Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Auto Transport Companies - Enclosed Door to Door

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 10:44 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

The only comment I would add is some of the above are brokers, and you are step away from whomever is doing the actual moving.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:49 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,376 Likes on 657 Posts

My broker just arranges the price and pickup date. I get a picture of the drivers truck / their cell phone # and approve the shipping.....once the car is on the trailer I'm in direct contact with the driver until it's in my warehouse.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:48 PM
miclin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to hijack the thread but has anyone used passport?
Old 10-21-2016, 09:06 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Intercity is based in MA on the CT/MA line.

After a disastrous experience with another carrier I only use them as they are worth the wait IMHO.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:15 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Intercity wouldn't go near central OR.
Reliable wanted 2-3 weeks to get my car from San Diego to Bend.

Nick @ Plycar all but asked me when I wanted it pu and delivered-and and as competitive.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:32 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HalfGerman
Just for a data point, mine was Intercity for $ 2k from Ore to NH. Took a couple of weeks before a truck was in the area for pickup.
Used Intercity from VT-FL-VT many times and they are excellent, but do need to schedule time well in advance sometimes and they give us Rennlist discount.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:32 PM
Staff@WORLD
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 215 Likes on 129 Posts

I NEVER USE A BROKER, I was burned a couple ofttimes and learned my lessons.

I now use PLYCAR for all my auto transport needs. I would rather pay a higher price to know who I am dealing with and have confidence that my car will be shipped in a quality transport and meet whatever timeline I was told.
- Akrapovic - BMC - TechArt - H&R - By Design - AMS - CSF - Kline - NGK - TiLugs - HRE - M Engineering - ID Injectors -
FULL SERVICE INSTALLATION FACILITY - STATE OF THE ART WIND TUNNEL DYNO - ECU TUNING
WORLD-MOTORSPORTS.COM
Old 10-28-2016, 01:05 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Angles trucking is a sponsor here and did an amazing job

Shipped Cali to Maddison.

Communication was over the top with constant text messages. Car was delivered within 4 hours of the original promise.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:21 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 121 Posts

Well, thanks for all the suggestions gang.

I ended up having discussions with 80% of all the recommended outfits and ultimately went with "The Finest Carrier - Broker"

The person I interfaced with, Haley, brokered a transport with Desert Rose Logistics. She did this off "Central Dispatch" which is a centralized board where many brokers go.

Typically, from what I gather, brokers will post a route and a price on CD, and the job ultimately goes to the carrier who "claims" that job. The high priced jobs get snapped up first, and the lower price jobs sit and get stale. Often times I am to understand that the broker will take the money from the customer, post the job on CD, and then the job will sit sit sit ---- anywhere from 2 days to 10+ days until the job gets claimed by a transport company. Meanwhile the customer, who doesn't understand this, sits there and stews as time draaaags on.

Apparently TFC, instead of using CD, forms its own network of relationships ---- faster turnaround for the customer but lower volume.

Total elapsed time from pickup in Connecticut to delivery in California was 10 days. $1850 all inclusive Door to Door in a 2 car enclosed trailer pulled by an F350 ---- and I live on a street where access is Difficult with a capital D. I paid TFC's cut first ... and then the remaining balance to Desert Rose Logistics upon receipt of the car.

The ultimate pickup/delivery times were on-target for pickup and +2 days on delivery. Dispatch @ Desert Rose was telling both myself and Haley @ TFC that delivery would happen on Friday, but the driver didn't actually make the delivery until Monday. This is about as I expected from this industry --- I had many folks calibrate me to expect this.

That said, the car arrived in primo condition, and Haley was an AWESOME front end for the customer service. Phone/Emails/Text messages - you name it, Haley was responsive, cheerful, and, importantly, a breath of calmness. I probably traded 75+ texts with her, and some on Sundays. She earned her cut and then some. I'd avail myself of her services again without hesitation.

And here is the Porsche-built MB 500E!

Old 11-02-2016, 09:04 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlaa

I ended up having discussions with 80% of all the recommended outfits and ultimately went with "The Finest Carrier - Broker"

The person I interfaced with, Haley, brokered a transport with Desert Rose Logistics. She did this off "Central Dispatch" which is a centralized board where many brokers go.

Typically, from what I gather, brokers will post a route and a price on CD, and the job ultimately goes to the carrier who "claims" that job. The high priced jobs get snapped up first, and the lower price jobs sit and get stale. Often times I am to understand that the broker will take the money from the customer, post the job on CD, and then the job will sit sit sit ---- anywhere from 2 days to 10+ days until the job gets claimed by a transport company. Meanwhile the customer, who doesn't understand this, sits there and stews as time draaaags on.

Apparently TFC, instead of using CD, forms its own network of relationships ---- faster turnaround for the customer but lower volume.

Total elapsed time from pickup in Connecticut to delivery in California was 10 days. $1850 all inclusive Door to Door in a 2 car enclosed trailer pulled by an F350 ---- and I live on a street where access is Difficult with a capital D. I paid TFC's cut first ... and then the remaining balance to Desert Rose Logistics upon receipt of the car.

The ultimate pickup/delivery times were on-target for pickup and +2 days on delivery. Dispatch @ Desert Rose was telling both myself and Haley @ TFC that delivery would happen on Friday, but the driver didn't actually make the delivery until Monday. This is about as I expected from this industry --- I had many folks calibrate me to expect this.

That said, the car arrived in primo condition, and Haley was an AWESOME front end for the customer service. Phone/Emails/Text messages - you name it, Haley was responsive, cheerful, and, importantly, a breath of calmness. I probably traded 75+ texts with her, and some on Sundays. She earned her cut and then some. I'd avail myself of her services again without hesitation.

Glad everything worked out and accepted my suggestion! I was very happy with The Finest Carrier and Haley's communication till delivery! Looks awesome!
Old 11-02-2016, 10:21 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlaa

Love the 500E, Jlaa. If only they made a 500E wagon. I have a thing against cars with trunks (frunks are okay though!).
Old 11-04-2016, 01:47 PM
the_dove
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
First post here - have just bought my first 911. 1983 coupe.
Following the recommendations here, I decided to go with PLYCAR.
Got a quote OR to NJ 2,500$ for enclosed transport.
My question - is payment usually done upfront, upon delivery or upfront deposit?
Thanks
Old 11-04-2016, 02:01 PM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts

I paid at the time of delivery. They already have a "deposit", your car when they pick it up.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:12 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts

Intercity is the way to go. I can count on two hands how many issues showed up this year during the infamous Monterey Car week. I'm not talking about your weekend warrior either....
Old 11-04-2016, 06:37 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Nice ride jlaa.

Originally Posted by mpruden
Love the 500E, Jlaa. If only they made a 500E wagon. I have a thing against cars with trunks (frunks are okay though!).
Not a 500E but found you your next t-shirt

https://www.blipshift.com/products/unicorn-iii

Quick Reply: OT: Auto Transport Companies - Enclosed Door to Door