993 Forum 1995-1998

Cdr210 radio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 11:37 PM
Gjbacci
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cdr210 radio upgrade

I completed a lot of research on aux Imputes to this radio. A lot of info on the forums is incorrect or confusing. So I am posting this for clarity.

The Yatour YT btm system will not work with the CDR210. It will plug into the cd changer iso plug but the radio wil not recognize it. The Yatour YT btm will work on the cdr220 or cr220

Becker cannot put an aux jack in the cdr 210. They can put an aux jack in the cr210.

If you have a cdr 210 and you want to use an external audio device (I.e. I phone) your only choice other than replacing the radio is to use an FM transit like the ISFM21. If anyone can comment on the audio quality of the cdr210 with the ISFM transit I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:07 AM
GT917
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

BTW with my CDR21, I have an ipod connected to a yatour, the later emulating a CD changer. This works perfectly : ipod can be hidden in the glove box, is powered, and you can change songs up/down via the right 'switch' on the Becker.

I can't remember the yatour ref.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:33 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 122 Posts

Renllister 993anorak has a yatour working with his CDR-210 .... Post #9 here - https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...l#post11014951

The only functional difference between the 210s and the 220s is that the 220s can be set in the firmware to receive aux audio input on the rear ISO connectors in place of controlling a CDC3 CD changer. The 210 is unable to be set in the firmware to do this. Thats why 220s were so popular many years back --- people wanted aux input i.e. 1/8" audio plug. The yatour emulated a cdc3, so there is no requirement for the headunit to be set to aux in.

Of course as you note there are other modification options if you send the unit to becker for modification.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:31 PM
gshibayama
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi -- I purchased 993 with CDR-210 in July 2016. After extensive research, I tried below cable. It works! Installation is pretty much plug and play. I highly recommend it.

Porsche CDR210 CR210 CR21 Radio CD Aux in iPhone 5 6 Charger and Play Adapter | eBay http://ebay.to/2aHa8NE

Old 08-08-2016, 07:40 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Not sure how I missed this post, but since gshibayama just bumped it...

Originally Posted by Gjbacci
If you have a cdr 210 and you want to use an external audio device (I.e. I phone) your only choice other than replacing the radio is to use an FM transit like the ISFM21.
As someone that has a CDR210 and uses an external audio device nearly every time I drive the car, I can say with confidence that you can connect an external audio device to the CDR210 without using an FM modulator. It's not exactly intuitive. You need 2 things:

1) A working CD changer, loaded with CDs
2) A cable that will hijack the audio from the changer, but allow the rest of the changer connections to pass through. I use this one - http://www.discountcarstereo.com/3.5-BKRCD.html. It looks like the audio-only version of the eBay link above. No affiliation.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:46 PM
gshibayama
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The set up I posted with http://ebay.to/2aHa8NE does not require CD changer. So, for those who has CDR-210 without CD changer (and iPhone user), this maybe the most cost effective solutions.

P.S. this lightning connector cable uses Yatour YT-M06. Ebay seller must have customized it. Probably for copy-right reason, seller does not show Yotour product.

Last edited by gshibayama; 08-08-2016 at 08:05 PM. Reason: additional explanation
Old 08-08-2016, 07:48 PM
oldgoat
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one of these installed with my CDR210. I haven't tried it yet. None of my current devices are compatible. An excuse to maybe upgrade my phone?
Old 03-17-2017, 01:36 AM
Grant Esler
3rd Gear

I just installed a Yatour YT-M06 in my 97 Boxster with a CDR-210 and no CD changer. It's terrific. The Yatour has an aux plug. It plays music from USB2 or SD cards up to 16 Gb. It looks like a CD changer to the CDR-210 head unit. Apparently a compatible Bluetooth adapter is available from Yatour, but I bought a $9 bluetooth adapter and plugged it into the AUX port, and it works great to play from my iPhone. I can even charge the Bluetooth adapter from the USB port.
My in-dash CD player was having trouble playing burned CDs. This Yatour got past that problem. Beware the Sandisk 2.0/3.0 16Gb USB flash drives from Walmart. I spent hours trying to get one to work, then bought a 5-pack of 8 Gb UBS 2.0 thumb drives from Best Buy and they are trouble-free.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:45 AM
Grant Esler
3rd Gear

