993 Forum 1995-1998

Pete Stout's New Venture

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 03:48 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
...I'll buy $50 worth of drugs and stare at Excellence until "form follows function".
hahaha!
Old 10-11-2016, 05:45 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 734 Likes on 522 Posts

No! People are wealthy because they are Frugal.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:49 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is Christophorus magazine still a thing?
Old 10-11-2016, 06:34 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Pete speaks about what's been going on over here in an OT thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...-magazine.html

As far as "cost?" We'll leave that to the market to decide, won't we? My interest in Porsche and cars is at a lifetime low now, so here it's not at all about the subscription price.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:07 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander
Yes. I have a buddy (and former assistant) who did a recent shoot for them.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:45 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander
I get it for free...it's basically tossed after the morning coffee. No in depth articles of interest.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:01 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
No! People are wealthy because they are Frugal.
Good point. However, not sure that explains why wealthy people buy Porsches? I think it comes down to value, whether someone is wealthy or not. That's a big reason the 993 sold so well when it was new—it presented a good value in the eyes of those who could afford it. Few of them needed a 993.

Just as I'm super thankful for those who supported 000 today, I fully understand the critics. I think I'd still be in their camp if I was on the outside, and half of me was as we played through the various business models. To be sure, 000 isn't going to be for everyone—and that's okay. We are not pursuing the usual high-circulation model, nor are we pursuing the conventional ad-driven model in which 50% to 65% of the magazine is paid advertising. The other thing I had to step back on and really think about is value from a different perspective. What do I pay for one performance tire for my Porsche, one concert, or one nice dinner out? How many hours of enjoyment do I derive from those expenditures? Are they memory-making, or something physical I can enjoy again?

Obviously, we all place differing valuations on the things we choose to buy or spend money on. That's as it should be.

We just wanted to see if there were some folks who might like a Porsche magazine the way we envisioned it. We didn't know what to expect, but we decided to try it. Well, it's been a wild day. I wasn't sure whether to expect crickets or what—but we've been blown away by the response and are super, super thankful. Now it's on us to deliver quality...

Best,

pete
Old 10-11-2016, 08:16 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Good point. However, not sure that explains why wealthy people buy Porsches? I think it comes down to value, whether someone is wealthy or not. That's a big reason the 993 sold so well when it was new—it presented a good value in the eyes of those who could afford it. Few of them needed a 993.

Just as I'm super thankful for those who supported 000 today, I fully understand the critics. I think I'd still be in their camp if I was on the outside, and half of me was as we played through the various business models. To be sure, 000 isn't going to be for everyone—and that's okay. We are not pursuing the usual high-circulation model, nor are we pursuing the conventional ad-driven model in which 50% to 65% of the magazine is paid advertising. The other thing I had to step back on and really think about is value from a different perspective. What do I pay for one performance tire for my Porsche, one concert, or one nice dinner out? How many hours of enjoyment do I derive from those expenditures? Are they memory-making, or something physical I can enjoy again?

Obviously, we all place differing valuations on the things we choose to buy or spend money on. That's as it should be.

We just wanted to see if there were some folks who might like a Porsche magazine the way we envisioned it. We didn't know what to expect, but we decided to try it. Well, it's been a wild day. I wasn't sure whether to expect crickets or what—but we've been blown away by the response and are super, super thankful. Now it's on us to deliver quality...

Best,

pete
Congratulations on creating something. For all of us who have done the same, we know that not everyone gets our vision - but passion and effort have a funny way of creating 'luck'
Old 10-11-2016, 08:23 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Most magazines get most of their money from the advertisers and some from the subscribers.

It apppears this business model merely upends that, whereby the lion's share of the cost is placed onto the subscriber as opposed to advertising fees.

Will it work? Depends on how much it costs to produce, and how many people they can convince that spending $250 for 4 issues is worthwhile.

Simple as that
Old 10-11-2016, 08:33 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by stout

Best,

pete
Reasonable response. I still find the pricing out of this world and couldn't see what articles could create value at this pricing, but hey give it a shot. I'm not a typical porsche owner so maybe others see value there
Old 10-11-2016, 09:47 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Very eloquently stated, Mr. Pete.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:55 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Reasonable response. I still find the pricing out of this world and couldn't see what articles could create value at this pricing, but hey give it a shot. I'm not a typical porsche owner so maybe others see value there
To be sure, I found the price just to print and mail it out of this world, too. Then I saw what's possible...

Any way, no harm no foul—I appreciate your honest feedback!
Old 10-11-2016, 10:03 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As a rare book collector (along with scattered subcategories of paper ephemera), I've no intrinsic problem with the pricing, so long as it's a volume that will hold interest 3, 5, and 20 years from now.

Christophorus, in my very limited experience is soporific.
Excellence in my non-subscribing experience is generally good.
Used to get Panorama back in my 964/993 days; not after 2000 or so.

If the volume feels like quality, and has both articles and imagery that aren't dated overnight, it'll work.
My totally personal bias: I lose interest in articles about $900,000 Porsches, because for all but the very fewest of us: they're unattainable. A unique long hood; a carefully restored Porsche done not by a high end shop necessarily, but by a devoted owner and devotee; a Porsche owned by the same family for 50 years; these are things that one could actually imagine attaining. And at least for me, that generates a personal attachment to an article, a vehicle, or an idea---the "Hey, I could maybe do that and have one like his!" aspect is what often brings me back to reading an article or reviewing a photoshoot.

Of course, I'll read and review an article about yet another Singer, or a restored pre-A 356 ten times over, and I most certainly will NEVER be in the buyer's market for either one! Out of my pay grade. So, there goes your logical analysis for you, right out the window.

Good luck with your artistic venture, and I will give it the serious consideration it merits.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:09 PM
Disraeli
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Most magazines get most of their money from the advertisers and some from the subscribers.

It apppears this business model merely upends that, whereby the lion's share of the cost is placed onto the subscriber as opposed to advertising fees.

Will it work? Depends on how much it costs to produce, and how many people they can convince that spending $250 for 4 issues is worthwhile.

Simple as that
Of course it'll work. I pay $55/qtr for the Economist for their insight + no ads, not because what they report on is exclusive. If I want to know what's going on in the world I can turn on CNN or buy Car & Driver (best toilet mag ITW btw) but that's just getting from point A to point B in your Prius.

It's weird to me that it's even a topic in a forum where fanatical should be spelled w/ a capital F. Some of you guys have like 5,000 pictures of your cars.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:21 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's weird to me that it's even a topic in a forum where fanatical should be spelled w/ a capital F. Some of you guys have like 5,000 pictures of your cars.
So? Isn't that…totally normal? Can we help it if some people don't love their automobiles, or have vehicles worthy of that level of adoration?

Someone must care for the Precioussss….yesss, it must be worshipped and defended against its enemies. Can't…let…unbelievers touch…the Preciousssss….

Quick Reply: Pete Stout's New Venture