993 Forum 1995-1998

Cruise control DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 09:10 AM
YellowDieselGolf
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Cruise control DIY?

I'm thinking about adding cruise control to my car. My google-foo is normally world-class, but I haven't been able to find a walk through.

Does anyone know of a good DIY thread or instructions?
Old 09-19-2016, 09:20 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,018 Posts

This is a rather unique request and may have not been done before, Seems it will require the throttle cable controller, a new steering wheel turn signal stalk assembly and assumes the wiring harness is present in your vehicle. Not sure if it uses a separate controller although I don't see why it would be present as the DME has all the elements to control things. From an aftermarket perspective I suspect some sort of system is available for retrofitting but it may not be a very elegant install.

Although I wish you luck I suspect you may not get much traction in moving forward with this for cost and complexity reasons.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:28 AM
YellowDieselGolf
Instructor

From what I understand: I'll need the stalk assembly, servo motor and the controller box. Possibly a switch for the clutch pedal too. Everything I've read seems to indicate that the wiring is already there. I probably should do a recce before I buy parts.

I'm sure an aftermarket system would be cheaper, easier and more reliable (brand new parts vs ebay/wreckers) but I was hoping to go OEM.

Thanks for your thoughts pp000830!
Old 09-19-2016, 10:33 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I would advise against a used stalk assembly as most are worn. If you do I would hose it out with CRC electronic parts cleaner and relube it lightly with plastic compatible grease. On many the return release lever for the turn stalk is worn or needs re-lubricating to work properly. I see no reason why a used controller is not a good way to go. I would clean all the connectors with electronic parts cleaner before plugging things in as they have a lot of years of environmental exposure on them to cause surface corrosion.

When you are done it would make a great DIY posting for the group.
Best of luck,
Andy
Old 09-21-2016, 09:47 AM
YellowDieselGolf
Instructor

Thanks again for your thoughts.

For anyone looking to add this later, my research says that the following* parts are req'd.

911 617 227 00 - controller
993 613 353 00 - stalk
944 617 021 00 - servo (or 91161704101 ?)
993 110 198 1R - Bracket for servo
911 612 157 12 or 911 612 157 02 ? ? ? wiring harness?

* = not responsible if I've got the wrong numbers :P

I've just checked under the seats and in the engine bay for the wiring. No luck. Can't find anything. So I guess that means the project is on hold.

Last edited by YellowDieselGolf; 10-10-2016 at 07:31 AM. Reason: added more #'s and diagram.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:45 PM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone knows how to trouble shoot one, mine never worked
Old 09-21-2016, 05:34 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I deleted the CC from my car. If you need any parts, feel free to send me a PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:31 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by YellowDieselGolf

I've just checked under the seats and in the engine bay for the wiring. No luck. Can't find anything. So I guess that means the project is on hold.

Hi,
Send me an email at andrew.hess@differentlight.biz
and I will reply with the wiring diagrams involved.
The all you will need is the appropriate pigtail ends if they truly are not present. I am shocked that the car is not pre-wired for this. I think you may have just missed them. The one on the steering column is stuffed in the dash and can only be seen if you remove the steering column covers that cover the signal stalk switch assembly. The others may be tied up a good distance from where the module(s) is normally located.

Best of luck,
Andy
Old 10-09-2016, 05:51 AM
YellowDieselGolf
Instructor

Originally Posted by JM993
I deleted the CC from my car. If you need any parts, feel free to send me a PM.
Thanks. The parts arrived at the post office on Friday but I got stuck at work and arrived 15 minutes too late. Hope to pick them up tomorrow.

Originally Posted by pp000830
Hi,
Send me an email at andrew.hess@differentlight.biz
and I will reply with the wiring diagrams involved.
The all you will need is the appropriate pigtail ends if they truly are not present. I am shocked that the car is not pre-wired for this. I think you may have just missed them. The one on the steering column is stuffed in the dash and can only be seen if you remove the steering column covers that cover the signal stalk switch assembly. The others may be tied up a good distance from where the module(s) is normally located.

Best of luck,
Andy
Thanks Andy, I will take you up on that offer.

I took the seats out today. I removed the metal boards (as best I could) and checked underneath.

I haven't yet removed the steering wheel, but that's next. I'm a bit nervous about wrecking my clock spring or breaking the plastic clips.