Default Change CD changer type 6-CD to 10-CD

Here's a question about the CDR-210. I want to change the setting for the CD changer type from 6-CD to 10-CD. The manual says to turn the unit off, on, then press and hold the "*" button for access to the user menu. That's how I mistakenly set it for 6-CDs. Now I want to change it to see 10 CDs on my Yatour Digital Music Changer, but it won't show the option to change from 6-CD to 10-CD type changer. I tried disconnecting the head from power for a bit, but that did not make it accept a new CD changer type setting. Any suggestions on how to change that setting?
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:00 AM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

You'll prob have to plug the 210 back directly into the changer?
Old 10-07-2019, 09:18 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 169 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Esler
Here's a question about the CDR-210. I want to change the setting for the CD changer type from 6-CD to 10-CD. The manual says to turn the unit off, on, then press and hold the "*" button for access to the user menu. That's how I mistakenly set it for 6-CDs. Now I want to change it to see 10 CDs on my Yatour Digital Music Changer, but it won't show the option to change from 6-CD to 10-CD type changer. I tried disconnecting the head from power for a bit, but that did not make it accept a new CD changer type setting. Any suggestions on how to change that setting?
Thanks in advance.
found this on another post while trying to figure this all out for a customer that purchased our BTR-2 Bluetooth Retrofit Kit found HERE

CD-Changer Type

· Press the automatic switch to access "CDC - TYPE".

· You may now choose between 6 or 10 Disc Changers.

· To choose, press either multifunction key under the "" symbols.

· To store your choice, press the multifunction key under "AS".

NOTE: no idea what the Automatic Switch is.

http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers
Old 11-18-2020, 09:24 AM
ChrisI
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Esler
I just installed a Yatour YT-M06 in my 97 Boxster with a CDR-210 and no CD changer. It's terrific. The Yatour has an aux plug. It plays music from USB2 or SD cards up to 16 Gb. It looks like a CD changer to the CDR-210 head unit. Apparently a compatible Bluetooth adapter is available from Yatour, but I bought a $9 bluetooth adapter and plugged it into the AUX port, and it works great to play from my iPhone. I can even charge the Bluetooth adapter from the USB port.
My in-dash CD player was having trouble playing burned CDs. This Yatour got past that problem. Beware the Sandisk 2.0/3.0 16Gb USB flash drives from Walmart. I spent hours trying to get one to work, then bought a 5-pack of 8 Gb UBS 2.0 thumb drives from Best Buy and they are trouble-free.
Bumping this old thread. Sent you a PM.

For anyone else reading, I'm trying to get my Yatour device to work with my CDR-210 but it won't recognize it as a cd changer. I'm just wondering if anyone else has been able to get it work with the CDR-210. Thank you.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:10 PM
Endriu
6th Gear

Hello!
I am interested in this cabling/device but the ebay page does not exist anymore
Can you provide to me the name of the supplier?
Tks and rgds
Andrea
Old 09-09-2021, 06:12 PM
Endriu
6th Gear

Originally Posted by gshibayama
Hi -- I purchased 993 with CDR-210 in July 2016. After extensive research, I tried below cable. It works! Installation is pretty much plug and play. I highly recommend it.

Porsche CDR210 CR210 CR21 Radio CD Aux in iPhone 5 6 Charger and Play Adapter | eBay http://ebay.to/2aHa8NE

Hello
I am interested in this cabling/device but the ebay page does not exist anymore
Can you provide the name of the supplier or any other useful detail?
Tks a lot in advance!

Quick Reply: Cdr210 radio upgrade