993 Forum 1995-1998

New Car, First Post, Damage, Pictures, and a Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 12:22 PM
GTA6T7
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New Car, First Post, Damage, Pictures, and a Question

Hi Rennlisters, I've been lurking here for a while learning about Porsche's and trying to decide which model was right for me. Yesterday I purchased a 1995 993 coupe. Really love driving the car. The road feel is incredible.

I drive it to my house and attempted to put in in my garage and CRASH! The car came to a sudden halt and there was a loud crash. After letting out a string of profanity, I got out of the car and determined that the 2 inch lip on my garage (see picture) was too tall for the front of the car and the steel bar that runs across the front it the concrete lip breaking the concrete in places. The car lifted and the front bumper and plastic got scraped up really bad. Yes, the car is lowered. What a start to a beautiful relationship!

I do have a question. My car has the rear wiper. I noticed that when I open the rear hatch (engine cover) the hatch makes contact with the rear wiper and has chipped the paint. This seems like a design flaw and very un-Porsche like. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks. Here are some pictures.
Attached Images    
Old 10-16-2016, 12:53 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Your car(s) look great! Congrats on the 993.

The front bumper cover is pretty easy to remove if you need to correct any damage down there. Also, the metal used to attach the bottom of the bumper cover to the body is pretty easy to bend back in place if yours is a little out of alignment now.

I've always wondered about the basket handle hitting the rear wiper, but never thought to ask the community.

My basket handle makes contact as well, and it has discolored the paint a bit. I have good service records with my car and have no evidence the engine lid has ever been removed. I have to think that this is normal, but curious if others have this issue.

Disclaimer: my car is a Targa, with a different rear window than a coupe, so this comparison isn't exactly apples-to-apples.

Last edited by mpruden; 10-16-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:39 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Ouch, an easy and inexpensive fix for the garage lip is to go the a Farm supply store and buy a horse stall mat. It is hard rubber and very thick. One or two mats in full size or cut into strips can be used to form a rubber ramp that lifts the front wheels before the front lip of the car goes over the raised threshold allowing the car to clear it. In my case I used them at the apron at the end of my driveway. The mats are very heavy and cost abot $35 each. I hold mine in place using 8" gutter nails pounded into the blacktop at each side . This seems to work well.
Andy

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...t?cm_vc=-10005
Old 10-16-2016, 02:50 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Great looking car!

You mentioned:

Originally Posted by GTA6T7
.....2 inch lip on my garage (see picture) was too tall for the front of the car and the steel bar that runs across the front (h)it the concrete lip breaking the concrete in places.
If you have a steel bar that is attached to the underside of your front bumper that looks like the one on the attached image, that part is called a "front protection bar (FPB)" and was added by a previous owner to protect the underside of the bumper. Thing is, when a car is lowered, the added thickness of the FPB can cause the car to scrape more than it would without the bar. I had this exact problem with an FPB on my car and removing it eliminated the scraping I was experiencing. Doing the same may work for you.
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2016, 04:40 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
Thing is, when a car is lowered, the added thickness of the FPB can cause the car to scrape more than it would without the bar. I had this exact problem with an FPB on my car and removing it eliminated the scraping I was experiencing.
I did the same thing...never had a scrapping issue until I added the FPB...kinda ironic I guess
Old 10-16-2016, 06:57 PM
GTA6T7
Advanced

Yup. That's the bar I have. I agree that without the bar, the car would have scraped the garage floor lip but not the crashing stop I experienced. I'll think about removing it.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:59 PM
GTA6T7
Advanced

[QUOTE=pp000830;13678957]Ouch, an easy and inexpensive fix for the garage lip is to go the a Farm supply store and buy a horse stall mat.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check them out. Right now I am using 2x6 planks to lift the car up. It's a pain to have to position planks every time I want to come or go.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:41 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you like the look of the basket handle, one option is to remove it and move the 3rd brake light to the top of the rear window.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:42 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Interesting that the front protection bar causes scraping. I made a crescent shaped sheet metal shield for the rear bumper cover that was held in place by straps attached to the clamping bolts that hold the exhaust cross section. The shield stops the front facing lip of the bumper cover from catching on things in rare grounding incidents on steep aprons. A minor grounding incident can pull the bumper cover back and tear it in one of the exhaust tip openings. I suspect a shield made of sheet metal can be easily made for the front bumper cover. It could extend forward a few inches and even protect the plastic without adding any meaningful thickness to the bodywork.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:22 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 271 Posts

Welcome aboard! Sorry about your incident but, after that's resolved you'll be well on your way to "The Slippery Slope"! Incidentally, nice GTA. A few of us here speak "Mustang", too.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:38 AM
GTA6T7
Advanced

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Welcome aboard! Sorry about your incident but, after that's resolved you'll be well on your way to "The Slippery Slope"! Incidentally, nice GTA. A few of us here speak "Mustang", too.
I know what you mean about the slippery slope. I am already looking at wheels and exhaust. My early education seems to indicate that Porsche parts are about 10x more expensive than Mustang parts.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:43 AM
GTA6T7
Advanced

Originally Posted by pp000830
Interesting that the front protection bar causes scraping. I made a crescent shaped sheet metal shield for the rear bumper cover that was held in place by straps attached to the clamping bolts that hold the exhaust cross section. The shield stops the front facing lip of the bumper cover from catching on things in rare grounding incidents on steep aprons. A minor grounding incident can pull the bumper cover back and tear it in one of the exhaust tip openings. I suspect a shield made of sheet metal can be easily made for the front bumper cover. It could extend forward a few inches and even protect the plastic without adding any meaningful thickness to the bodywork.
I like the concept of the bar. I my case it just happened to be at the perfect height to catch my garage floor lip. I'll think about creating a shield for the front of the car to glide the bar over the garage lip. Thanks
Old 10-17-2016, 09:47 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Great idea Andy!

Thanks.

BTW OP, nice looking car. I don't have an issue with the rear wiper and my basket handle. Very curious as to why I'm not if you guys are.

Originally Posted by pp000830
Ouch, an easy and inexpensive fix for the garage lip is to go the a Farm supply store and buy a horse stall mat. It is hard rubber and very thick. One or two mats in full size or cut into strips can be used to form a rubber ramp that lifts the front wheels before the front lip of the car goes over the raised threshold allowing the car to clear it. In my case I used them at the apron at the end of my driveway. The mats are very heavy and cost abot $35 each. I hold mine in place using 8" gutter nails pounded into the blacktop at each side . This seems to work well.
Andy

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...t?cm_vc=-10005
Old 10-17-2016, 10:49 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is it possible the wrong gas cylinders are installed on rear deck allowing it to open further than it should?

i second removing FPB, and you wont hit. i bought one for my car, and never put it on for that reason.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:41 PM
BOBOYDDS
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a steep driveway and bought a set of driveway ramps but put them upside down, not the way they show on their site since my curb is different. This would probably work for you too just getting 2 and inverting them. I tried wood but when it rained they would move and eventually broke.
http://www.bridjit.com

Quick Reply: New Car, First Post, Damage, Pictures, and a Question