Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Current plan:
- Replace rack bushings with PU
- Replace front control arm balljoint
- Lower front ~20mm

Align, drive and see how it feels.

If good, I'll leave the rear alone, otherwise I'll replace all arms in the rear along with sub-frame bushings.

I'll report back as I make each change since it may help others in the future.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:32 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

Another inexpensive upgrade is poly sway bar bushings.
Mine were toast at lower miles than your car.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:35 PM
lambotex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my turbo had a similar issue and once I got ride height dead on it fixed it.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:35 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

I have swaybar bushings and drop links on my list for the future, but I don't think that's what's contributing specifically to this problem. Front drop link bushings are definitely soft, so if anyone thinks that could contribute I'll move their replacement up and do it sooner.

Swaybar bushings look ok visually but I figure I'll eventually replace them all based on miles and age alone.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:36 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lambotex
What ride height did you end up with? Did you do it yourself?

I'm in Montana so I have to be pretty self-sufficient .
Old 10-04-2016, 02:42 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Every change needs to be followed up with an alignment check.. Unless you have scales and strings, that approach is going to get expensive pretty quick...

Its really pretty simple though... From what you describe, its a toe issue...

1) Worn bushings - You can check without having to replace. If they are firm (no slop), there is no reason to replace. If you just want to update bushings due to age/preventative go ahead and do them all at once, don't piece-meal it.

2) Front toe - From the specs, it looks good. But you may want to measure yourself just to be sure.. Total toe is all you care about. Measure the distance from tire to tire.. Subtract the front edge distance from the rear.

3) Rear toe - Same as front

4) Rear caster (kinematic toe) - Although it sounds like your shop has the right tools and should know how to use them... This is a very common problem... My money is here... I would talk with the shop owner and make sure he didn't delegate this critical task to one of his lackeys..
Old 10-04-2016, 02:49 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

I figured I'd put together the rack bushings, front ball joint and height adjust into one alignment check. I don't believe swaybar bushings and drop links require alignment, correct?

1) Regarding bushings, I've done the front of the car already, so that's taken care of. If I do the rear, I'll do them all at once and then do another alignment. Probably in the Spring, so I'll space it out a bit.

2 and 3) Good idea, I'll try that!

4) He definitely did it himself, he's the only one that he trusts to do it right. He's pretty well regarded around here as the guy to go to for 911/993 alignments. He's also the only guy, so I don't have any other options short of driving to Salt Lake, Spokane or Seattle. The good news is that the car felt better overall after the alignment, so I think he did a good job.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:13 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Rake can be measured on the rocker (door sill) and/or center tunnel with a digital level.

Your KT setting sounds fine.

You actually want a little asymmetry in caster for a street car, largely to allow the car to 'climb' up the crown when driving on the right side of the road. Allows the car to go 'straight' on that surface. Also used to tune the car for ease of turning on specific race tracks (i.e. Limerock).

As others have mentioned, lowering the front is going to require a re-do of at least front alignment, primarily toe.

If your rake really is 0 deg or less then I suspect at high speeds more air is getting under the front of the car and causing float or wander.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:19 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Makes sense on the caster, that's what the alignment guy said as well.

Rake adjustment sounds promising. I'll report back after I make my next set of changes (rake, rack bushings, ball joint).

Thanks everyone for your help - what a great group!
Old 10-04-2016, 04:07 PM
lambotex
Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambotex View Post
What ride height did you end up with? Did you do it yourself?

I'm in Montana so I have to be pretty self-sufficient .

I replaced tie rods, front bushings, ball joints and the car has PSS9 on it. We did three different alignments and the one that worked best was with the ride height is set to RS +5mm.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:25 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Got it, thanks. I'm going to stick with RoW M030 height for now. Did you use stock alignment settings?

Which ball joints did you replace?
Old 10-04-2016, 05:50 PM
lambotex
Instructor

the front ball joints. As close to stock as you can get on a car that is lowered.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:56 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

wheel bearings
bent wheel
shocks
ball joints
tire pressures, I use 33/35 cold on the street
possibly other tire issues some just don't track well

your kt should not be maxed and the side to side can't be checked by looking at the eccentrics, the gauge reading tells the story, w/ 0 rear caster the wheels are moved to front of the wheel well, this results in little to no toe change w/ suspension travel( a slow rear), w/ maxed kt the wheels move all the way back close to the mufflers, the more so the more toe change w/ a given amount of wheel travel(a fast rear) the fast rear makes he car twitchey and hard to control

at highway speeds it's doubtful that aero effects are entering the picture
Old 10-04-2016, 06:40 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
Got it, thanks. I'm going to stick with RoW M030 height for now. Did you use stock alignment settings?

Which ball joints did you replace?
Also remember, factory alignment settings, are not necessarily the best for handling. They're meant to encompass the broadest amount of drivers, with the least amount of surprises (which also, may mean numb response), and reduce tire wear. Determine what your driving level is, use for car, and what you deem as acceptable tire wear (rear). Get all original rubber replaced, then get it set up, and go enjoy.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:03 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
wheel bearings
bent wheel
shocks
ball joints
tire pressures, I use 33/35 cold on the street
possibly other tire issues some just don't track well

your kt should not be maxed and the side to side can't be checked by looking at the eccentrics, the gauge reading tells the story, w/ 0 rear caster the wheels are moved to front of the wheel well, this results in little to no toe change w/ suspension travel( a slow rear), w/ maxed kt the wheels move all the way back close to the mufflers, the more so the more toe change w/ a given amount of wheel travel(a fast rear) the fast rear makes he car twitchey and hard to control

at highway speeds it's doubtful that aero effects are entering the picture
Good description, thanks. Alignment guy said it was maxed out but only on one side, he brought it back in to match the other side, ensured they were even side to side and within range on his gauge. Given that the back end feels very well behaved, and it was recently adjusted, I'm thinking the KT is probably OK.

I'm currently running 34/38 so I'm close to what you are using. I'll try 33/35 next.

Quick Reply: Loose front end