Elephant Sport Bushings - Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 06:52 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
Thanks Bill. Yes, I understood from reading your previous comments in other threads that RS uses same bushings as stock on toe and camber arms. From your statements earlier in the thread it sounds like its worthwhile to use Elephant sport bushings on the toe arm, so I was wondering if its worth using sport bushings on the camber arm as well. Sounds like you are recommending leaving the camber arm bushings at stock hardness?

Yes this is a spirited street use car.
Probably, I never used that, but it is a step toward the full mono-ball setup that I do have.

full mono-ball is as much better than the RS as the RS is better than stock.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:45 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

I just completed a similar rounds of upgrades. On the front you really only need to replace the leading A arm bushing if going OEM or RS. I went with Walrod Poly.

The rear you only need to do the trailing A arm bushing and kinematic toe. I used ERP RS. The stock camber and toe already have bushing that are more robust than RS. See attached pic.

I prefer a solid toe link in the rear over stock setup. Slight downgrade in NVH but nothing really worth mentioning. I like the Elephant Racing design (Rennline too) over Tarret.

Lastly the solid sub frame mounts do wonders for the rear with almost no downside. Pretty easy and cheap to do.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Rear Control Arm Bushings.pdf (38.1 KB, 155 views)
Old 10-27-2016, 01:11 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarinS4
I just completed a similar rounds of upgrades. On the front you really only need to replace the leading A arm bushing if going OEM or RS. I went with Walrod Poly.

The rear you only need to do the trailing A arm bushing and kinematic toe. I used ERP RS. The stock camber and toe already have bushing that are more robust than RS. See attached pic.

I prefer a solid toe link in the rear over stock setup. Slight downgrade in NVH but nothing really worth mentioning. I like the Elephant Racing design (Rennline too) over Tarret.

Lastly the solid sub frame mounts do wonders for the rear with almost no downside. Pretty easy and cheap to do.
It's correct that the RS only has stiffer bushes on the trailing leg of the rear A-arm and on the KT arm, the others are the same as on a standard 993

for track use yes, most street users won't be too happy, it really increases the abrupt responses from the back to road irregularities, I haven't seen an Elephant mono-ball toe link, they do have nice locks. There is no functional difference between the Tarett and Rennline toe links, why do you think one is better than the other?

On the front you really only need to replace the leading A arm bushing if going OEM or RS. I went with Walrod Poly.
I suppose you could only replace the leading leg of the front A-arm, but if you intended to emulate an RS you would only replace the trailing leg bush w/ a stiffer rubber one. Even better control of the front suspension derives from replacing both legs of the A-arms w/ something w/ less give, best is mono-ball as there is no play and no stiction, poly is the cheap way if you don't mind potential wear and noise issues, sport rubber is what the factory chose for durability and general sporting use.

For a lowered car)below RS) yes, this mod moves the entire rear suspension up into the chassis and corrects some rear bump steer issues on such cars.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:24 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

"Lastly the solid sub frame mounts do wonders for the rear with almost no downside. Pretty easy and cheap to do".

"For a lowered car)below RS) yes, this mod moves the entire rear suspension up into the chassis and corrects some rear bump steer issues on such cars".

Last edited by user 723923490; 10-27-2016 at 01:32 PM. Reason: add quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:26 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AllanH
"Lastly the solid sub frame mounts do wonders for the rear with almost no downside. Pretty easy and cheap to do".

"For a lowered car)below RS) yes, this mod moves the entire rear suspension up into the chassis and corrects some rear bump steer issues on such cars".
Sure, every time any wheel goes up or down there is an associated toe change, that's what bump steer is. It is not confined to the front though most worry about it there, Possibly because it's felt in the steering wheel as well as the chassis dynamics. In back it's just felt in the chassis dynamics.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:52 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
There is no functional difference between the Tarett and Rennline toe links, why do you think one is better than the other?
It's not that I think one is "better" than the other I just prefer the cleaner design of the Elephant Racing version. Rennline's looks to be made by them as well.

I suppose you could only replace the leading leg of the front A-arm, but if you intended to emulate an RS you would only replace the trailing leg bush w/ a stiffer rubber one. Even better control of the front suspension derives from replacing both legs of the A-arms w/ something w/ less give, best is mono-ball as there is no play and no stiction, poly is the cheap way if you don't mind potential wear and noise issues, sport rubber is what the factory chose for durability and general sporting use.
I know the front A arm is a touchy subject for most. I have my opinions based on certain beliefs and experiences. I suggested front only based on what seems to have the most all the play. The rear most bushing does not seem to wear in the same manner. I don't like the ERP bushing for that and would take the factory one (or better yet factory RS) over a ERP there.

I think the poly is the best material for the front lower A arms. Without starting a major debate I will explain why. The Poly eliminates the kinematic toe and offer the best front/rear support with great cushioning during braking. The factory style bushing move back and forth to much for my liking and the monoballs have no cushion at all. Sure proper fitment is key to minimize stiction and it does require lube from time to time but IMHO the upside is well worth the downsides.

For a lowered car)below RS) yes, this mod moves the entire rear suspension up into the chassis and corrects some rear bump steer issues on such cars.
I agree it's best for a lowered car. I should have prefaced my comments with that.

Bill thanks again for your contributions here. They played a BIG role in helping me sort through my suspension.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:55 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

What do you think about RS where you can get it in the rear and ERP sport for the rest of the bushings (including subframe)? That way all bushings are 25% stiffer than stock 993 and probably last a bit longer too, due to material density.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:33 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarinS4

I know the front A arm is a touchy subject for most. I have my opinions based on certain beliefs and experiences. I suggested front only based on what seems to have the most all the play. The rear most bushing does not seem to wear in the same manner. I don't like the ERP bushing for that and would take the factory one (or better yet factory RS) over a ERP there.

