Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Cig lighter socket removal?

Old 06-30-2016, 03:53 PM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cig lighter socket removal?

I've been searching for an hour on this and not getting anywhere mostly other models.

Anyone know how to remove the cigarette lighter socket on our cars?

My story: The light around the surround will not come on, has power. I found a lighter with the car and it does not fit. I bought a new lighter and socket $90 and same, does not fit. I went to remove the old socket by pulling it and its not coming out. My searching on-line says, remove the radio..that's it. Other models cars like Boxters are 2 piece and you have to remove trim?

Can anyone tell me a procedure on this...I can't believe how simple this is yet if you don't know exactly what tab to push, its not coming out. I will be removing the radio tonight.

Thanks for any help!!!
Old 06-30-2016, 04:22 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Rockit
Have you seen this thread?

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...arette+lighter
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2016, 04:29 PM
Rockit
Racer

Thanks Nine, yea I found that. The lighter looks the same but they are doing on a boxster and it looks like the "trim" is different, no trim on our cars. I'll pull the radio tonight and see if I can figure it out and take pictures.

I guess the stock socket is an odd size, the new sockets are larger and a bitch to put in. I have power because it sparked when I screwed up with my all metal spring hook tool and touched the center.....must be a separate bulb for the trim that lights up.

I'll figure it out..just takes longer going in blind.

I just got the car back from paint restoration and so many little things I have to fix to make it perfect.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:23 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You need to remove the radio to access the plug that the cigarette lighter socket plugs into. I plugged my compressor into the socket and when I pulled it out, the socket came with it. I needed to remove the radio to plug it back in. Radio removal is not that hard, you will need he special "keys" to do it. Pretty cheap on Amazon if you do not have them.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:48 PM
Rockit
Racer

I'm going to do it tonight or tomorrow and take pictures. Porsche Tech told me there is two small tabs in the metal socket that hold it to the clear plastic light ring..have to pri on those 2 small tabs...says its hard. once the socket comes out the plastic ring comes out. There is a bulb in back that also that comes out with the plastic clear ring.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:25 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

If the connector is still attached you are ok. But be careful.

Last edited by vincer77; 06-30-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:23 PM
Rockit
Racer

Well....You have to remove the radio. The cig lighter socket "is screw in" you unplug the rear wires then stick your finger and hold the inside and spin the outside. It all comes apart.

The dealer gave me the wrong part...The tech told me how to get the wrong socket out.

I found a small light for the cigarette lighter and there is no where to mount it.

Anyone one know if the old cig lighter are still available...dealer seems not to know much. I will call tomorrow and more info.

Here is the old socket and new one. Old one is on the right

Name:  993%204_zpssydsacak.jpg
Views: 1826
Size:  462.2 KB

Name:  993%201_zpso6dnnyxj.jpg
Views: 1956
Size:  470.1 KB

Name:  993%202_zpsjpc9hbdy.jpg
Views: 2015
Size:  429.8 KB
Old 07-01-2016, 04:32 PM
Rockit
Racer

ok...so I found out the socket on the right is from TAIWAN. Someone made a hole in my dash to large so the stock unit will not fit. So they used and aftermarket one with a large base.

If you look at the stock cig lighter you will see two small slots....those are the slots you have to push a tab to get the center out, you can do this without the radio out and two small screw drivers, the center comes out than the base.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:47 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rockit
ok...so I found out the socket on the right is from TAIWAN. Someone made a hole in my dash to large so the stock unit will not fit. So they used and aftermarket one with a large base.

If you look at the stock cig lighter you will see two small slots....those are the slots you have to push a tab to get the center out, you can do this without the radio out and two small screw drivers, the center comes out than the base.
Are you able to connect the plug onto the lighter? If the hole is bigger than stock, the connector may be able to fit through the hole to connect it. With the stock hole, you cannot and need t access it from behind.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cig lighter socket removal?