993 Forum 1995-1998

C4S for sale- great deal...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 10:46 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
I agree. I have my doubts about whether in 20 years, the kids growing up today will care enough to bother owning any car, let alone an old one that runs on gasoline and requires you to perform maintenance on it and look after it.
Agree! But for now I'm going to enjoy my c4s and get my value out of it by using it to its full potential.

Selling is very tempting, but all cool cars are either overvalued (older cars) or depreciate like crazy (new ones) so taking money out would require getting a cheaper car or getting out of car hobby all together for now.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:11 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
I agree. I have my doubts about whether in 20 years, the kids growing up today will care enough to bother owning any car, let alone an old one that runs on gasoline and requires you to perform maintenance on it and look after it.
This is most likely the case. Already 16 yr old boys in urban centres are passing on getting their license and instead opting for ride-share and public transit.

Electric cars, self driving cars, no cars will shape this next generation.

I don't think this will be noticeable month to month, but like every social change, one day it will be apparent and you'll wonder when that change happened.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:12 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts

993 prices have been pretty level for a year or so from what I can tell. If the sh*t hits the fan, price depreciation will effect a lot more than just 993's. I don't buy the notion today's young won't be interested in cars and therefore that will make them less collectible/desirable.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:34 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Todynot
I don't buy the notion today's young won't be interested in cars and therefore that will make them less collectible/desirable.
In 20 years, you'll be able to summon an automated pod to your house that will drive you wherever you want while you text and Facebook. You'll have no car payment, no insurance, no maintenance and no repairs to ever worry about, and your transportation costs will be at least 60% less than if you own a ratty old car that you can't text/Facebook in while you go.

I'm pretty sure everyone who is 25 and under right now, loves social media and texting and who is not independently wealthy, will prefer that over car ownership, which is about 99% of all 25 year olds and younger. They may like cars and driving, but they love social media and texting far more, and the two are mutually exclusive. Given the choice between the two, driving/cars don't stand a chance.

One day far off, self-driving will go the way of the horse, and antique cars like the 993 will be relegated to tracks only. And for good reason. 40K people die a year from self-driving, and billions are lost, almost all due to pilot error. If automated pods can reduce a majority of all deaths and money losses, the days of self-driving will be coming to a close. Sad to say, but we have shown, as a society as a whole, that we are not mature/responsible enough to handle a 4000 pound missile, as evidenced by how many people text and drive, DUI, talking on the phone distracted etc. I'd rather have the automated computer controlled pod on the road over the 16 year old texting driver every day of the week.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:03 PM
spikej
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Plus, gas prices could be so prohibitively high that no one will be able to afford to drive. True collector cars will only be museum pieces.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:07 PM
Pichu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shudder

What a dystopian future you present. They can have my keys when they pry them from my cold dead hands.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:09 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 733 Likes on 522 Posts

"What a dystopian future you present. They can have my keys when they pry them from my cold dead hands."

+1 My Sentiment EXACTLY!
Old 08-25-2016, 02:52 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts

Goof, did you write the script for the kids movie Wall-E?
Old 08-25-2016, 03:07 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 733 Likes on 522 Posts

Old 08-25-2016, 03:17 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

looks good on the outside
shame about the interior.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:35 PM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Self driving pods

Hold your horses, er, microchips. I agree self-driving cars are the future. My wife has a new q7 that makes commuting a breeze, but there's no money to be made on shared vehicles in rural areas. Can you catch an uber in central MA? Upstate NY? Or countless over towns where nice twisty roads and minivan traffic are the norm?
Maybe think twice about heirloom cars but I've only got about 20-25 good driving years left then the 'herd' will get sold!
Old 08-25-2016, 03:40 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Is that the one where everyone is fat, and the air and water have all been poisoned due to human mismanagement?

Dystopian future? Fellas, it's already here!
Old 08-25-2016, 03:51 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christian J
Can you catch an uber in central MA? Upstate NY? Or countless over towns where nice twisty roads and minivan traffic are the norm?
Nope. And many of those roads weren't paved 100 years ago either. Eventually they were. Progress doesn't happen overnight often times. But it happens.

Uber/automated cars aren't the 100% answer in 2016. But the writing is on the wall. The infrastructure is being laid as we speak, and companies like Apple, Google and Uber etc. are pouring billions into R&D for automated cars for a reason.

It's coming folks, like it or not. There's too much money for it not to come. Add to the that the potential to save tens of thousands of lives per year and billions of dollars in damage, and automated cars make a very compelling argument.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:55 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pichu
shudder

What a dystopian future you present. They can have my keys when they pry them from my cold dead hands.
Said the guy on horseback about cars circa 1910.

Guess who won
Old 08-25-2016, 04:05 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

There's a Rush Red Barchetta reference somewhere here.

Quick Reply: C4S for sale- great deal...