993 Forum 1995-1998

Question on towing a 96 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 09:29 AM
sdrake
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on towing a 96 Cab

Hey folks - looking for opinions on towing a 96 993 cab on an open flatbed trailer.

Do you tow it facing forward or facing backward?

The dynamics of the trailer would point me in the direction of loading it rear-first so that most of the weight is between the tow vehicle and trailer axle. Should avoid fishtailing and generally tow "better". That said, does anyone see an issue with towing a cabriolet backwards for 800 miles down the interstate?

Scot
Old 07-22-2016, 01:06 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,018 Posts

In theory I suspect it has to do with weight on the tong of the trailer. If the tong weight is within spec for the trailer I suspect it doesn't matter. Seems to me, not being an expert on the subject, but having towed a 9500 pound sail boat, when in doubt greater tong weight is better so facing back may be preferred however you may have a limitation on how the loading rams work that may preclude this option
Old 07-22-2016, 05:25 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Scot -
Once the car is secured down - DO NOT winch it back as this will damage the bumper.
Happened to a 'Lister thanks to AAA.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:05 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

I've never seen anyone put then on backwards ..

You only need 15% tongue weight, so unless the trailer is just exceptionally short, just park it with the rear wheels of the 911 centered or behind the trailer wheels.

And do check your weights...
Old 07-22-2016, 09:18 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

be a man and drive it
Old 07-24-2016, 11:46 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Have trailed it three times, each time facing forward. Handles well, the only issue is getting in & out - the trailer wheel housings prevent you from opening the door.

Just make sure you adjust the height of the trailer front to ensure you don't scrape the undercarriage or front / rear bumpers at you drive up/down the ramps. You will need a spotter to help you load & unload.
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2016, 11:58 AM
Rutger Gert-Jan
Advanced

I was told to put it on Backwards. (weight distribution)
Old 07-24-2016, 04:21 PM
suban
Instructor

I shoot for 20% tongue weight. Put the engine right over the trailer axles
Old 07-24-2016, 06:23 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Had to tow mine back from the track after after the alternator died. Put it on facing front, but driving a bit faster while passing a big rig created a suck on the rear of the trailer as I completed passing and it started fish tailing badly...all that engine out back was not helping. (Probably the most scary moment of my driving life...knowing I could wreck the993+trailer+truck on the freeway with a big rig right on my tail...and it was a friends tow rig.) Luckily driving/instructing training kicked it with "don't panic, ease up, be smooth, don't upset the car more than it already is" and I was able get it under control. got off at the next exit and flipped the car around, to facing backwards and drove it home uneventfully.

My issue was made worse by:
1. Smaller tow vehicle
2 Speed
3. Shorter trailer, so engine weight was behind the trailer axels.
So, YMMV... But note where the rear wheels will be, drive it carefully for the first few miles and don't be afraid to flip it around and see how it pulls the other way
Old 07-24-2016, 07:29 PM
sdrake
Advanced

Well, 820 miles down and here safely. I started the trip towing it backward on a rented U-haul trailer that put the front wheels just behind the second set of trailer wheels. Towed great, but gave my 13 Nissan Armada a bit of a rear sag. At about the 1/2 way mark I stopped at a relative's house that wanted a ride... Decided to load it facing front to see if there was any difference. BAD idea. Made it less than 50 miles. Fish tailing was bad enough to whip my giant SUV around. Reloaded it facing rear and made the rest of the trip with ease. Backward from here on out for me.

Now, doing a week's vacation with the family and leaving the armada for my wife and daughter to do another week. Taking 2 days to drive up the east coast in the 911 then home.

Is it bad that I'm looking more forward to the drive than setting on the beach?!?

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:12 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Rent an enclosed trailer?

In 20+ years of attending Porsche track events, I have yet to see a 911 loaded backwards. Backing up the ramps has got to be a bitch...coming down, conversely would be a snap.

I take tongue weight seriously. The standard is 10% to 15% of the total trailer weight on the hitch. I bought a Shurline (Spelling?) scale, loaded the car and had an assistant call out the weight. Yes I was in the car...so the weight was off by 250 Lns, a very small percentage of the total weight of car and trailer at 6,000 Lbs.

A load distribution hitch would allow you to get the weight balance right on the money. It will also transfer some weight to the rear trailer wheels, and allow you to level the tow vehicle and trailer. Equal-I-Zer looks to be an interesting product.

My ATC enclosed trailer has spread axels, the axels are one (1) for further apart. Trailer tows very well with no issues. I still may get an Equal-I-Zer.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
In 20+ years of attending Porsche track events, I have yet to see a 911 loaded backwards. Backing up the ramps has got to be a bitch...coming down, conversely would be a snap.

I take tongue weight seriously. The standard is 10% to 15% of the total trailer weight on the hitch. I bought a Shurline (Spelling?) scale, loaded the car and had an assistant call out the weight. Yes I was in the car...so the weight was off by 250 Lns, a very small percentage of the total weight of car and trailer at 6,000 Lbs.

A load distribution hitch would allow you to get the weight balance right on the money. It will also transfer some weight to the rear trailer wheels, and allow you to level the tow vehicle and trailer. Equal-I-Zer looks to be an interesting product.

My ATC enclosed trailer has spread axels, the axels are one (1) for further apart. Trailer tows very well with no issues. I still may get an Equal-I-Zer.
+1... 100's of events 1000's of 911s.... all front end first

That uhaul trailer is a piece of crap.... Its very short, the wheels are too far forward, and its HEAVY.. For a while they would not let you rent it separately, you could only pull behind one of their trucks.

Assuming you can move the car fore/aft, you could theoretically park it facing any way you like. But in the end you MUST MEASURE the tongue weight and reposition the car to get it right. 6 inches can make all the difference (cough cough)... Too much tongue weight is just as bad (if not worse) that too little.

You can check weight with a bathroom scale and a board... Or just to get a rough estimate, stand on the hitch and measure how much your body weight causes the car to squat.

Whatever you do, get some type of measurement, don't just go with random rules posted on an internet forum... Your life (and more importantly, mine) depends on it.

Last edited by jscott82; 07-25-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:04 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Tongue weight is...

Critical. Sherline scale, made specifically for tongue weight, works great. It's about $100, + or -, and worth every penny for peace of mind. Your tow vehicle most likely has a maximum tongue weight, as a pre-ordained spec. Violate it and "it" may violate you. Some of the stories on this string are horrifying.

On the Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch web site, they have a video that shows how the rig and the trailer are matched. It is very informative.

Towing is very serious business, as we all know. You need to have your head on right and stay focused, knowing that you can't accelerate, stop of make evasive moves as you might when not towing.

Quick Reply: Question on towing a 96 Cab