Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Battery / Tender Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 01:10 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I bought my new battery (Sears Diehard) a couple years ago, I installed in the car, and immediately put it on my Deltran tender. The light went solid red and stayed that way for about 36 hours. Then went solid red with green flashing for the next 12 hours. Then went solid green with no red light. This operation is proper for a battery connected when it is not fully charged. So like others have said, I believe that the battery as it comes from the dealer shelf (Sears in my case) is far from fully charged, and simply needs a good charge to start with.
Old 11-27-2023, 01:30 PM
redrover99
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New question on an old thread...forgive.
I have a 99 with a relatively fresh battery in it. I am storing it for the winter.
The car came with an old Porsche Battery tender. It is designed to be plugged in to the lighter socket.
After some browsing, it looks like I should one, turn the car ignition on for a bit and the turn it off. Two, plug the charger into the socket. Three, plug the charger into the wall outlet.
Some suggest locking the door but I have opted not to.
After doing each of these steps, a red light is lit on the charger.
Should I expect it to go out or change color? Is it indication that I did not follow the steps correctly?
Thanks.
Old 11-27-2023, 02:40 PM
SonnyT
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@redrover99 Red light on most chargers indicate that it is charging correctly, and it will turn to green when fully charged.

Last edited by SonnyT; 11-27-2023 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:46 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by redrover99
New question on an old thread...forgive.
I have a 99 with a relatively fresh battery in it. I am storing it for the winter.
The car came with an old Porsche Battery tender. It is designed to be plugged in to the lighter socket.
After some browsing, it looks like I should one, turn the car ignition on for a bit and the turn it off. Two, plug the charger into the socket. Three, plug the charger into the wall outlet.
Some suggest locking the door but I have opted not to.
After doing each of these steps, a red light is lit on the charger.
Should I expect it to go out or change color? Is it indication that I did not follow the steps correctly?
Thanks.
If you have the the original Porsche maintainer for that era it would be a black square’ish device that’s designed to plug directly into a wall outlet. Don’t have the part number handy but it’s Porsche branded as a “Charge O Mat”.

Just plug into the wall outlet and cigarette lighter respectively. There are no special steps required. This maintainer has just the red LED light that goes off when the battery is fully charged - it does not turn green.

When parked I leave the maintainer on and the car locked, trunk and engine deck closed. My understanding is that the car’s electrical system will then go into sleep mode and electrical draw will be minimal - about 40 ma.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:04 AM
redrover99
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mike cap
If you have the the original Porsche maintainer for that era it would be a black square’ish device that’s designed to plug directly into a wall outlet. Don’t have the part number handy but it’s Porsche branded as a “Charge O Mat”.

Just plug into the wall outlet and cigarette lighter respectively. There are no special steps required. This maintainer has just the red LED light that goes off when the battery is fully charged - it does not turn green.

When parked I leave the maintainer on and the car locked, trunk and engine deck closed. My understanding is that the car’s electrical system will then go into sleep mode and electrical draw will be minimal - about 40 ma.
Yes....exactly. The little block Charge O Mat. I have it plugged in exactly as you describe. And, a red light is aglowin.
I was concerned to even see a red light in that the battery is only 4 months old and was installed by Porsche while the car was in their hands (for a long time) for body work. I presumed that it would not require any charge since it's been firing the motor without any issues and since the car has been driven for relative long drives quite recently.
Whatever the case, it's still red after 16 hours. I'll keep an eye on.
Your comments are perfect. At least now I understand that what I am seeing is the norm for this unit and vintage car. Thank you.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:51 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

I use the same Charge O Mat on my 997.2 and just installed a new battery by my shop. Interstate flooded cell style. Energetic 35 mile drive home and maintainer’s red light stayed on for at least a day and a half. 100% normal.

The Charge O Mats I use have worked flawlessly on both cars for 22 and 8 years (993 and 997.2) respectively. They are a good little device.

Last edited by mike cap; 11-28-2023 at 10:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
redrover99 (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 08:29 PM
redrover99
6th Gear

The Chare O Mat is in charge! After about one day with the red light a glowin, it's no longer lit. The unit is apparently working exactly as is should.
I have owned this car for about 20 months. It came with the Charge O Mat. I thought that was a bit strange. The guy I bough the car from had it plugged in whenever he was not driving. I've never put any previous (sports) cars on a trickle charger. Why is it such a common practice with these?
Old 11-30-2023, 09:34 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 449 Posts

I have the Porsche charger too, but needed one for another car this year and bought this C-Tek (maker of the Porsche charger apparently). I like it much better as it shows the current state of the battery. Waiting for the red light to turn green with no idea when that might happen drove me nuts!
Old 11-30-2023, 09:44 AM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 379 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
I have the Porsche charger too, but needed one for another car this year and bought this C-Tek (maker of the Porsche charger apparently). I like it much better as it shows the current state of the battery. Waiting for the red light to turn green with no idea when that might happen drove me nuts!
I just bought the same one (CTEK MXS 5.0). I also bought their quick-connect cigarette lighter plug. The cigarette lighter plug *actually* works in the 993 lighter plug. Connecting a battery tender has never been easier or better.

Great product.

/
Old 11-30-2023, 10:00 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 449 Posts

Yep, I bought it too and find it fits the lighter socket much better than the original! I also think my 993 charges more quickly with this charger.
fatmike (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 12:17 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 239 Likes on 161 Posts

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but the older CTEK plug does not fit perfectly in Porsche lighter ports. Often need a bit of giggling to get current flowing properly.
abiazis (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 09:56 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm missing that bolt.... Does anyone know, off hand, what size that is?
Old 12-17-2023, 01:17 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 514 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by mike cap

Same here with vintage Charge o mat - see photo below.....works great - long cord.....sometime they come up on eBay - there is one for $50 pictured below....I use for my 991.2 also in the same way, but need to complete a few steps to keep socket flowing charge......I also have a Schumacher Batter tender attached to the battery that stays with the car and connect a power extension cord for charging if the car is stored for any length of time.......I charge once a month until light goes out as you said....

Last edited by abiazis; 12-17-2023 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Battery / Tender Question(s)