Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

I'm considering selling my car... Operation "Reduce Debt".

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 01:39 PM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bcameron59
Dude, if you own 4 properties in Victoria, you will be rich very soon if not already...
I have two houses and a condo in Victoria. One house is rented 3 bed upstairs and 2 bed suite down and my personal home has a 700sq ft detached work shop I rent out. Maybe one day I will will be rich when they are paid off. That is the plan anyway!

^ Tenant incentive is a good idea. It is tough to sell a house that is rented to tenants with a lot of clutter and no incentive to clean up.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:38 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Can that house be converted into 5 rental rooms? 5 * $600 = 3k.. I'm on a contract on Baltimore's west side, and there quite a few people from VA, PA etc that are renting rooms. The stay in Baltimore during the week and go home on weekends.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:58 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 996SPECticle
This is the crux, location, location, location. Is it where it will be worth $375-400 in 8 years? Close? No Way? That house and MD in general may as well be Mars to me, "why will people want to live there in 10 years?" If yes to these get creative with some non-conventionals. Balloons or FSBO if people will pay a higher mortgage than it will rent for.
In it's current state of condition, maybe with a few upgrades, It may appreciate to $350k honestly in 8 more years, especially if this Kevin Plank development is well into play by then. And, in 8 years my principal would be paid down another $90k+ so I could have, potentially, $145k+ in equity then. Definitely another $90k if it doesnt appreciate a nickel. Like I said... about a 0% interest piggy bank with a small hole in it bleeding out for repairs and maintenance. I'm convinced property taxes in Baltimore City will NOT go up for a very long time. We're one of the highest in the country currently and theyre making effors to reduce it to influence more home buying. In the neighboring counties, its less than half! 2.26/100 in the city compared to 1.1/100 and .8/100.

Move back in it for a while, homestead it and HARP it
I tried to do that before the city found out it wasnt my primary residence (and before the homestead tax credit got pulled) but neither my 1st nor my 2nd mortgages are Fannie or Freddie backed... no HARP for me :/
Old 08-20-2016, 07:02 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Can that house be converted into 5 rental rooms? 5 * $600 = 3k.. I'm on a contract on Baltimore's west side, and there quite a few people from VA, PA etc that are renting rooms. The stay in Baltimore during the week and go home on weekends.
Nah... house is too convoluted. Downstairs is all living area and upstairs you'd have to walk thru other bedrooms to get to the others. It's really a huge 1br with a 2nd floor loft living area and 2nd floor office. Currently it's being rented by 3 college grads who use the back bedroom as it is intended, the middle upstairs loft area as a 2nd small bedroom and gaming room, and then the front loft area office as a 3rd bedroom. $700/room is almost what I'm getting with no parking. Cant really argue with that.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:13 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by johnireland
How much do you realistically think you will get for you 993? I see a lot of lofty asking prices but the sales prices are more down to earth. It might be worth more than you paid for it but don't expect prices to keep going up...they might even lose some value as the economy begins to sink back into recession. Before you sell it, look at other alternative.

The house sounds like a losing stock. Throwing more money at it in the hope that in 8 or so years it might turn around is not good business. Take a loss on the house and move on. Put your time and effort into the other projects you have. Also give a lot of thought as to why you are back in credit card debt when you already did a refi to pay all that off.

If you really think that selling the 993 is going to raise enough cash to bail you out...make a list of all the other things you could cut back on to achieve a similar effect. Then start doing all those other things anyway...get your debt style under control. Maybe sell one of those other two cars you still owe money...that will reduce some of your out of pocket.

Finally when you've got everything else under control and your debt is not going up but going down, then consider selling the 993 and putting the money in the bank and don't touch it. When the time is right to buy another Porsche, don't get wrapped up in pedigree and status...a 996 in the high teens to low twenties will give you a lot of Porsche experience, and you won't have to baby it or worry about it, just drive hard and enjoy it.
I listed it today on the PCA classifieds for a "Make Me Sell It" price (or $$ + a clean 914 ). I'm not going to go into the asking price valuation or bother arguing with what RL'ers think it should sell for. It's a solid *** car with solid mods, wonderful repair and maintenance specs, etc. Someone who wants it can negotiate with me. I came to terms with the "it's only a car" outlook. It has appreciated nicely and I should probably take full advantage of that if, in fact, I do expect to realize additional expendable income once I do make some progress with this whole operation "Reduce Debt". I would drive the peepee out of a 996T but for the same cash, I'd rather have a clean 914 and a clean SC.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:32 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Juha G
I think it's all down to what you believe the house will be worth in 5-10 years and ofcourse wether you can afford the negative cash flow.
I just did this on paper... I agree. However, at the moment, I CAN NOT comfortably continue to afford the neg cashflow. Selling the 993 will afford me a few options that could potentially save me $1800/mo to potentially 3700/mo., depending on my luck, LOL. The $3700/mo figure is income I would realize after paying off an ex-business partner for a buy-out deal we made 2 years ago. I have about 2 years remaining on those payments but it would be pretty nice to eliminate that debt now and realize those payments to him as additional income to me. That would increase my income enough to endure the 12k/yr hit for 5 years and recover that in 2021 with a home sale.

