the expertise of the programmer.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:21 AM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

I have no familiarity with the Unichip, but in the motorcycing world piggyback type units are pretty common. Their usefulness has everything to do with the tuner, it usually takes several dyno runs with someone knowing exactly what they are doing to get it dialed in. If dialed in well, they tend to be better than any chip because it is customized to your specific car and any mods you may have, not an "average" car.

Because it's easy to upload and download maps, many folks also post their maps online, so you can grab others to try.

Again, my experience is NOT with the Unichip, just similar bike products.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:31 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bear in mind also that BOb runs a turbo. I'm pretty sure the unichip is unable to offer control of certain elemtns of the TT's engine management. I understand that the unichip is better suited to NA applications.

Graham

I wouldn't DIY at all -if anything goes slightly pear shaped, you will have no come back witht he tuner if you did the hardware install. Let them take full responsibilty as I don't think its an 8 hr labour job - you're only saving a small $$$$.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:32 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

I now have the wiring diagram. If anyone else wants a copy, let me know.

Viperbob, thanks for your concern but I know someone else who will buy it fom me if I am unhappy with the installation so all I will lose is the dyno hire.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:26 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Yes the turbo install is even trickier as they high jack the boost control signal and the MAF in order to attain higher boost. The part that DOES apply to NA and Turbos is fuel. They can not adjust the duty cycle of the fuel injectors. While the stock injectors are capable of handling tremendous power, they could not be used to richen the mixture. So I had to install additional injectors that fired when under boost pressure. So by adjusting timing, and the other variables if you need additional fuel, Oh well... Not a great setup. Then again maybe the product adds so little power that it is OK on a NA car. Take VERY careful AF reading on the dyno when you install this.... And splicing wires into the ECU is not a simple DIY. You have 70+ wires in a tight area, with little room to splice and insulate. Then just finding the wire is fun. 30 of them are brown, and the rest do not match up color code wise to the wiring diagram I have on my car...

I also know of a couple of good shops that signed up as unichip installers, received all the info, and then never installed a single one as they were not comfortable with the product. This pushed me over the edge and I deinstalled mine before I had a catashtophe. Again it was a turbo, but....

Good luck Graham
Old 02-14-2021, 08:18 PM
Fad Fadhier
1st Gear

[QUOTE=graham_mitchell;855804]I now have the wiring diagram. If anyone else wants a copy, let me know.

Hello sir. Can u give me copy wiring diagram unichip?
Old 02-16-2021, 09:26 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Before deciding on such a product,
I was wondering what quantitative results Graham is looking for. Say for example 15 more foot/pounds torque in the lower RPMs?
Andy
Old 02-16-2021, 12:28 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Graham hasn't been on the 993 board in well over a dozen years, and he's been banned, to boot, so, unfortunately, he's not going to respond.
The following users liked this post:
pp000830 (02-16-2021)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to instal Unichip?