I think the poly is the best material for the front lower A arms. Without starting a major debate I will explain why. The Poly eliminates the kinematic toe and offer the best front/rear support with great cushioning during braking. The factory style bushing move back and forth to much for my liking and the monoballs have no cushion at all. Sure proper fitment is key to minimize stiction and it does require lube from time to time but IMHO the upside is well worth the downsides.

I agree it's best for a lowered car. I should have prefaced my comments with that.

Bill thanks again for your contributions here. They played a BIG role in helping me sort through my suspension.
By design the front A-arm has a softer bush on the leading leg of the arm, this is intended to insulate the effects of road irregularities from the driver. This is so on both standard and RS as they both use the same bush on the leading leg, the RS has a stiffer bush on the trailing leg only. To emulate an RS steering you need to stiffen the trailing leg, to go a step further you need to do both legs. Of course the Rs also has a stiffer tierod bush and you can change to that as the bush is on the inner part of the tierod or again go a step further and use the RSR mono-ball inner.

I'm confused by ERP are you referencing to Elephant Racing or E.R.P. Supension, 2 different companies

Elephant Racing sells both regular and sport rubber bushes for either leg of the front A-arm, these are the same as used oe.

There is no KT on the front at least not in the sense that there is KT in the back. There is a toe change w/ suspension travel, but in front this is solely a function of geometry not bushes.

least deflection most precision, least stiction is mono-ball
poly is a close next in terms of deflection and precision but is at the mercy of lubrication, w/o lube the poly wears and makes noise and adds stiction
sport rubber is next
regular rubber last
Old 10-29-2016, 01:20 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

I'm confused by ERP are you referencing to Elephant Racing or E.R.P. Supension, 2 different companies

I understand that. I refered to the appropriate companies on items previously mentioned.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:37 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In a 993 the rear A-arm leading leg has a sealed mono-ball, can't get stiffer than that. They do get loosey goosey w/ age.

Buy new RS rear A-arms, this is the best way to get new outer ball joint new leading mono-ball joint and new stiffer rubber bush for the trailing leg. Only the KT arm needs to have a stiffer bush, best to buy 2x RS KT arms to accomplish that, again you get new outer ball joints and new stiffer rubber inners.

The other arms are the same on RS and normal, so replace any that are worn, the one that goes first is the toe arms, for track use mono-***** on these for street use you can fit stiffer rubber here too, though it's not absolutely necessary stiffer here does add precision.

complementary front will be stiffer rubber on at least the trailing A-arm leg, both leading and trailing is a bit more precise
Great guidance Bill, thank you. I'm undertaking this refresh right now so are you able to help identify the Porsche SKU# for the RS A Arms (I need 2 one each side?) and also 2 (one each side?) for the KT arms so I can order those? Any input on best online source for price?

I will be going Elephant Sport hardness everywhere else but am wondering about how about the upper front link? that would be the camber adjuster link. do you know if the RS is stiffer rubber? IF so, lets get that as well. then, your done.

if not, i guess we can use elephant harder rubber on those.....thanks Jordan
Old 11-23-2016, 05:52 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
Great guidance Bill, thank you. I'm undertaking this refresh right now so are you able to help identify the Porsche SKU# for the RS A Arms (I need 2 one each side?) and also 2 (one each side?) for the KT arms so I can order those? Any input on best online source for price?

I will be going Elephant Sport hardness everywhere else but am wondering about how about the upper front link? that would be the camber adjuster link. do you know if the RS is stiffer rubber? IF so, lets get that as well. then, your done.

if not, i guess we can use elephant harder rubber on those.....thanks Jordan
These are the RS parts
93.331.045.80 Kinematic Control Arm x2 RS, top rear
993.331.041.81 A arm /L RS RS
993.331.042.81 A arm /R RS RS
993.331.217.80 Eccentric screw x2 top forward inner camber
993.331.219.80 Eccentric washer x2 top forward inner camber

This is the stock camber arm and also used on the RS, this one doesn't use stiffer rubber
993.331.047.03 x2 top forward camber

When I used the RS parts the above is what I had w/ Tarret mono-ball toe links + locks

Some guys are going a step further and changing the cambers link to the stiffer rubber bush too. I see that as a positive step

going from stock to full RS was a huge positive step and then going from RS to full RSR mono-***** was as big a positive step, I see the extra sport bush on the camber links(w/ RS KT and A) w/ either mono-ball or sport rubber toe links as in between RS and RSR
Old 11-23-2016, 07:45 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome Bill - Thank you!
Old 11-24-2016, 07:49 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Bill, why do you include the eccentric washers and screws in your part list? Are these different than the RS part? Or do you recommend replacing them as a matter of course?
Old 11-26-2016, 09:41 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
Bill, why do you include the eccentric washers and screws in your part list? Are these different than the RS part? Or do you recommend replacing them as a matter of course?
When I did mine I replaced all the hardware as a matter of course

There is a 2mm increase in the travel provided by the RS camber adjuster compared to the standard one. Camber will still be limited to A little less than ~-2.8° which is fine for all street and most track use. To get more you have to go to turnbuckle arms.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:38 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Ok that leads me to a couple other questions:
1) The eccentrics you list above are stock or RS?
2) Why just the camber eccentrics, rather than listing all the arm eccentrics?

Quick Reply: Elephant Sport Bushings - Rear Suspension