Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

I must be crazy...putting my 993 up for sale

Old 09-26-2016, 04:03 PM
JaramaGeorge
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
You quite literally have no ****ing clue what you're talking about. Look, you're new, you're proud of yourself because you read somewhere that the SAI ports/valve guides CAN be an issue, and you bought a car that had it done. But now spreading this bull**** is just making you look ridiculous and may, yet again, wrongly inform another new person.

So, lets be clear:

1. 993 valve guides were not the most robust. Some needed replacement by 30k miles, yet others went 300k miles. Tolerance stack, luck of the draw, who knows, but there is nothing to indicate that EVERY 993 will need valve guide replacement anywhere near 50k miles.

2. SAI ports clog on the NA cars. There are multiple ways to try to clean them, including taking the heads off and going all out. Many members, however, have been successful in taking off the heat exchangers, flushing with solvent, using the brake cables in a drill, etc. This is not a death sentence for the heads.
Yep, long time Porsche owner but definitely a 993 newbie here just passing on information that I've been told by countless mechanics and owners in my casual 10 year hunt for a 993. I guess Your saying they're all completely and utterly wrong. Ok, random internet guy - I'll listen to you instead.

The context of the OP was to recommend to the individual who was considering buying a 993 what to budget for. The advice was a worst case scenario - as I understand it, probably no sooner than 50,000 miles but probably before 120,000 miles many 993 owners will be faced with top end issues. Are you saying the 50,000 to 120,000 mile number is way off base for top end work? Of course it varies but I'd think it would be pretty lousy advice to tell a prospective buyer that they should plan on getting at least 300,000 miles before any expensive top end work needs to be done. You obviously have more 993 experience than I do, so what major mechanical budget advice would you give prospective 993 buyers?

As for SAI issues, which I'd think We both agree are very common in these cars. It can be dealt with in a number of ways. Outside the state of CA or if you have a pre OBD-II car you might just be able to ignore it. In other cases you might have to deal with it.

Fortunately SAI has multiple correction methods, the worst case requiring pulling the engine which is what I'd personally budget for if buying a higher mileage 993k (you may choose differently) or like another poster in this thread you may be well equipped to do the work yourself up to and including pulling the engine. Regardless, every shop I talked to about the wire ream and blow method said they could do it but they wouldn't guarantee it would solve the issue or that it would not resurface in short period. Likewise, every shop I talked to said if they pulled the heads they would guarantee its fixed right along with whatever might be causing it and that it shouldn't resurface for a long time if at all (obviously how you drive and maintain the car has a lot to do with it). In spite of your colorful imagination, never did I say an SAI issue was a death sentence to the heads. So again, what budget advice do you recommend for the potential new buyer that might be faced with an SAI issue?

Lastly, if you personally were buying another 993 and you found two virtually identical cars each with about 100,000 miles but one with a recent reputable shop top end rebuild and the other with the check engine light on and known SAI issue. Would you offer the exact same amount of money to each seller or would you expect the SAI car price to be lowered a bit to compensate for the cost you're going to have to put in it? And if you want the SAI car at a reduced cost would you start your negioations at $1500 off for a wire ream and blow job or would you start at $8000 off for a potential top end job?
Old 09-26-2016, 04:13 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

I can add a data point. My 993 has 126k miles, engine runs strong and smooth with no smoke and uses a quart in 1500-2000 miles. I'm not thinking a top end rebuild will be necessary any time soon.

SAI was cleaned out 50k miles ago and has not returned. Not sure if its a one-time fix, or just needs a while longer to recur. Either way, it seems like the SAI didn't indicate a need for a rebuild.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:35 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 731 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
I can add a data point. My 993 has 126k miles, engine runs strong and smooth with no smoke and uses a quart in 1500-2000 miles. I'm not thinking a top end rebuild will be necessary any time soon.

SAI was cleaned out 50k miles ago and has not returned. Not sure if its a one-time fix, or just needs a while longer to recur. Either way, it seems like the SAI didn't indicate a need for a rebuild.
I know several other 993 owners 96+ with the same scenario as yours. TRUTH
Old 09-26-2016, 04:45 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

97,000 miles, 1 quart per 5000, engine sounds sweet and passes smog every 2 years.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:48 PM
JaramaGeorge
Track Day

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75

That's a great data point! So I assume you had the wire and blow SAI clean out at around 75,000 miles and it's still holding strong 50,000 miles later. Do you think what you're seeing is the norm? A couple of owners I talked with that went the clean in place route ended up having to do it again about 10,000 miles later. Might have been a poor cleaning job or possibly the way they drive or maintain their cars.

