Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

New Car, First Post, Damage, Pictures, and a Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 03:59 AM
alcanada
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT, the solution to prevent the scraping of your basket handle is to re-attach the gas shocks for your lid to the right hole. As I recall changing out the gas shocks on my 95, there are actually 2 slots where you can pin the shocks to. One is for no basket handle where you can open the truck wider and the other is for the basket handle to prevent it from hitting the wiper. Unforturnatly,I think the slots are at the end where the struts are located deep in the engine bay.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:19 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

^^^ Interesting. I just check on my beater. There are 2 slots, both on the lid and on the car deep in the engine bay, so 4 possible configurations.

Can anyone confirm the exact correct configuration on a basket handle car? Otherwise, I'll experiment a bit and report back.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:25 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mpruden
^^^ Interesting. I just check on my beater. There are 2 slots, both on the lid and on the car deep in the engine bay, so 4 possible configurations.

Can anyone confirm the exact correct configuration on a basket handle car? Otherwise, I'll experiment a bit and report back.
Reporting back, and confirming alcanada 100% here.

There are 2 holes near each point of attachment for the strut, but only one set of holes on the decklid side will work. This is obvious once you try it.

So, if your basket handle is hitting the rear wiper, just switch the mounting points inside the engine compartment to the lower hole.

It works perfectly now.

BTW, my shocks are genuine part number 911.512.331.02. These are the super heavy duty ones specified for the RS and option M471 (fixed spoiler with additional wing). Unsure why the PO's dealership replaced them with these, not with the standard ones.

And yes, I really need a new sound pad.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:38 PM
GTA6T7
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love it! What a simple fix! Thanks for the great advice. I'll check the mounting location as soon as I get home.

Quick Reply: New Car, First Post, Damage, Pictures, and a Question