'96 993 immobilizer & Central locking failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 11:04 PM
pilotincommand
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 993 immobilizer & Central locking failure

Hey folks,

I know a number of threads have been posted on immobilizer issues, but I can't seem to find one that matches mine. If I've simply missed it, I'd appreciate a pointer....

Initial symptoms. Car had been sitting for about a week, unlocked in the garage.

Neither fob would activate central locks or immobilizer. Red light shines on both fobs.
Disconnecting battery for a few minutes and reconnecting resets the system and immobilizer/locks work, but only temporarily (few minutes). Charging the battery overnight had no effect, and I have greater than 12 V across the battery terminals.

Disconnect battery again, and fob works, but notice that door LEDs are double flashing.
Noticed that luggage compartment light is inoperable. Bulb is good, 12v at positive bulb terminal. Dome lights work and come on when hood is raised. Suspecting a faulty ground on bulb wire, but others report that should cause a double flash, not a complete immobilizer/ central locking failure. Now, after disconnecting and reconnecting battery, fob works briefly and then stops with no flashing LEDs on doors.

Questions:

Where does the ground from the luggage compartment light connect to the ground for the dome lights? I want to check continuity but I can find the connector.

Would a faulty luggage compartment ground cause a complete failure of the immobilizer and central locking? Does this imply a failure of the alarm control unit instead of just a faulty ground?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2016, 12:29 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default h

Originally Posted by pilotincommand
Questions:

Where does the ground from the luggage compartment light connect to the ground for the dome lights? I want to check continuity but I can find the connector.

Would a faulty luggage compartment ground cause a complete failure of the immobilizer and central locking? Does this imply a failure of the alarm control unit instead of just a faulty ground?

Thanks!
Ques 1: I dont know.

Ques 2: They are on the same circuit; sounds like a ground fault to me. Alarm ctrl units rarely go bad.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:17 AM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pilotincommand
Hey folks,

I know a number of threads have been posted on immobilizer issues, but I can't seem to find one that matches mine. If I've simply missed it, I'd appreciate a pointer....

Initial symptoms. Car had been sitting for about a week, unlocked in the garage.

Neither fob would activate central locks or immobilizer. Red light shines on both fobs.
Disconnecting battery for a few minutes and reconnecting resets the system and immobilizer/locks work, but only temporarily (few minutes). Charging the battery overnight had no effect, and I have greater than 12 V across the battery terminals.

Disconnect battery again, and fob works, but notice that door LEDs are double flashing.
Noticed that luggage compartment light is inoperable. Bulb is good, 12v at positive bulb terminal. Dome lights work and come on when hood is raised. Suspecting a faulty ground on bulb wire, but others report that should cause a double flash, not a complete immobilizer/ central locking failure. Now, after disconnecting and reconnecting battery, fob works briefly and then stops with no flashing LEDs on doors.

Questions:

Thanks!
From another thread.
Originally Posted by hoggel
Responded to your PM.

41 is a splice in the Passenger Compartment wiring loom.

The ground for the Luggage Compartment Light, and the Inside Lights (not RS) in the auto position, is through the Alarm Control Unit. In the PM I said it was Alarm CU plug II pin 7. The diagram below that I sketched a couple years ago says plug I. The diagram I have in front of me is fuzzy so I can't tell if it is plug I or II. I'll verify when I get home and can look at the diagram in the FRM.

What is not shown in the sketch below is that the door contacts will also turn on the lights through the Alarm CU. The Ignition Lock Light is also grounded through 41 to the Alarm CU.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:42 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,018 Posts

This may help:
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2016, 07:05 PM
pilotincommand
Track Day

Thanks for the responses. I had seen the diagram noting the luggage light meeting up with the door lights at "41", but I was hoping someone could provide a specific location in the passenger compartment to limit disassembly....

That said, I have some new data. Based on the diagram above, I ran a wire from the ground side of the luggage light to pin I/7 on the immobilizer and the light comes on, so that confirms that I've got a ground problem on the luggage light.

Unfortunately completing the ground to the luggage light doesn't fix the immobilizer issue. If I disconnect the battery for 20min or so, the fob works and the doors lock/unlock and the alarm arms/disarms. I still get the double flash on the door LEDs. After an hour or so, the immobilizer stops responding to the key fob and the only way to reset it is to disconnect the battery.

I tried disconnecting the immobilizer from both connectors for an hour or so and that didn't have any affect. Only disconnecting the battery resets the system.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:26 AM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Strange immobilized/interior light problems can be a result of aftermarket alarm system installs. They sometimes tap into the interior lights circuit in the cabin splice area on the outboard side of the rear passenger footwell.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:59 AM
pilotincommand
Track Day

Thanks Hoggel. I'll take another look, but there's no immediate evidence that any modification has been made to the system and there's no aftermarket alarm system in the car now.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:38 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Check out oldman40's post #9 in this thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...gram-help.html
Old 10-17-2016, 01:55 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hoggel
Strange immobilized/interior light problems can be a result of aftermarket alarm system installs. They sometimes tap into the interior lights circuit in the cabin splice area on the outboard side of the rear passenger footwell.
Im with hoggel on this thought, but OEM immobilized/interior lights ARE on the same circuit and a ground fault will indeed result in the same issue. The fact that door top LED lights are double flashing proves there is a system issue that needs to be resolved.

Can the OP provide actual numbers of battery voltage, rather than "over 12 V"?

The inop trunk light is also on the same circuit, and a ground fault there will indeed cause the reported issue.

Last edited by nine9six; 11-15-2016 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:45 PM
pilotincommand
Track Day

I'll double check the battery voltage tonight and post an update.

As for the luggage compartment light, running a new line from the negative terminal of the luggage compartment light to pin I/7 on the immobilizer control unit should resolve the problem, but that's not what I'm seeing.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:29 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Pilotincommand - care to post where you are located? A fellow RLer may have a Porsche scan tool that can communicate with the alarm module to pull codes, check statuses, run drive links, etc. It may help you isolate the fault.

Also, what year is your car? US or RoW?
How long was it working before it started acting up?
Old 10-17-2016, 06:41 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

that diagram just gave me a headache! Dang immobilizer!!!!
Old 10-17-2016, 07:21 PM
pilotincommand
Track Day

Mpruden, I'm located in Rockville, MD and the car is a 96 993 Carrera. US Spec. Bone stock, no mods. Car worked flawlessly for over a year. Only issue was a dead battery in a key fob three months ago

Nine9six: Battery Voltage across the terminals is 12.24 volts.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:38 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Here are some pages that can help you locate items on the above wiring diagram.
Attached Images    
Old 10-18-2016, 05:41 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 271 Posts

Battery voltage is marginal. 12.6 volts is optimum. Have you checked for a good, solid ground at the microswitch on the trunk lock? Are you sure that the microswitch is closing properly every time you close the trunk?

Quick Reply: '96 993 immobilizer & Central locking failure