Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Rennline Cell Phone Holder Install w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 05:23 PM
Bergo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is too cool! I just installed a similar mount in my daily driver, will be putting an order in to Rennline with my extinguisher mount!
Old 12-23-2016, 03:39 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts

Even works for a RHD, actually you can mount it either side, but I like it on the door side. Small, hardly notice it, best mount I have owned. Others are now in the tip!
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2016, 05:02 PM
YellowDieselGolf
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Just started to order one but international shipping will cost $62 USD. Yikes.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:22 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by YellowDieselGolf
Just started to order one but international shipping will cost $62 USD. Yikes.
I use NZ YouShop. NZD17. US retailers just make up postage for international shipping

I see there is an Aussie equivalent https://shopmate.auspost.com.au
Old 12-23-2016, 09:17 PM
J4yDubs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget to use code 1225 for 15% off. I'd be ordering one. With my vintage cassette holder, I don't have any place to put my phone.

John
Old 12-28-2016, 06:46 PM
Macs993
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just installed the rennline mount and it is perfect. One problem, on my 1995 993 the clock has one large multi-pin connector that disconnected without much trouble but it also has a single wire connector that would not disconnect. In the course of trying to remove it the wire pulled off the connector. The clock and all the indicator lights work fine. The wire appears to connect the tiny rocker switch used to change the time. That is not functioning now. Does anyone know how this connector comes off so I can solder the wire back on? Should I just pull harder?
Old 12-28-2016, 06:59 PM
ichibum9
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macs993
I just installed the rennline mount and it is perfect. One problem, on my 1995 993 the clock has one large multi-pin connector that disconnected without much trouble but it also has a single wire connector that would not disconnect. In the course of trying to remove it the wire pulled off the connector. The clock and all the indicator lights work fine. The wire appears to connect the tiny rocker switch used to change the time. That is not functioning now. Does anyone know how this connector comes off so I can solder the wire back on? Should I just pull harder?
I used a small pick to pop the little retainer that holds it to the electrical board and it came off pretty easily. Hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:12 PM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macs993
Yea, there is a finger that goes down in the clock with a hook at the end. You use a pick or small screw driver and just pry that finger hook away from the base..hard to describe.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:28 PM
ichibum9
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might be too neurotic, but... for those mounting the steel plate on the inside of their phone cases or directly to their phones I put a small piece of clear bra between the phone and the plate to make removal easier and prevent the plate from scratching the phone.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:04 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

+1. Never to neurotic. "The devil is in the details".

New car delivery is often accompanied with a protective film (blue) covering bright work etc., from damage/scratches. Door sill plates, trunk sill plates to name a few as example.
Here's neurotic... The Frau's MY05 Subaru Outback XT now ten years on from order/delivery... continues to wear the protective blue film on the aluminum door sills and the rear hatch aluminum sill plate. The Outback XT has that pre-delivery look at age 10....

Originally Posted by ichibum9
This might be too neurotic, but... for those mounting the steel plate on the inside of their phone cases or directly to their phones I put a small piece of clear bra between the phone and the plate to make removal easier and prevent the plate from scratching the phone.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:42 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This Rennline mount is the perfect design solution for a Cell phone or even a Garmin Nav. I like it!
My question would be if the mount could be rotated closer to the 2 hour mark not touching the dash so to not block the vent as much. I'd like to see a side shot of the space between the dash and the mount, is it close to touching at the 3 hour mark?
Old 01-05-2017, 12:12 AM
serval
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Here's my solution
Attached Images   
Old 01-05-2017, 04:36 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts

I would not recommend to mount anything on the airbag covers. This is potentially very dangerous, there's a risk of the object being shot towards the passenger if the airbag deploys. There's also risk of obstruction of correct airbag deployment.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 01-05-2017, 05:30 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ToreB
I would not recommend to mount anything on the airbag covers. This is potentially very dangerous, there's a risk of the object being shot towards the passenger if the airbag deploys. There's also risk of obstruction of correct airbag deployment.
Cheers,
Tore
+993 same thought!
Old 01-05-2017, 08:34 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by ToreB
Cheers,
Tore
+ 2

Quick Reply: Rennline Cell Phone Holder Install w/pics