Keeping the 993 isnt the main issue, it's having the liquid to do the things I need to cause the other things to happen to make some moves and etc. etc. etc.. Selling the 993 would fix several debt issues which would afford me to buy another 993 in the near future. Keeping the 993 would cause me to go further into debt to potentially make all the moves to refinance my commercial property enough to cover paying some of the debts but not all.

AAHHHHHH!! haha...

In an effort to pay off ALL my debts and immediately realize substantial income improvements, I think selling the 993 is the smart choice.

In an effort to pay off SOME of my debts and retain the 993, Im going to be stuck with that house for at least 5 more years but I believe I could stomach the $12k/yr subsidy on it IF I can get this apartment finished, rented and building reappraised, refi'd and cashed out enough to pay off those other SOME debts.

The priority now is finishing the renovation of the apartment and getting it rented. That alone pays for the $12k/yr I pump into the house I want to sell.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:34 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NYC993
Great time to be 993 seller gotta capitalize on that. Next year the opportunity might not be there when people wake and realize we are living in another bubble with asset prices propped by low interest rates. First things going for sale will be toys.
Not saying that will happen as nobody has a crystal ball, but it's a potential scenario. How well are you prepared for it esp. if you are close to retiring, if I read it right?
I think so too. I am only 42. Not retiring anytime soon
Old 08-20-2016, 07:45 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
That house sure would look more attractive cleaned up and stuff like ironing boards put away before pics are snapped, or showings done.

People should think nobody lives there when they look at it.

Back when we were looking for a new place in San Diego a few years ago-the minute we walked in and saw stuff like dirty clothes and towels on the floor-huge negative impression on the whole house. That may be the source of your "no position comments".

Maybe offer a selling bonus to the tenants.
I agree. We listed it recently to see if there would be traffic generated at that price. There was good interest and I believe the main reason it didnt sell is it looks like a 22 year olds basement apartment. I simply can not afford to sit on it empty. It would take 3-5 months to vacate, clean-er-up, list, show, sell and potentially settle even at a price I'd be taking a hit at. Thats $9000-15000 plus the costs of fixing stuff, painting stuff, upgrading stuff... plus the loss at settlement from a low sale price and commission/taxes, etc. I estimated at LEAST $25k out of pocket with that scenario. I dont have that liquid. I'd have to sell the 993 to afford to come up with $25k to cover the sale of the house.

The tenants just signed another 12 mo lease and they've been good tenants. They just leave the house too messy to show. They also dont understand what tile and glass cleaning is. I had to yell at them to clean the gross sludge up from the corners of the shower! Maybe if I decide to list it next year towards the end of their lease, I'll do that... offer them some incentive. Free months rent or something, LOL.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:47 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

$1000 apiece if it sells.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:54 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For what, moving cost? lol
Old 08-20-2016, 09:43 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Selling bonus. Better than a stick in the eye. They may keep it clean.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:41 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
How much do you realistically think you will get for you 993? I see a lot of lofty asking prices but the sales prices are more down to earth. It might be worth more than you paid for it but don't expect prices to keep going up...they might even lose some value as the economy begins to sink back into recession. Before you sell it, look at other alternative.

The house sounds like a losing stock. Throwing more money at it in the hope that in 8 or so years it might turn around is not good business. Take a loss on the house and move on. Put your time and effort into the other projects you have. Also give a lot of thought as to why you are back in credit card debt when you already did a refi to pay all that off.

If you really think that selling the 993 is going to raise enough cash to bail you out...make a list of all the other things you could cut back on to achieve a similar effect. Then start doing all those other things anyway...get your debt style under control. Maybe sell one of those other two cars you still owe money...that will reduce some of your out of pocket.

Finally when you've got everything else under control and your debt is not going up but going down, then consider selling the 993 and putting the money in the bank and don't touch it. When the time is right to buy another Porsche, don't get wrapped up in pedigree and status...a 996 in the high teens to low twenties will give you a lot of Porsche experience, and you won't have to baby it or worry about it, just drive hard and enjoy it.
shouldnt you be trolling the jetta forums or something?
Old 08-21-2016, 05:02 AM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Better than a stick in the eye.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:45 AM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 379 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by RichPugh
In an effort to pay off ALL my debts and immediately realize substantial income improvements, I think selling the 993 is the smart choice.

It is. You got to the right conclusion.

Consider picking up a 2000-2004 Boxster S in the meantime for around $10-$12K.

/
Old 08-21-2016, 11:15 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
shouldnt you be trolling the jetta forums or something?
EMB,

John Ireland's contribution was helpful and 100% on topic, unlike your unnecessary post. If you have an issue with him, send him a PM, please. A post like yours is insulting and reflects poorly on not only you but on Rennlist, too.

Can you please try to be nice? I think you have the potential to offer even more to the board if you choose to use your time for good rather than being a bully who likes to take potshots at people. I'm not here to divide but, rather, to keep the peace and try to make this community a warm, friendly and helpful place.

Thanks for understanding, EMB.

Quick Reply: I'm considering selling my car... Operation "Reduce Debt".