Left

Right

I still haven't found the wiring but I did find all this . . .
Old 10-18-2016, 08:36 AM
YellowDieselGolf
Instructor

Ok. Bit of progress. JM993's old parts arrived (safely and well packed - Thanks!) and I've gone digging in the engine bay.

I found several unused plugs under the blower, but none that will fit the CC servo. This gives me hope that the wiring is in place but well hidden.

I've also unsuccessfully tried to understand where the servo mounts. Does anyone have any reference photos that show the servo in place?

I'm assuming its underneath and in line with the throttle cable, but I can't feel or see any holes/bolts in there.

Pics may also give me clues as to where the wiring will come from.

I haven't got around to taking the steering wheel off. I'm considering upgrading the wheel, but haven't decided on one yet.

My helper was upset that the job still hasn't been finished :P
Old 10-18-2016, 09:36 AM
Rutger Gert-Jan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The servo unit sits underneath the inlet manifold, I think you need to remove it if you want good acces. Furthermore I think the wiring is not there...

On the 964 all the wiring was there (OBC retrofit was easy on mine) but on the 993 not all of the wiring is there, if you want to retrofit an OBC you have to make you own wiring loom...same could apply for the CC.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:35 AM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts
Default cruise control

I envy you guys, Australia, Netherlands, parts of the US.
Where I live there's so damn much traffic most of the time that cc is impossible to use anyway.
On my out of town fast drives roads are challenging, and no way to use it.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:01 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by YellowDieselGolf

I haven't yet removed the steering wheel, but that's next. I'm a bit nervous about wrecking my clock spring or breaking the plastic clips.
Below are some notes from when I removed the steering wheel to replace the turn signal stalk. Use at your own risk:
  • Approximately center the steering;
  • Disconnect the battery;
  • Using long neck ball head allen wrenches release the two screws from the back side of the steering wheel that hold the airbag unit;
  • lift off and unplug the airbag unit from the button on its center and set aside;
  • take some paint or scratch an alignment point on the steering shaft to steering wheel interface.
  • Use a large socket wrench to release the steering wheel hold down nut
  • Lift off the steering wheel. Don't be too concernd about the clock spring.Instructions for resetting it are listed on a sticker right on it as well as in the shop manual.
The only advice I would add is that the instructions for resetting the clock spring involves a metal slide catch to lock it in place once reset into its center position. The locking mechanism on the face of the clock spring is a cluge and in my case was damaged. I removed it and used a long piece of electrical tape to lock the clock spring in place when remounting the steering wheel. Once the steering wheel is loosely seated so the clock spring's alignment pin is in its counterpart port on the backside of the steering wheel at 12:00 o'clock and the alignment marks on the mounting spline are lined up, I just pulled the tape out through the hole in the steering wheel the wires for the air bag are threaded.

Even if the clock spring's alignment pin is brittle and snaps off, somthing that can only happen if one has the steering shaft detached from the rack and spins the steering wheel past the turn stops, it can be repaired with a little glue and fish tank air hose, no biggie

Here are the shop manual pages on the subject:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
steering wheel sho manual.pdf (310.2 KB, 122 views)
File Type: pdf
airbag shop man.pdf (237.3 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by pp000830; 10-18-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:15 AM
YellowDieselGolf
Instructor

Thanks for the tips and advice guys. Hopefully this thread will be helpful for future noob's who want to install CC.

FSA - My motivation to install cruise is because it's hard to find a position where my legs or arms don't get tired on long trips. I'm looking forward to being able to rest my leg.
Additionally, the Australian authorities think speed cameras are the panacea for road trauma. The threshold for speeding can be as little as 3 Km/h (1.8 MPH) so I want to protect my licence too.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:48 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It looks like a replacement wiring harness is available for the 993 for a few hundred dollars, $300~$400. Once purchased the wires related to the cruse control could be separated out and installed in your car.

I would not swap out the entire harness as on a 20 year old car, where everything works, disturbing wires and connectors should be avoided as it may introduce more problems than is solves.

There also may be a cruse control dealer upgrade harness as a dealer part number that is not listed in the catalog as it is not a part of any standard configuration but a call by the dealer parts manager to the OE will find out how to order one.

Andy

Quick Reply: Cruise control DIY?