993 Forum 1995-1998

993 - Fuel Shut Off Valve Replacement

Old 10-17-2016, 09:55 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 993 - Fuel Shut Off Valve Replacement

HELP!
Ok guys any help or recommendation would be greatly appreciated. I snapped the plastic top of the Fuel Shut off Valve (part#964-201-061-00) at the factory hose connection while I was moving the expansion tank so I could tighten the connections to get rid of the fuel smell..uggghhhh. The Fuel Shut Off Valve is the weird canister that sits in the side of the expansion tank on top of the fuel tank with the plastic wave hose coming off of it. Swapping in the new one should be straightforward but here is the real question.

1. The plastic hose that comes off the top goes down behind the gas tank and connects somewhere, probably to a venting hose. Does anyone know where it connects exactly? Inside or outside the car near the fuel pump? Maybe it just vents to the outside and has an in-line check valve, I don't know...

2. Do I have to completely remove the fuel tank or can I just disconnect the fuel tank nozzle hoses, take off the strap and pull it forward without draining it? I am familiar with the tank removal procedure but want to avoid messing with the fuel pump hoses and sending unit to drain the tank which is half full.

Part of me just wants to JB Weld where it snapped which would work but I'm too **** to do it.

Maybe someone out there has done exactly this but I have not stumbled across it in the forums.

Any help with this would be tremendous...

IMAGE keeps coming in upside down... man its been that kind of day
Attached Images  

Last edited by J.B.H.; 10-17-2016 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 10-17-2016, 10:43 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

I think as a minimum, it will require loosening the gas tank retaining strap and pulling the tank forward. If you look at the PET, that line attaches somewhere just above the fuel pump with what appears to be a threaded or bayonet type connection. You may be able to disconnect from underneath.

Here is a photo from when I had my tank out for evaporator replacement - it looks as though I just left it connected.

Name:  DSCN5623.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  207.8 KB

Name:  DSCN5612.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  135.3 KB
Old 10-18-2016, 08:41 AM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Paul, the pictures are a tremendous help! I think just unstrapping and moving it forward will give me enough room to drop the hose down and connect from underneath as you said.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:46 AM
Sutters
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J.B.H.
Thanks Paul, the pictures are a tremendous help! I think just unstrapping and moving it forward will give me enough room to drop the hose down and connect from underneath as you said.
Very old post but would love to know if removing the fuel tank strap gave you enough room to get down the back?

I need to slide my fire wall back in and its too tight behind the fuel tank to get the correct fitment required. The firewall came out with a huge pull which indicated its was extremely snug, I looked at the area with a torch and there is no way it goes back in without creating a few millimeters.

Ian
UK

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 993 - Fuel Shut Off Valve Replacement