Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Pete Stout's New Venture

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 08:58 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a feeling we won't be seeing any commentary on IMS issues (or even the M96 in general) in this new publication.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:50 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
I have a feeling we won't be seeing any commentary on IMS issues (or even the M96 in general) in this new publication.
Never say never.

The editorial content and direction of 000 is in its infancy, but I'm still the same editor who ran Excellence between 1997 and 2012, and Panorama between 2012 and summer 2016. In notifying Porsche about the project, I was gratified to hear that both PCNA's press department staff and its new CEO understand that 000's value to readers—and them—is far greater if it's an independent voice rather than an extension of, say, Christophorus (which is and should be a marketing piece).

That said, I have yet to determine how we'll handle some subjects, and my past higher-circulation magazines as well as digital platforms like Rennlist, Facebook, Insta, etc. may be better and more effective tools to discuss issues like this one than a small-circulation "escape" publication. We'll see.

pete
Old 10-12-2016, 01:06 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

I wish Pete and his team great success in their endeavor. Yet, I do wish it there was a periodical that addressed "wrenching and driving" in the vein of writers like Peter Egan, Pat Bedard, Brock Yates, William Jeanes, Henry Manny, Phil Hill, Sam Posey, Nigel Roebuck, etc. I can go online and find any number of high resolution photos of the one-off spooley that hooks to the doodad on virtually any model of any marque. But finding well written stories and articles about the human aspect of driving and working on cars is, sadly, pretty much a thing of the past.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:44 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 246 Posts

While the base subscription may be a strong ask for a quarterly, Pete's confidence in being able to deliver a piece that exceeds expectations (his included) is good enough for me to buy in. I rarely read Pano prior to his appointment, but feel that the work he did to turn it around was masterful and put him in a very unique position to gain access to interesting future content from his considerable resources on both sides of the pond.

I'll look forward to receiving the first issue - good luck Pete.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:21 PM
Disraeli
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Ditto.

FWIW regarding fanatics, I received two stone guards from Suncoast ($150) today shipped flat and arrived like accordions as well as new emblems all the way around ($180) marked as delivered that never arrived at all.

That's two pieces of clear vinyl and 20 grams of plastic for $330 and instead of being happy for the opportunity to return this stuff, I walked around my living room raging at H. Matthew for messing up my order.

Of course I'm a subscriber...
Old 10-12-2016, 11:27 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts
Default new subscribers

Perhaps those of the mindset that these upcoming subscriptions are must haves, are also going to spring for the hardcover 1k "exclusive" versions- before they're all spoken for.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:07 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by fsa
Perhaps those of the mindset that these upcoming subscriptions are must haves, are also going to spring for the hardcover 1k "exclusive" versions- before they're all spoken for.
The crew over in the GT3/etc forum are trying to buy six at at a crack...too funny.

In. No hardcover however...I've let go/displaced more collectible stuff than I can remember.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:29 AM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts
Default from the GT3 Forum

Maybe PTS for the cover could add some value, possibly even a wait list?
Old 10-13-2016, 12:43 AM
Disraeli
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fsa
Maybe PTS for the cover could add some value, possibly even a wait list?
Dude seriously, you have to be an engineer. Am I right?
Old 10-13-2016, 12:56 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

value is in the eyes of the beholder.
some pays $250
others pay $999
nuts pay for several $999 subscriptions
whatever makes you happy ;-)
Old 10-13-2016, 02:44 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Most magazines get most of their money from the advertisers and some from the subscribers.

It apppears this business model merely upends that, whereby the lion's share of the cost is placed onto the subscriber as opposed to advertising fees.

Will it work? Depends on how much it costs to produce, and how many people they can convince that spending $250 for 4 issues is worthwhile.

Simple as that

a decade or more ago I was an original subscriber to Asphalt Magazine, a road bike publication from Manhattan Beach CA that followed the same model.
They charged ~ $40 an issue with minimal advert's.
Sadly, they folded after 6 issues.
Must not have been charging enough............................

Their production values were likely not nearly to the bar that 000 is shooting for.

Will I subscribe?

Probably, but not at the 999 level.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:49 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen

Will I subscribe?

Probably, but not at the 999 level.
OK, will subscribe if you promise to print the Nor Cal Excellence Test Route in one of the editions...............................................
Old 10-13-2016, 03:06 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurburger
While the base subscription may be a strong ask for a quarterly, Pete's confidence in being able to deliver a piece that exceeds expectations (his included) is good enough for me to buy in. I rarely read Pano prior to his appointment, but feel that the work he did to turn it around was masterful and put him in a very unique position to gain access to interesting future content from his considerable resources on both sides of the pond.

^This^
I'll add that Excellence turned into recycled advertising crap after he left. Pano is now going down the road of yet another article about a garage queen 944.
Pete knows how to make a magazine that holds my interest cover to cover.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:09 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Disraeli
Dude seriously, you have to be an engineer. Am I right?
and you would be wrong!
Old 10-14-2016, 11:01 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Pano is now going down the road of yet another article about a garage queen 944.
Pete knows how to make a magazine that holds my interest cover to cover.
Here's one of 000's feature cars: A 924....in a garage.

Maybe it's not too late to cancel your subscription.

Quick Reply: Pete Stout's New Venture