Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Working on my car and my looooong Quickjack story.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 11:37 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My issue isn't inherent lack-of-safety, it's more about using the proper tool for the job. If I'm doing something substantial, I'm bothering to go old fashioned with jack + stands. (Figuring lift is unavailable.)

This was meant to be a track accessory, so that's what I use it for--a pretty efficient way to get the car in the air in the paddock for tire service and cursory inspections after a session.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:25 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Now that is what I call outstanding customer service by Pellican and especially BendPak. I had a 4 post BendPak in my last garage and will be installing a scissor lift into the floor of my new garage when it comes time to remodel my garage. I will buy another BendPak just because they support their products and really make a terrific lift. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:12 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by fossilfuel
I left my car up all weekend in the lock position and even disconnected the hydraulics. At that point it was simply a pair of mechanical ramps in the air.

When it is time to move up or down, connect the hoses (if needed) and then raise the ramps a bit and release the lock arms and lower.

-mark
Have you tried to reconnect the hydraulics? Last time I disconnected them with the jack up, it took a huge amount of force to reconnect. The safety locks were on, but the hydraulics seemed to still be under pressure. I finally got the connectors back together, but I lost some fluid. Now I don't disconnect with a car on the lift.

My SC is on my 5000XLS now. Almost had the same problem with the frame hitting the tires, but the SC lift points are further inboard and I was able to barely get enough clearance.

Although I have a garage, it is under the house with very low clearance due to an I-beam down the middle. Thought about a MaxJax, but couldn't get enough lift to take full advantage of it. I can also easily move the QuickJack into the driveway. To me that is a big advantage over even a scissor lift. I've already had the lift under the CRV, RAV4, WRX, and Crosstrek.

Overall I'm really happy with it. Only thing I am not comfortable doing is stacking the rubber blocks. They start leaning over on me. If I want extra height, I slip a couple of 2x12 boards underneath, but that is really unwieldy. I need to figure out how to get the boards on some type of retractable rollers.

Mark
Old 10-12-2016, 05:55 PM
fossilfuel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mark,

On mine, the hydraulics came on and off the same whether the QJ was up or down. I did not connect or disconnect 'under load'---that is, while the car was up, I lowered the rams a little to the lock arm tab position so the weight of the car was on the lock arms (sturdy) not the hydraulic rams. Also, I read that somewhere along the line of production they went to the quick-release, non leaking connectors that I have (which are cool). They take a bit of a push to click onto the nipples, but not un-reasonable amount. I wonder if you have the same connectors? Below are pictures. (ps, I wipe the face of the connectors clean before attaching :-)

On the question of stability, the comments above got me thinking of QJ vs jack stands. So I pulled out my Sears/Craftsman 2.25 ton jack stands for comparison. I am not an engineer, but it would seem that side-to-side, the QJ has a little bit WIDER footprint at the ground than the base of the Jackstand and would therefore be as solid in sideways tip over. And front-to-back, obviously the QJ won't fall forward or back (with safety bars down).

I know it appears vulnerable to side energy knocking it over, but I think that is an optical illusion because they are so much longer than they are wide---so they "look" like they could be knocked over sideways. But in reality, they seem equal and better than jack stands both side-to-side and back-to-front energy trying to knock the car down.

I can say now after having my car up for 4 days straight that they feel as solid up as any jack stands i have used. See pics.
Attached Images      
Old 10-12-2016, 11:48 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Thanks. Yes, I have the same connectors. I don't know what the problem was when I had trouble reconnecting. I did have the weight on the safeties, so there shouldn't have been a load on the hydraulics. It only happened once, but after barely being able to get the connectors back together, I'm reluctant to try that again. It would have been really hard to get the car down off the QuickJacks using a regular jack.

BTW, I use crutch tips that I bought at Ace Hardware to protect the connectors when they are apart. The 1-1/8-inch size fit snugly on the female fittings, and the 7/8-inch fit on the male fittings. They work great protecting the male fittings on the hoses that are connected to the hydraulic cylinders, since they tend to drag on the ground when you move the QuickJack around. They come in 4-packs for about $3.

The following users liked this post:
damage98MO (09-20-2023)
Old 10-13-2016, 12:43 PM
fossilfuel
Instructor

Mark----great idea on the crutch tips! I'd would never have thought of that!

