Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

CV Boots

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 03:00 PM
Pichu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure it's reasonable for some people, but that's $1100 too much for me. Plus the best part is when you DIY you can 'look around', clean up a few things that the dealer isn't going to ever touch.

Plus you can break a few more things, have the car out of commission for a few extra weeks, buy more parts, decide to lower it, do a few mods, drop the engine as the axles are already off and you're half way to a drop and ta da! $15K later, your $109 CV boot change is done!
Old 08-25-2016, 03:14 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Two of the CV boots on my car bit the dust. Decided since I do not have a lift and its is a time consuming messy job I'll leave it to the professionals. I ended up at the dealer for the work. Estimated hours and parts cost to repack and replace all 4 seems reasonable, labor rate is high but at least the guys are strait shooters when dealing with me. Something I have found to be hard to find at times in these parts.
Inners or outers? The inner CV can be cleaned, repacked and boot replaced.

The outer cannot. If the outer boot is torn, it has likely picked up grit from the road and is on borrowed time. If you are cheap, just keep driving until it breaks, otherwise, don't waste your money sealing the grit in. Replace the axle.

The are a couple of threads on modifying the outer housing so you can clean, inspect and repack, but it requires a machine shop to lathe and drill the hardened casing.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:34 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Nah, May be 3M Electrical Mastic (
FlexSeal ! Isnt it amazing?!
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2016, 02:30 AM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82

The outer cannot. If the outer boot is torn, it has likely picked up grit from the road and is on borrowed time. If you are cheap, just keep driving until it breaks, otherwise, don't waste your money sealing the grit in. Replace the axle.

The are a couple of threads on modifying the outer housing so you can clean, inspect and repack, but it requires a machine shop to lathe and drill the hardened casing.
I had torn outer boots, in my case it wasn't all that dirty. I was able to remove the old boot and clean any sign of debris out of the joint then repacked the joint and slapped a new boot on it. Just because the outer CV joint can't be taken apart doesn't mean that it can't be cleaned, it just makes it harder.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:34 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Thank you for the insights!
Old 08-26-2016, 08:35 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nine9six
FlexSeal ! Isnt it amazing?!
I like your thinkin'. Do you think two cans will be enough??
Old 08-26-2016, 05:20 PM
nine9six
Banned

I like your thinkin'. Do you think two cans will be enough??
Buy the gallon can and have extra on hand! Baaahaaha!

Alex,
I would not hesitate DIY the outer cv in lieu of buying an axle. I'm sure you're capable, but it is a messy job...
Old 08-26-2016, 05:43 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Both inner and outers can be replaced.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:23 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vincer77
Both inner and outers can be replaced.
Can you send details of how you got into the outer housing? Id love to find a better way, because cutting the crimp and drilling/tapping/screwing things back together is a royal PITA.

I know you can wiggle the boot off, Im talking about taking the cage apart to clean the contaminated grease out.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:31 PM
Pichu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cold tank that end??
Old 08-27-2016, 06:26 PM
nine9six
Banned

Can you send details of how you got into the outer housing? Id love to find a better way, because cutting the crimp and drilling/tapping/screwing things back together is a royal PITA.

I know you can wiggle the boot off, Im talking about taking the cage apart to clean the contaminated grease out.
Basic machining hand tools, with a metric or SAE drill and tap chart, readily found online. Same with the procedure of drilling and tapping...

The cage/bearings will just fall apart and only goes back together one way.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:02 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nine9six
Basic machining hand tools, with a metric or SAE drill and tap chart, readily found online. Same with the procedure of drilling and tapping...

The cage/bearings will just fall apart and only goes back together one way.
No hand tool I have would even scratch the housing... It looks like they hardened the whole housing, not just the bearing surfaces. That sh*t was HARD... I have drills that I have used to drill camshafts, they were butter compared to the CV housing.

What did you use?
Old 08-28-2016, 02:35 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I bet someone makes a CV bearing lubricating tool that forces new grease through the bearing forcing the old grease out or simply refilling it once the old lube and contaminants are flushed out with a little solvent. Similar to purpose bearing packer designed for use with plain ball bearing.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:59 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
$1200? wow, I do not in any way consider that fair.

I'm surprised you didn't just seal them up with black plumbers caulk from Home Depot
priceless.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:40 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My outer boots were not broken, so I just popped the boots off, cleaned up the grease that was accessible and replaced the boots w/o removing the axles.

Here is a DIY on rebuilding the shafts.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...servicing.html

Quick Reply: CV Boots