Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

RIP 993, 1995 – 2016 she will be missed

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 02:50 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's the point of "track insurance" if it doesn't cover replacing the vehicle?
Old 08-01-2016, 03:54 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 108 Posts

Generally the policy cost is written on the value you place on the car. if you underestimate the value and want to pay less then your screwed if something happens. Always better to pay more upfront than suffer the hit on the back end
Old 08-01-2016, 03:56 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

So sorry to hear about this. I'd say be patient and find another 993. You'll find a way to cover the difference between the price of a future car and your insurance payout.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:06 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by sdm100
Not sure I understand. You stated ...I really thought this was the car I would spend the rest of my life with. but yet you went out in heavy rain at a track that has little if no run off in less than desirable conditions. If I felt that way about my car I would have stayed in the pits. As one professional racer put it nothing good happens in the rain. Would not have mattered if it was a 993 Cayman S etc Plamer is not a track that one would take chances in the rain. Sorry for your loss but the risk was certainly there and the you paid the price unfortunatley
Way to kick a guy when he's down sdm100. By the way, the rain had stopped but there were still a few isolated spots on the track that were still damp.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 08-01-2016 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Removed JPEG
Old 08-01-2016, 04:37 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
Way to kick a guy when he's down sdm100. By the way, the rain had stopped but there were still a few isolated spots on the track that were still damp.
I agree with you regarding sdm100's insensitive comment but calling him a DB is not right either. Removing your image.

Let's try to be nice, everyone.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:17 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Yes, "Discretion is the better part of valor". Sure, there is risk but you can't learn to drive in the rain while sitting in the pits. Rain teaches you to be smooth and heightens your awareness to the max. It's a great equalizer, too. Usually, high hp cars yield to low hp "momentum" vehicles. Driving home last night in a torrid thunderstorm, it made me (and my wife) appreciate skillsets learned on track.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:05 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

You had car for 5 years and got most out of it. At least, YOU pushed the limits, crashed and walked away. You didn't get rear ended by some minivan or a truck on a sunday drive.

Like they say, there are two kinds of people who track - those who have hit the wall and those who will hit it. Bummer about insurance, but buy another car...porsche or not (many great cars out there) and keep enjoying life with it and be thankful you are able to do that after a crash without, what looks like, any sort of additional safety equipment. Loosing control in dry at much higher speeds could have been much worse.

As far as driving in the rain on the track, it's fantastic learning opportunity. Yes, you have to dial it down and be smooth, but you learn very quickly what car does when you are not in much safer setting. Similar thing happened to me at Lightning. I pushed a bit too hard (on purpose as it's an open area), hit a puddle at the apex, saw that I was running out of track out, lifted to rotate...but didn't put gas down or counter steered quick enough, next thing I was going gardening backwards.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:08 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Generally the policy cost is written on the value you place on the car. if you underestimate the value and want to pay less then your screwed if something happens. Always better to pay more upfront than suffer the hit on the back end
+1 and also insurance will reduce the pay out if you are underinsured by more than certain amount.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:59 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Nothing good happens after 2am...

As one professional racer put it nothing good happens in the rain.
Jenson Button may have a different view (2011 Canadian Grand Prix), but Vettel may agree. But neither of them pay for their rides or do the repairs...

But maybe a refined view: Nothing good happens after 2am or on a wet changing conditions track in advance (B, A, I / Red/Black) run groups.

To OP, thanks for sharing the story and history, as we can all feel for your loss and possibly learn from the experience. HPDE in the rain is a mixed blessing, great equalizer for machines, can be a great learning tool for driver smoothness, but can have major consequences over a dry track when it slightly goes wrong and conditions can change drastically from lap to lap.

Glad that you are ok, the rest is just money...
Old 08-02-2016, 03:56 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Not sure I understand. You stated ...I really thought this was the car I would spend the rest of my life with. but yet you went out in heavy rain at a track that has little if no run off in less than desirable conditions. If I felt that way about my car I would have stayed in the pits. As one professional racer put it nothing good happens in the rain. Would not have mattered if it was a 993 Cayman S etc Plamer is not a track that one would take chances in the rain. Sorry for your loss but the risk was certainly there and the you paid the price unfortunatley
I would agree with this post in general. The OP describes his 993 as a cherished possession and a part of the family. So why would it be on the track at all let alone on a wet track? I wondered about the contradiction of the original post - it was my first thought actually - why are you taking this kind of risk with the car you want to keep forever? Not much sympathy from me I'm afraid.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:06 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

You posted some beautiful pictures. Sorry to see the last few. Glad you're OK.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:18 PM
tribaltech
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OP describes his 993 as a cherished possession and a part of the family. So why would it be on the track at all let alone on a wet track? I wondered about the contradiction of the original post - it was my first thought actually - why are you taking this kind of risk with the car you want to keep forever? Not much sympathy from me I'm afraid.
Yes but as much as i enjoyed looking at my car in the garage, I enjoyed driving it on the limit even more. I thought I was taking calculated risks and counted on my generally above average luck in life so far to look out for me. I only DEd about twice a year on average for that reason. Anyways, it's done, leave and learn I guess.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:46 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tribaltech
Yes but as much as i enjoyed looking at my car in the garage, I enjoyed driving it on the limit even more. I thought I was taking calculated risks and counted on my generally above average luck in life so far to look out for me. I only DEd about twice a year on average for that reason. Anyways, it's done, leave and learn I guess.
Absolutely! I also bought my cars to drive. I drove my 993 on the track for years and now track my 991. Driving these cars on the track was the only way, in my mind, that I could justify owning them. IMO, people who have never been on a track just don't "get it". We play an expensive game, and there are risks, but those of us who truly take their cars, and themselves, to the limit are rewarded in a way that folks sitting on the sidelines can only dream about.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:57 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 93 Posts

What was the offer for the salvage? Just wondering if you can divulge...
Old 08-02-2016, 06:17 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

For those relatively new to HPDE or those at the intermediate level, please do not even think of driving on track in the rain with "R Comp" tires. Most instructors, me included, will not go out in the wet with a student unless they have proper tires. If you must, full tread depth Toyo RA1's, Bridgestone RE71R's or similar, depending on conditions will be acceptable. That's one of the reasons we always stress staying on good street tires until you can benefit from dedicated track tires. When it rains, you can run when the so-called "hot shoes" have to sit it out.

Quick Reply: RIP 993, 1995 – 2016 she will be missed