I just got the prototype Porsche-5000's home and am about to bust them out of the boxes. Stay tuned.

-mark (aka fossilfuel)
Old 10-14-2016, 04:33 PM
fossilfuel
Instructor

Part 3 Conclusion:

I was able to get the '5000 Porsche edition' prototype to my house, unboxed and set up yesterday.

I now have Quickjacks, big boxes, hoses, rubber blocks, etc. all over the place...I am swimming in this stuff :-)

Cutting to the chase, the new, slightly shorter 5000 prototype worked great on my 993.

The ramps fit easily between the wheelbase of the car. You have to position the ramps back close to the rear tires. The placement of the rubber blocks is now a lot easier than it was on the 3500.

With the 3500 I had to get the ramp and block positioning EXACTLY right so the blocks would line up with the lifting points with no room for error. This required micro-adjustments in ramp placement...so I was going back and fourth, front to back to get it set. Kinda defeated the "quick" part of Quickjack.

With the new 5000 version, there is a lot of room especially in the front "trough" for block placement. So you can "quickly" place the ramps just about touching the rear tires and easily position the rubber blocks....without a bunch of micro adjustments back and fourth. Then hit the "up" button and like magic, your car is in the air!

QJ has also upgraded the little wheels from hard plastic to softer urethane ones. These are at the edge of the ramps and helpful if you have to move the ramps from place to place....sort of like picking a ramp up from one end and moving it like a hand-truck. The wheels are great on flat concrete. A bit bumpy on asphalt, but still WAY better than dragging the ramps around w/o wheels or lifting them (the 5000's are heavy, but super sturdy!) In my case, the ramps will just live under my car, pushed close together when not in use.

So all in all, I am happy and have achieved what I was hoping for in the first place: an effective way to quickly lift my car to service my suspension, and get under it for work and service. I did my spark plugs last weekend (requires getting under the car) and can now look forward to my suspension refresh! YAY!

I don't know how soon the revised 5000's will be in production, but I am sure Jeff at Ranger will let me know and I'll pass it on.

Hit me with any questions.

Thanks,

-mark

Ps....ignore the ATF on the ground. This was just from not tightening the fittings well enough on the prototype. My hoses that I set up are dry as a bone.
Attached Images        
Old 10-14-2016, 07:12 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

Question: If doing an oil change, the rocker panel cover must come off before jacking...But will you be able to get an oil drain pan in place to catch the oil?
Old 10-18-2016, 06:49 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Thank you everyone for the kind words. We always do our best to make sure all of your needs are met and addressed accordingly. The QuickJack really is a great, versatile product that we're proud to carry. If anyone is looking for quality jack-stands; we're currently having a special of 10% off the ESCO Flat Top Jack Stand with Rubber Pad; which have a 6,000 lb limit, until the end of the month.

-Dmitry
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-18-2016, 10:14 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm interested in this setup. Curious when QJ will produce the 993 version.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:08 PM
fossilfuel
Instructor

Gang,

I heard from Jeff at Ranger. Here is what he wrote me:

"Drawings are now done. We will get started working on production run now.

Feel free to share the attached illustration with “the community”.

Rather than offering two different models, we will be converting all 5K and 7K models to this new configuration."

He believes they will be in production and ready to ship in about 60-90 days... So *maybe* by Christmas or for sure by Valentine's day...so start planting those gift seeds :-)

-mark
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2016, 12:14 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Question: If doing an oil change, the rocker panel cover must come off before jacking...But will you be able to get an oil drain pan in place to catch the oil?
Anybody know?
Old 10-20-2016, 01:39 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Want this! Thanks for the writeup and really excited to see this product available to us.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:06 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Revised price point?
Old 10-20-2016, 04:37 PM
fossilfuel
Instructor

No word on pricing (revised or not). I did hint to Jeff at Ranger/Bendpack that us Rennlist folks appreciate group-buy opportunities :-)

Bobby P,

I have not changed the oil in my car yet. Next time I lift it on the QJ I will look at access to the filters and drain(s) and report back. I suspect one of these flexy drain things could work....

From the rennlist how-to:https://rennlist.com/how-tos/a/porsc...our-oil-377033
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Working on my car and my looooong Quickjack story.