I wonder how much the type of driving one does plays a part in the SAI issue? I've heard low RPM, short runs, frequent cold starts and such tend to make the problem worse.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:53 PM
JaramaGeorge
Track Day

Originally Posted by AllanH
97,000 miles, 1 quart per 5000, engine sounds sweet and passes smog every 2 years.
Nice! Do the Canada spec cars have OBD-II?
Regardless, sounds like you've got a keeper!
Old 09-26-2016, 04:59 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by JaramaGeorge
Nice! Do the Canada spec cars have OBD-II?
Yes they do
Old 09-26-2016, 05:09 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Yep, long time Porsche owner but definitely a 993 newbie here just passing on information that I've been told by countless mechanics and owners in my casual 10 year hunt for a 993. I guess Your saying they're all completely and utterly wrong. Ok, random internet guy - I'll listen to you instead.
Quad may have zero bedside manner, but he knows more about 993s than most passing general mechanics do.

I'd listen to him instead of countless mechanics and owners. Most owners don't know much, and most mechanics don't know as much as Quad about the 993.

He may come across as an a$$ sometimes, but everything he said was far more factually correct than your information, even if you were well-intended
Old 09-26-2016, 05:24 PM
user 723923490
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

If not for this forum I would have given up on Porsche ownership long ago. With reasonable wrenching skills the average owner can do amazing things with the help of the folks here. I thoroughly enjoy working on mine and look forward to the quiet months.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:44 PM
JaramaGeorge
Track Day

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Quad may have zero bedside manner, but he knows more about 993s than most passing general mechanics do.

I'd listen to him instead of countless mechanics and owners. Most owners don't know much, and most mechanics don't know as much as Quad about the 993.

He may come across as an a$$ sometimes, but everything he said was far more factually correct than your information, even if you were well-intended
Thanks for the heads up. I've got pretty thick skin, used to be on the BMW forums when I had one. Talk about a$$hats.

Actually I assumed Quad would have some good guidance, that's specifically what I asked him to provide. Once I see his responses I can factor them into what I've heard and read.

One thing is for certain, never assume a good general mechanic knows much about Porsche cars. I typically only deal with experts (independent Porsche speciality shops) on my non warranty stuff, for obvious reasons the warranty work goes to the dealer first. It all eventually becomes part of the bigger picture and Porsche knowledge base I've got wedged between my ears.

Have a great day, and by all means - drive hard and play safe.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:46 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once I see his responses I can factor them into what I've heard and read.
errr, i wouldnt hold your breath
Old 09-26-2016, 07:50 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dup
Old 09-26-2016, 07:51 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You've rationalized this issue to make yourself feel better about the money you've spent. Good for you.

Frankly, we're not concerned about your thought process or conclusions. The reason I responded (and I'll venture Oliver did as well) is to call out the incredible load of BS you've been shoveling into this forum. Please stop. The only 993 experience you have is what "you've heard." Let the people who actually work on these cars and have experience provide the advice.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:00 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Suggest you do a search here. Get to know who is who in the zoo and then read what the true experts have to say instead of doing monkey see, monkey do.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:01 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a great data point! So I assume you had the wire and blow SAI clean out at around 75,000 miles and it's still holding strong 50,000 miles later. Do you think what you're seeing is the norm? A couple of owners I talked with that went the clean in place route ended up having to do it again about 10,000 miles later. Might have been a poor cleaning job or possibly the way they drive or maintain their cars.

I wonder how much the type of driving one does plays a part in the SAI issue? I've heard low RPM, short runs, frequent cold starts and such tend to make the problem worse.
This "sai cel means top end" logic is very flawed. Bad valve guides require replacement. Sai cel can be result of driving conditions, oil type, bad check valve.

PO of my car did sai clean out at 50k miles and was back with the same cel a year later. The shop was recommending top end, which the PO was strongly against and insisted on another flush done properly. So the shop did another clean out. 8 years later and almost 50k miles with no sai issues. I'm closing on 99k miles with little oil consumption.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I must be crazy...putting my 993 up for sale